Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Im a newb with about 3 games under my belt. I seriously doubt i will ever be in a tourny, however i do like to own my mates...soooo below is a list of what i already have and under that is what im looking to purchase - but open to suggestions.

HQ
275__ Abaddon - I know he is high points, but i committed to the Black Legion cause! :p

Elites

210__ 5x Termis (VERY MESSY, NEED HELP) 1x reaper autocannon, 1x power fist, 1x chainfist, 2x combi-meltas

105_ Dreadnought (dangerous, but fun, in fact was man of the match last round taking out 5 termis + others various dudes - gg rolls :p), CCW, Plasma

Troops

218__ 8x Khorne Berzerkers (will be going in the Rhino), Champ with fist, plasma pistol, icon
65__ Rhino smoke launchers, extra armour, havoc

225__ 10x Chaos Space Marines, champ with power weap and plasma pistol, plasmagun, icon (not sure which best for these guys)

Support

150__ 2x Obliterators

This gives me TOTAL 1183 with 317 to spare.

So this is what i need from you guys :D

1) Please disect my newb list and help me out. Identify wasted points (looks at rhino and plasma pistols), and help with icon types per units
2) Identify if im weak in any spot
3) Help me kit out my terminators with decent weapons (all LC, more multimeltas etc)
4) Recommend further units

Mucho Love!

·
Has Dain Brammage
157 Posts
for the termies, I'm quite partial to a 3man squad with 1 champ with a chainfist and combi-melta, one regular with the reaper, and one regular with a combi-melta and icon of tzeentch either foot slogging or comming out of a raider. IoT means they're not worried about getting cover as the invul save is the same.

The 10man CSM squad is great with the icon of chaos glory as it allows the re-rollable Ld10 for moral tests. Best guns to give them is either 2x melta, 2x plasma, or 2x flamer, with melta being the most popular. If you can, swap the sgt's power weapon for a fist, and give him a combi weapon (I use combi flamer with the 2x melta guy setup)

Rhinos are great without the extra armour, as most of the time it's not needed. Havoc launchers are good fun, but best if spammed across multiple rhinos.

The zerkers look good, but I find that it's not worth it to give the champ a plasma pistol, as I roll badly with them, and paying 15 points to cook off your powerfist isn't my idea of a good time :grin:

If you can afford it ($wise), try getting a squad of 7 plague marines (including champ) with 2x plasma guns (or melta if there's alot of mech around) and the champ with a fist (maybe a combi-flamer? I'm quite partial to them, but they're not for everyone) and dump them in a rhino with a havoc. They're brutal to kill due to T5 and FNP, and can put out alot of hurt with the fist and plasma (or melta)

Sorry for the wall of text, hope this helps

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice list but couple of things need to be fixed
the termies don't need reaper autocannon. to many points and normally not really worth it. Just drop that termie stick abbadon with them and then put them in a raider. They get up there fast plus you have an extra pair of lascannons to help you pop some vechiles

·
Registered
802 Posts
to be honest im rather fond of rhino's - versing guard a lot my bezerkers tend to get decimated by the new leman russes :angry: i like to use four rhinos in a 1500 point game, one packed with a squad of ten bezerkers (40 strength 5 initiative 5 attack on the charge is not to be frowned at :biggrin:
A very versatiale unit im rather fond of is also noise marines - they can stand back and give the bezerkers cover fire, or with initiaive 5 and a doom siren, rip apart those nasty assualt marine squads in close combat
ive never really had much luck with terminators, being a big fan of khorne daemon weapons my deep striking terminators and lord normally get demolisher cannoned to death :angry:
For elites, why not try chosen ones? they're a lot cheaper than termies and now have the ability to outflank - with each chosen one being able to take a melta bomb, i usually have a squad of 10 to wreak havoc among tank formations :so_happy:
On the plague marine topic, they are veeeery mean, but they are also rather expenisive in points :( for 23 points a piece, they're not very hard to kill with plasma weaponry :/
on the whole, a decent list dude, not sure on the whole abbadon thing, but depends on how you use him i suppose, i prefer typhus and his man-raper to be honest :D
hope this helps dude

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worth getting a DP for my 2nd HQ to fill 1500?

Last game i was running Abbadon behind my rhino and he charged in when my zerkers did. This was pretty successful.

However i do like to DS in my Termis as well. Just ordered LC for 2 of the termis. I have magnets so i will test out some combos, but what im thinking is 2x LC 2x Combi-Melta, 1x Heavy Flamer.

Wondering if its worth getting a land raider for abaddon + 4 termis? Kinda expensive though.

Ordered 2x meltaguns for my marines and was wondering how to make this unit effective if the range is only 12"

I think my troops count might be a bit sparse and was thinking another squad of Berserkers + rhino, however i will look into the noise marines (not sure if they fit in with the lore of my Black Legion though?)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Noise Marines would totally fit in with a Black Legion force (after all, Abaddon hold the favor of all four Chaos Gods). Also, they're the best cult troop. >.>

I kid about that last part, but a squad of 6 with 5 Sonic Blasters can lay down 15 shots if they didn't move and you have a Noise Champ, that's an AP3 flamer template to lay down as well, so they're nothing to scoff at.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey I know Dakingofchaos is not fond of the plague marines and says they are easy to kill with plasma but this is just not true if they are in cover they can get 2 4++ saves( cover save and feel no pain roll) how is that easy to kill and with their toughnes of 5 they are pretty safe againts most standard fire arms that troops come with. unless your opponant goes off the deep end and starts shooting every dang thing in his army at them,( which you should have another duplicate squad) they will be fine and even in that instance you will still have a few left after the shooting madness. as far as objective holders these guys are some of the best that 40k has to offer. and totally worth their points(you dont even need a ten man squad to get two special weapons). so i would totaly recomend getting a squad of these guys, hey if you are still not sure just proxy some in your next game and try them out since you are just playing friendly games right now i am sure your buds will not mind, then if they perform well get them if not then post to the community that i am full of squiggoth dung haha. but i am telling you you will like the way they perform even if you mess up they are tough enough to give you a break and correct your mistake with out getting them wiped out on the turn you FUBAR'd.

as far as your reaper auto-cannon this thing is only useful against popping transports, get a 3 man squad with only a reaper and park his ass right in the front center. and dont worry, in my experience no one will shoot at them if they do woo hoo wasted shots for them if not you will pop a rhino or 2. and remember if you only pop one rhino you got your points back.

the land raider will get popped every battle its just too intimidating and this would be ok if it did not cost so many point to field. it is an A+ fire magnet and can take a few hits but those points will most likely be better used paying for 3 obliterators as they can get in cover and the land raider can't. also i have never had the Land raider get his points back ever. oblits on the other hand have made me smile more than once. dont get me wrong in a low point game throw that land raider in there then the whole fire magnet thing shines as they wont have enough anti tank to effectively deal with it but any game 1500 and over it probably wont last for very many turns.

Daemon Prince always is worth taking for your HQ. wings and warptime with no mark( 155 points) he will be a beast and he will fit in with your Undivided( black legion ) theme.

so onward with the black crusades!!!

ok thats all i have to say about that
Sen

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay new revised list. I appreciate everyones input and if you could have another look and see how this one goes.

I have the CC with khorne
Heavy Support with with oblits
Support roles with CSM and Termis (i also have the option of kitting out my termis with 4x LC + something else :biggrin:)
Objective holders with Plague

Now worth going rhino for plague or another obliterator making 3 total? Also 7 plague marines per box makes me sad :'( This enough for a successful unit?
Also i might switch my plasma guns to the normal CSM unit and give the plagues Meltas?

HQ
275__ Abaddon - I know he is high points, but i committed to the Black Legion cause!

Elites

210__ 5x Termis 1x reaper autocannon, 1x power fist, 1x chainfist, 2x combi-meltas

105_ Dreadnought, CCW, Plasma

Troops

231__ 8 plague marines, champ with power fist, 2x with plasma gun

218__ 8x Khorne Berzerkers (will be going in the Rhino), Champ with fist, plasma pistol, icon
65__ Rhino smoke launchers, extra armour, havoc

225__ 10x Chaos Space Marines, champ with power fist, 2x melta, icon (not sure which best for these guys)

Support

150__ 2x Obliterators

This gives me TOTAL 1414 with 86 to spare.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would loose the Reaper and get some Lightning claws, add a landraider for the Terminators and then throw in either some Daemons or a few more troops with whats left over.

But with wour new list I would get another Obliterator.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Lose the PF on the Termies. Since these guys are without a transport and you deep strike them in, leave the Reaper. If you footslog the unit needs to be taking shots at transports. If you deep strike you could end up out of HF range.

I would drop the plasma on the Dread. Heck, I would even consider dropping the Dread altogether for another Oblit.

Drop one PM. If this is a sit at home squad then you could reduce to 6 PM’s, or you could drop all Champ upgrades. I don’t spend many points on a squad that may not fire much during game, and I would even consider using a melta gun and a flamer instead of plasma.

Drop the plasma pistlol on the ‘Zerkers, and the Havoc Launcher.

Give the CSM IoS; they’ll be able to handle their own better against MEQ’s in CC with I5.

Give the CSM a rhino.

And lastly: Abaddon + termies + LR at this point level is much too expensive of a hammer unit, I would not do it.

Good hunting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts