Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Been running with this list for a couple of month or so and even with my beginner knowledge of 40k ive noticed/felt im a unit short for the points i have when facing off against opponents, and seeing how many units they have compared to myself.

Terminator Lord (Warlord)
Mark of Tzeentch
Power Axe
Combi-plasma
VOTLW

5 Terminator squad
Mark of Tzeentch
2 power axes
3 lightening claws
5 combi-plasmas
VOTLW

10 CSM squad
AC has lightening claw
1 melta gun
1 plasma gun
8 bolters
VOTLW

10 CSM squad
AC has lightening claw
1 melta gun
1 heavy bolter
8 bolters
VOTLW

2 Forgefiends
Hades autocannons

2 Heldrakes
Baleflamers

Aegis line with comms relay

These are all the models i have (just to note) but i am looking to cut points back somwehere and add another unit if possible, reducing the CSM squads to 8men each, thus saving points on men/special weapon, removing the VOTLW and lightening claws is an idea ive had to free up around 100 points, with a sorcerer or helbrute in mind...

Any advice would be welcome tho :so_happy:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Remember if it is Black Legion then you cant removed the VOTLW.
Though with your current army the only Black Legion things you are getting is access to the Warlord Traits and things like PlanetStrike and City of Death stuffs as you haven't taken any Black Legion Artefacts nor have taken Chosen as Troops.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember if it is Black Legion then you cant removed the VOTLW.
Though with your current army the only Black Legion things you are getting is access to the Warlord Traits and things like PlanetStrike and City of Death stuffs as you haven't taken any Black Legion Artefacts nor have taken Chosen as Troops.
Apologies, thats my mistake in not describing my list properly, i run my list out of the standard CSM codex, the VOTLW is an upgrade i choose to use and the Black legion is my colour scheme.

If it wasnt for my abysmal dice rolling id lose the aegis line and comms relay, but its proved valuable every time i rolled for my heldrake reserves...

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Ah, so it's not a BL-book list, just a BL-themed/painted list, understood.

A couple things. There's nothing wrong with your Warlord, particularly: he's a pretty solidly build character with decent gear, but he's just... unremarkable. Higher WS, another attack and more wounds than your Termi Champion, but otherwise? Basically the same guy doing the same thing. Consider giving him something to make him really stand out--say, instead of a combi-plas, the Burning Brand. Or Fisticlaws as an alternate weapons loadout. I'd probably also give him meltabombs just to have something he can do against, say, a Furioso Dreadnought or an Imperial Knight.

As for the CSM? At the least, I would move both meltas to one squad and have the plasma+heavy weapon in the other, then probably swap the heavy bolter for a autocannon (fits well with the plasma gun), and drop the lightning claw from the longer-ranged unit's champ. Then perhaps buy a Rhino for the melta squad so they can get where they need to go with haste. Might also get ccws on the melta squad rather than bolters (or in addition to).

I'd definitely try to get a chainfist into those Termis for some anti-tank.

Unfortunately, I only proposed points hikes there, even saving a Lightning Claw. May have some hard decisions to make, to keep things at 1500 points. Swap the ranged CSM squad for cultists, who benefit more from the ADL (having bugger all else in terms of a save)? Drop a Termi? No easy way about it...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with a lot of the stuff mossy said. I run a 1500point list but mine is codex black legion so I have to pay the tax for vets. Something else to consider would be a helbrute

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE Mossy -

You're definitely right about my Warlord, tho he does work well with my Termi set up, adding melta bombs is something ill certainly put in, once i go up to 2k in intend on bringing out a Demon Prince, but all in good time.

RE Archon -

I proxied a Helbrute last time out but against my regular opponents AV12 is just not cutting it, think ill try a lascannon galore Predator with the rework of my list, i know it has side and rear armour of less than 12 but 3 lascannon shots. are something i think my list needs

Appreciate the advice tho chaps, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts