Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm getting close to what I want for an army. I still have a couple of decisions to make and need some help. Here's the list so far:

HQ
Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS

Chaos Sorcerer - 125
MoS, LoS

Elite
8 x Chosen CSM - 219
Asp Champ, PF, 2x Flamer, 2x Melta, IoCG

Troops
10 x CSM - 240
Asp Champ, PW, Rhino, Ex Armor, IoCG

5 x Noise Marine - 140
Blastmaster

5 x Noise Marine - 140
Blastmaster

Heavy Support
Obliterator Cult - 75

Obliterator Cult - 75

Vindicator - 150
Demonic Possession, PMTL Bolter

Defiler - 150
Remove Heavy Flamer, add CC arm

Points - 1469
Models - 34

So, my dilemma. I have 30 points left and I thought of these two options.

Option 1 - I could upgrade the Chaos Sorcerer to another DP.

Option 2 - I could change the Chosen Powerfist to a Power Weapon, giving me 40 points and give both NM squads 4 Sonic Blasters.

What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Couple of quick comments:

The obliterators have to be combined into one unit as they have a 0-1 restriction

I would always leave one guy i your noise marine squad without a special weapon (i.e. no sonic blaster) as a wound sponge.

Unless your at I 5 always use a powerfist over a power weapon. It adds so much to your unit

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
What psychic power does the sorcerer have?

Obliterators are not 0-1. They're not really worth taking, though. For your points, you might be better off taking an under-strength anti-tank havoc squad. Maybe six with a pair of missile launchers? They'll live longer than the obliterators, if nothing else, and you're bringing the obliterators for the same purpose.

No need for the wound sponge... it detracts from the effectiveness of the unit and you're strapped for points. I would, however, add men to the Noise Marine squads. Make them at least six strong, if only for fluff purposes. I'd give the sixth man a sonic blaster, though.

I do agree about the power fist-- I'd issue them to everyone who can have one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latest update.

HQ
Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS

Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS

Elite

8 x Chosen CSM - 209
Asp Champ, PF, 2x Flamer, Melta, IoCG

Troops
10 x CSM - 250
Asp Champ, PF, Rhino, Ex Armor, IoCG

10 x CSM – 185
Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher, IoCG

Heavy Support

8 x Chaos Havoc – 170
IoCG, 2x Missile Launcher

Obliterator Cult - 75

Vindicator - 150

Defiler - 150

Points - 1499
Models - 41

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Latest update.

HQ
Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS

Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS
These are beautiful. Good picks.

Elite

8 x Chosen CSM - 209
Asp Champ, PF, 2x Flamer, Melta, IoCG
I'd suggest Terminators or even Possessed to be honest. Terminators with combi-plasma guns can be absolutely deadly.

Troops
10 x CSM - 250
Asp Champ, PF, Rhino, Ex Armor, IoCG
This is hardly very Slaaneshi... ;) No, in all seriousness this is fairly solid though they need at least a meltagun.

10 x CSM – 185
Nice.

Heavy Support

8 x Chaos Havoc – 170
IoCG, 2x Missile Launcher
Try going 6 men and 3 missile launchers. That way you have 1 body for each missile. It'll save you some points.

Obliterator Cult - 75
Not bad considering how many icons you have.

Vindicator - 150
Lovely.

Defiler - 150
I'd lose the reaper autocannon, too. It just doesn't have the hitting power and even twin-linked has to rely upon the Defiler's poor BS.

Finally, you have 4 HS choices. You'll need to remove at least one for this to be a legal list if you're using the standard FoC.

Good luck,

Katie D

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Thanks for the breakdown. I'm still learning and I'm not familiar with FoC. What is that?
The FoC is the Force Organization Chart. You'll find it mentioned in the Core Rulebook and your Codex. You know the little chart that shows that you must have at least 2 Troop choices and 1 HQ choice? You'll notice that there are only 3 Heavy Support boxes available, meaning that you can only take up to 3 Heavy Support units in a single game.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With Katie's input, I came up with this. Not sure if I should go with the squad of 6 Termies or break them up into two squads of 3 shooty Termies and 3 CC Termies.

HQ
Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS

Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS

Elite
6 x Chaos Terminator - 230
Champ, PF, 4 x Combi-Plasma, Combi-Melta, Heavy Flamer

Troops
10 x CSM - 265
Asp Champ, PF, Melta, Flamer, Rhino, Ex Armor, IoCG

10 x CSM – 185

Heavy Support
8 x Chaos Havoc – 210
IoCG, 4x Missile Launcher

Vindicator - 150

Defiler - 150
Remove Heavy Flamer, add CC arm; Remove RA, add CC arm

Points - 1500
Models - 38

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I'm getting close to what I want for an army. I still have a couple of decisions to make and need some help. Here's the list so far:

HQ
Demon Prince - 155
Wings, MoS, LoS

perfect.

Chaos Sorcerer - 125
MoS, LoS

check check (LoS is amazing right?)

Elite
8 x Chosen CSM - 219
Asp Champ, PF, 2x Flamer, 2x Melta, IoCG

Troops
10 x CSM - 240
Asp Champ, PW, Rhino, Ex Armor, IoCG

5 x Noise Marine - 140
Blastmaster

5 x Noise Marine - 140
Blastmaster

Heavy Support
Obliterator Cult - 75

Obliterator Cult - 75

Vindicator - 150

Defiler - 150

Points - 1469
Models - 34

So, my dilemma. I have 30 points left and I thought of these two options.

Option 1 - I could upgrade the Chaos Sorcerer to another DP.

Option 2 - I could change the Chosen Powerfist to a Power Weapon, giving me 40 points and give both NM squads 4 Sonic Blasters.

What do you think I should do?
drop the PF for PW, add more sonic blasters or try giving your chosen doom sirens but its whatever works for you man, luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I'm also working on a 1500 point black legion army. It is majority Slaanesh with some khorne and nurgle mixed in.It looks a bit like this:

Daemon prince
Mark of Slaanesh
Wings
Lash of Submission 155

Chaos Sorceror
Mark of Slaanesh
Lash of Submission
Personal Icon 130

5 Chaos Terminators
Champion
Pair of lightning claws
Icon of Slaanesh
Power fist
Reaper autocannon
3x Combi weapon 235

5 Khorne Berzerkers
Skull Champion
Power weapon 135

5 Khorne Berzerkers
Skull Champion
Power fist 145
Rhino
Combi weapon 45

5 Noise Marines
5 Sonic blasters 125

5 Noise Marines
5 Sonic blasters 125

5 Plague marines
meltagun
flamer
Personal Icon 135
Rhino
Combi weapon 45

Land Raider
Dirge caster 225

This army is designed to work in 5th edition, taking an assumption that the prerelease rules are relatively accurate.

As things stand I have gone for more, smaller units rather than fewer, larger units. That will need testing but I think that having a larger number of scoring units, and more flexibility, will help. Note that according to the rules that I have seen the importance of being above or below half strength seems to have gone in terms of whether a unit can score. Since my guys are fearless as well, I've gone for squads of 5, not 6.

Killing tanks looks like a real problem and I'm not really sure how to do it. The problem is that CSM troops don't have any efficient way to take tanks out (10 CSMs and a lascannon or a 40 point scattering blast master don't really impress me), so I have to look elsewhere. Several of my units are able to take vehicles out in CC of course, which may help. I've gone for combi-meltas on my rhinos as well (a nice chaos only upgrade) so that these can potentially be a bit of a threat after dropping off their troops. The land raider might shoot a tank or two dead, though at the beginning it will probably work as a transport. It may be worth it to swap the termies for some kind of serious anti tank unit(s), but I do like initiative 5 power weapons.

The land raider looks so hard to kill there may even be an argument for taking two of them with zerkers in both. I'd probably have to drop the termies in that case but I would have quite a scary assault that would be very hard to stop and not actually all that insanely expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts