Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have taken all your suggestions onboard, but the tourneaments here usually have a 'no special characters' rule. as this is the case, what should I do to alter the list to make remain competitive but without scoring sternguard.

I'm guessing I should go back to basics; what i have so far as the core of my list is:

Librarian-100
force dome, null zone

Sternguard-185
power weapon, 2x combi-melta, rhino (librarian goes here)

Tactical squad-220
flamer, MM, power weapon, rhino

Tactical squad-220
flamer, MM, power weapon, rhino

Scouts-100
bp & cc weapons, power fist

LSS-65
MM

Land speeder-180
2x typhoon

Land speeder-180
2x typhoon

Vindicator-115

Vindicator-115

leaves me with 25 points to spend.

I've tried to streamline the list a bit, while still keeping it able to deliver a punishing blow before the enemy can properly react (in the form of the scouts 1st turn assaulting and destroying/tying up the nastiest firepower the enemy has) The librarian with the sternguard will either give me moving cover or weaken enemy units' saves. The tacticals will follow the sternguard, acting as midfield units who will be used in a more opportunistic role than actually rushing blindly towards the enemy. The speeders will be my mobile fire support, as well as my main way to deal with MCs and vehicles. The vindicators will support the rhinos and act as distractions (demolisher shells tend to be good at that), hopefully making the opponent split their fire and letting more of my units achieve their objectives.

how does the list look to you? should I upgrade the tactical squads so they can play a bigger part? is my tactic viable?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since I know you are fighting Chaos as well Null Zone can be useful as well as the Force Dome, so the Librarian is ok.
The Sternguard would be useful against mech and normal units.
The Rhino and Tacticals is a nice idea, he'll get them close enough for the MM's penetration bonus against vehicles but also to cover the Sternguard and Librarian.

Use the LSS' Scout Rule, maybe it would be suicidle but if you begin you'll be able to crack a vehicle or just use it as a distraction while the rest of your army would move forward.

Scouts would use their scout rule to outflank and surprise the enemy, again it might cause them to die but it would be fine, you'll have your main army proceeding forward.

Deep Striking your Land Speeder might also be a good idea, just hope you don't mishap, if you play an objectives game it would be useful to drop him on an objective so they'll just contest it, something that might win you the game, or if it's another mission, just to again, distract the enemy and finish some of them off while the actual army proceeds forward or also kills.

The two Vindicators are a really good idea, you already know what to do with them :)

About the 25 points, you can get another Sternguard Guy :)

Hope it helps,
Acoustico

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I will be using this against MEQ's (my regular opponent plays imperial fist/ slaanesh CSM, but without lash), but i want to be able to take out 'nids, guard, orks, eldar, deathwing etc.

Actually, I was planning for the scouts to sit in the storm so that if i have 1st tusn then i can move them up and potentially destroy 2 vehicles+tie up a squad in 1 turn. If i dont get 1st turn, i would outflank them as they are very fragile.

good idea for how to spend the 25 points, another marine with super bullets is always a good thing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts