Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my FIRST post being back in the game after being buried in my work for the last.... FOREVER

Basically The list is revolving around Dreadnoughts which im sure many of you have seen already. But I think I added a little more of a twist to it.

HQ
Librarian
Jump Pack
TOTAL 125

Elite
Furioso Dread
Librarian
TOTAL 175

Furioso Dread
Blood Talons
Extra Armor
TOTAL 140

Furioso Dread
Blood Talons
Extra Armor
TOTAL 140

Troops
Scout Squad x10
Camo Cloaks
TOTAL 170

Scout Squad x10
Camo Cloaks
TOTAL 170

Scout Squad x10
Camo Cloaks
TOTAL 170

Heavy Support

Dread 105
Missle Launcher
Plasma Cannon
Extra Armor
TOTAL 135

Dread 105
Missle Launcher
Plasma Cannon
Extra Armor
TOTAL 135

Dread 105
Missle Launcher
Assult Cannon
Extra Armor
TOTAL 135

TOTAL 1495

So take a look and see what you think. I am NOT looking to change this list heavily I have play tested for a few months now with a million different option and everything is working really well except my troops I am having issues finding a balance between a good number of troops and them being effective. So suggestions on the Troop front would be cool!

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Looking at the list above... I think you're really light on firepower.. a way to get more punch would be to add 4 squads of Razorbacks with TL Las... That would give you an answer vs lots of gunz lists...

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the list above... I think you're really light on firepower.. a way to get more punch would be to add 4 squads of Razorbacks with TL Las... That would give you an answer vs lots of gunz lists...

uhhh.... where am i going to get points for 4 razorbacks? Im looking for serious opinions and suggestions.

Thanks anyway.
Chaosftw

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
uhhh.... where am i going to get points for 4 razorbacks? Im looking for serious opinions and suggestions.

Thanks anyway.
Chaosftw
Little rude on your wording mate that was a serious opinion and suggestion you get your points from dropping the squads down to the max amount that can fit in the RB as 10 obviously can't. Doubt it'll get 4 but it should get 1 and 2

by the way YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FIREPOWER

there is a serious opinion

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little rude on your wording mate that was a serious opinion and suggestion you get your points from dropping the squads down to the max amount that can fit in the RB as 10 obviously can't. Doubt it'll get 4 but it should get 1 and 2

by the way YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FIREPOWER

there is a serious opinion
IM sorry you feel that way. But...

Everything is working really well except my troops I am having issues finding a balance between a good number of troops and them being effective. So suggestions on the Troop front would be cool!
Razorbacks are not troops...

Also when someone comes into a thread and says "put 4 Razorbacks in your list" with no explanation why to do it or how to go about doing it just seems like useless information to me. I am new to Blood Angels and SM as a whole so saying razorbacks because just falls on def ears.

Also Snipers in Razorbacks? does that do anything beneficial for them?

As for more fire power? 3 Plasma Cannons, 3 ML, 3 flamers, 3 melta guns, and 30 sniper rifles is not enough fire power? Im not playing guard here.. Also by putting 12 snipers in 2 razorbacks I would actually be losing shots .. (Razor LC + 1 fire point = 3 shots)(1 squad of 10 Snipers = 10 shots {with rending)) So if you could explain the rationing behind that I would be more incline to take it seriously.

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would add some MLs to those scout squads, just in case you are up against a transport heavy army.

Also your HQ kinda seems out of place. I honestly don't know what you could drop, or trim down, but Mephiston might be a good HQ for this list.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Razors have no fire pts.
Oh... wow... thats ummm brutal... Thanks for that important tid bit!

I would add some MLs to those scout squads, just in case you are up against a transport heavy army.

Also your HQ kinda seems out of place. I honestly don't know what you could drop, or trim down, but Mephiston might be a good HQ for this list.
Ya my HQ is literally there for force org I was thinking of making some custom model and beef him up, then paint him to look like something spectacular as more of a scare tactic lol... I have heard great things about Mephiston he is definitely an option. I could try and dump some snipers but I would have to play test that. I will try and re work a list for some play testing!

Thanks Gents,
Chaosftw

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Wow, it's hard to give advice when you respond like a tool... but it's an interesting list and might be fun... however it has a major flaw...

The basic problem with your list is that you don't have much ranged firepower. If your opponent decides to play the long range game, you're completely out of luck (except for 3 ML on dreads) And 3 furiouso dreads running from across the boad is a threat that can be ignored for a turn... So in turn 1 all of his shooting units will target the three dreads that can hit him with ranged attacks... To give an example, my 1500 codex list is packing 10 units that can break armor at range... so with 3:1 going against your three shooty dreads, your chances of making it to later rounds is limited... Next turn, your running dreads are a threat, so they get to be the priority target. Not brain surgery to figure out how to fight this list....

BTW - Your scouts can be ignored since you don't have any serious Anti-Tank. Not even a ML.... so if they're more than 36" away your scouts are useless... within 36" they could hurt light transports... but who would play you at that range?

So my advice was to put some Razorbacks into your list in order to give you some needed ranged threat that can't be ingored.

So how do we do that? I had THOUGHT everybody knew that Scouts don't get dedicated transports and that you would think of other ways to get them into your list... (guess I was wrong)

So what does? How about a 5 man assault squad that takes the Razorback as it's dedicated transport.... Then spend the points to upgrade the turret to either a TL Las or a Las/Plas. The points cost is around 150-160...

Last night when I responded, I was misreading the points on your dreads... so you could only fit in 3 squads of 5 Assault Marines with Razrobacks - not 4.... These would take the place of the snipers (remember when you said everything is working really well except my troops so you replace them with more better troops that can do more than just be an annoyance....)

Lets look at what this does... the big benefit is that you effectively double the number of long range attacks. Your opponent has to deal with 6 threats and not 3... Even most non-optimized lists can drop 3 things per turn.... But 6 is a bit harder. This gives your Furioso dreads a real chance to get close enough to the bad guy to do some damage....

Hope that the suggestion came off as both serious and clear this time...

BTW, I think you can do this list better with a Codex list... MoTF will let you take regular dreads as a Heavy choice - and would bolster defences for the scouts/objective sitters - so unless you're just a fan of the furioso, then I would be more likely to run them as Codex Marines... but whatever...

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Armor 14 will bitch slap you back to where ever the hell you flew in from. Another big problem for you is the fact that you have to walk your ass over to get to me. All I have to do is sit here and blow the crap out of your large walking bricks. You need more firepower. You might do some damage to hordes( maybe), but against razorspam you will get blown to hell.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ CLT40K: See now that makes more sense. I still don't understand why razorbacks are good. Maybe I am missing something but a single Twin Linked Las just does not sound all that appealing. As for needing so much anti armor still not seeing why. I mean the Lib dread has wings so he is not really 'walking' into combat he is getting there on turn.

I am going to have to do a lot of reading in regards to these razorbacks I must be missing something.

@Gen.Ahab: how many units in a 1500 point game have 14 armor? I realize what you mean but building an army to defend against armor 14 as its primary is not all that ideal

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Even with the flying dread, an optimized list should still overshoot you... The TL Las in an of itself ain't so great - but it's a bunker for your scoring uints, a real threat to your opponent's armor, and should be able to get some cover if deployment is friendly....

It's a matter of unit saturation... if you have 6 threatening units on the board, then it makes my target priority much easier than if you have 9... Also, with the fast vehicle rules... you have the option to refuse flank and get sideshots...

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
One of the most competitive army lists run 2 raiders at 1500. And you don't need to defend against it as primary threat but you need to be able to get rid of it without pooring everything you have in a despite attempt to stop it from eating your army alive.

·
Registered
990 Posts
First of all, the initial poster was actually trying to point you towards 5 man assault squads (RAS) in razorbacks, being rude isn't particularly constructive. A lot of players use 5 man RAS in razorbacks to reasonable/good success. If you chose to run a 5 man RAS in a razorback with a flamer, power weapon, and either an TL-assault cannon or TL-lascannon it would come to the same cost as your 10 man scout squad. It's your decision though, 3x5 troops would be a bit light & you'd have to way up the pros of having more armored/fast targets against the scouts good save, I suppose it depends on how your troops are struggling in the first place. I imagine they fail to kill much & are easily pushed off objectives?

On to the list;

HQ is good but what unit is the Librarian meant to run with? Attaching him to the scouts is a waste, on his own he dies quickly. I think his role is something to think about.

Furioso dreads are ok, personally DC dreads have been far nastier for me (I don't run either anymore despite loving them). Librarian dreads are good but I do sometimes find they miss the ability to take extra armour. Anyway, I think all CC dreads need drop pods or stormravens, footslogging is too slow. Drop pods put you right down where you need to be, just be aware that you're probably in melta range so pick your targets & gang up on them with multiple threats, Land Speeders make nice DS support here if the pods have locator beacons. Running CC dreads on foot will mean that fast armies will always stay out of melee & even the Librarian is only moving 12'' (on a successful Psychic test - Shadow in the Warp ruins this) & running D6, that means it's up to your ML/PC dreads & they're not really built for taking on tanks etc. Armies like Eldar who are fast & have melta/lance weapons will rip this list apart very quickly. If you give them drop pods then that changes your list fundamentally & would deserve an all new post. I suggest that you think about this & if you decide you want to do it then you need to think about running 5 or 7 drop pods & getting assault marines in there for your troops, I would also make the 3 x Heavy Support dreads run with a multi melta & a heavy flamer if they're getting a drop pod.

In all honesty, I don't think dread heavy lists are that competitive unless the army is built around them (drop pods/stormravens), sure it will be fun & if that's all you're after, which is the aim of the game, then just go for it! :biggrin:

Good luck!
Dallas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts