meltagun, ML, razorback

Tactical squad-210
flamer, ML, razorback

Ironclad-180
heavy flamer, drop pod

Vindicator-115

Vindicator-115

Autolas-120

leaves me with 15 points, maybe a power weapon or meltabombs.

The plan is the same as before, autolas and missile combat squads sit back and provide fire support while the razors and the vindis rush forward, blasting chunks out of the enemy as they advance. hopefully the enemy will focus on the vindis and not the razors, allowing them to drop off their cargo. The ironclad drops in and distracts the enemy, hopefully taking out something valuable in the process.

What do you guys think? would this be viable as a take all comers list? or do i need more ranged support? is my battle plan sound?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd drop the Vindicators and the Ironclad, i'm not sure how well the ironclad will work if you only have one unit drop podding in, and if you walk him on the board i'm not sure he can keep up with the rest of your army. maybe change his wargear to something else. I'd be more comfortable with more preds in the place of the vindis, they tend to be a one shot deal, but that could be a playstyle thing.

-Narik

·
Registered
344 Posts
1. Drop the razors for rhinos shooting out the top with combimeltas is priceless.

2. You need a lot more anti tank at rang one autolas won't cut it, use the extra 5 points from the razors to rhino switch to upgrade those vindis to auto las.

3 The ironclad doesn't fit too well drop him for some landspeeders or some more sternguard.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i had really good success with drop poding in sternguard on objectives during my last tourney, and i didn't use pedro. had i, i might have won more games. that said a liby with force dome can add a lot to the squad and 5+ cover he gives can save them if they get caught out in the open. ohh, and you can choose to combat squad at the time the DP opens not b4 the game, that's awesome as a Sternguard combat squad can ajust ammo to kill whatever if finds itself next too.

I had previously used the same tactic of droping in a vendread to distract and try and take out static heavy squads and never really had much success with it.

Rhinos are you best friend, but with a razor only being 5 more points for a BH, it can still bring a Combat squad onto on objective. try a mix of the two, for some reason people go for the razors with a lot more zeal even tho they are only 5 more points than the Rhino and carry half the danger inside them.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey check your codex (sorry I'm at work) but I believe the base cost for a full Tac squad and Razorback with TL Las (or las plas) is 245. And I think you need the shooty punch they provide. This will means you'll have to shave points somewhere...

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
IMO, a heavy bolter razorback cuts your ability to assault by 50% and takes up a the turret bits for a meaner gun.... Yeah, it's cheap... but if you want to run 2 vindis, then you need to get the long range punch from somewhere... so it's either razorbacks or speeders.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well i dont have speeders or predators, so any way i look at this, I have to buy more minis to make this viable. ah well, but i need to set a budget. I could buy 2 more preds, or 3-4 speeders (+ the typhoon variant i currently have).

I personally like the ironclad, but i have been using him rather much, might be time to give him a break, although would it work if i put one of the sternguard squads in a drop pod to come in from reserves and grab an objective later on in the game?

should I go the way of the speeder or the way of the autolas? decisions, decisions

that means i have 415 points to spend on this army, more if i swap out razorbacks for rhinos (this may be good so i can keep the tact squads together in annihalation missions) for a maximum of 435 points to spend. Any suggestions?

EDIT: just noticed that if i remove the vindis i should try to get some templates into the list to fight hordes/if an enemy unit is bunched up for some reason (roll of a 1 for consolidation from CC etc), should i get 2 whirlwinds as heavy support and get some speeders to help with long range armour suppression?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Whirlwinds = suck

The speeders dropping little blasts will work just fine... IMO.. not as scary, but less of a fire magnet.

Though to be honest, I don't worry about hordes too much... With orks, they don't have a whole lot that can hurt you - One PC in a mob ain't that scary... and you hit them with combined fire. And with 4 squads of infantry sitting in cover (how many ork players drop another 30-ish points for stickbombs anyway) you'll be set up just fine for that senario. For Nids, I only really worry about the big bugs anyway...

·
Registered
48 Posts
i love where you are going with the list though, pedro/taskforce. something that works against all comers and rocks capture control missions. i would definately add the 6th man to the sternguard squad that doesn't have pedro attached - and i'm tempted to go all combimeltas because our club is tank and MEQ heavy, but the flamer and melta combo you have is rockstar against IG, bugs or da boyz.

you must go with rhinos on the tacts because rzb only holds 6 models. rhinos and rzbs, it's a fast list you have going.

personally i think the ironclad can wreak serious havoc. i would always go with chain fist or seismic hammer which are vanilla and the vanilla underslung mg is great. dropping him in solo in the drop pod is ballsy and sometimes hes going down like a bitch at all that cost. but at AV 13 and ignoring all stun results all the time, your boy is usually going to be popping an enemy tank or heavy unit right away and i mean turn 1 or drawing alot of fire if not making it to cc due to drop scatter. av 13 and stun hits doing nothing means your opponent is going to be focused on him first, which is letting the rest of your list - 2xRZB and 2xRhinos rush across the board, maybe saving that pop smoke for turn 2 or 3.

but these guys are right, he goan diiie sometimes all alone in his drop pod having to drop by himself first turn.

my only thoughts on your list isn't re-arranging the heavy support, but your lack of any rockstar cc troops. sternguard have 2 attacks, but no toys or assaulty perks. as a matter of fact, to get the most bang you want to be shooting rapid fire with that special ammo as much of the game as possible, not allowing you to assault.

bikes are a costly (IRL) option that goes well with your list but also does some of these things. more fast, more shooty.

but i think the vind + pred combo may be your best bet for mobility's sake. the whirlwind is rockstar against nid, ig, ork, eldar infantry - it's a murderfest! models for the model god! but against MEQ anything and armor, even transports it's rubbish. for the cheap cost and a club full of squishy armies, rockstar. against the rest of the world and tournament lists, it's pkew-pkew-ah-fack-i'm-dead.

maybe lascannon up those tacts for 20 pts for extra bang on the list, but it steps away from your whole versatility thing. although, lascannon is versatile: it kills everything.

maybe even go with a command squad in another rzb with a champion and an additional power wps. this will be pedro's squad to rush cc from and freeing up for two squads of 6xsternguard. but then you can't afford much mech that way.

it's tough to go with a 1500 pts hero list imo. you gotta pick which few things to do, but you can't do it all. if you're good at keeping your 'rines alive, trust your meltas. :) its working for me this season.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm on the fence about removing the ironclad, as he has repeatedly been able to take out 1/3 of the opponent's army over the course of a game (a tactical, razor with command and HQ sternguard etc) but has also repeatedly come in; done jack, and then died(but this may not be so bad as it draws fire away from my fragile transports rushing forward). what alternatives would you suggest? I think Im going to buy some more speeders, I have played against them, and they are a real bitch, but they go down easily.

What about dropping the razorback from one of the sternguard and giving them a drop pod? depending on the opponent and the scenario, I could rapid fire/combi weapon a whole squad 1st turn, or come in later on and capture/contest an objective (this is if the list has 2 drop pods in it)

I personally am not a huge fan of tooling up a command squad to be good in cc, since they have 3+ saves, but might be worth considering. can you suggest any builds for a good command squad that doesnt end up being a point sink?

what should i get for my heavy support? 3x autolas might not work, except in friendly games where I can proxy in a rhino. could i get speeders to do the job of the autolas, but with more mobility/anti-horde, and keep the 2 vindicators in the heavy support?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
As long as you have 6-7 ranged threats at 1500, the rest is gravy. You can certainly keep the Ironclad... Just make sure you offset him with other ranged firepower.

Your basic problem with this list is that you're trying to fit 10 gallons of stuff into a 5 gallon hat. So you could keep Pedro and the sterns, or keep the Dred, or keep the vindis... but it's hard to keep all three and maintain the needed firepower.

Were it me, I'd drop the vindis for more Autolas. And I'd drop a tac squad for two typhoons... That would give me 6 shooty things plus the ironclad drop pod fun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i for one am edging toward an iron-clad dread myself and i have a similar list as you do. i think you playing the way you like to play is your best bet. most units can be adapted to situations so long as they're played accurately... so long as you believe in their style. I like speeders, so i'm making them work. I agree that you don't have much in the long range zapping things category, maybe you don't need it. by the sounds your list moves forward fast and your dread bombs in to distract and destroy if possible.

do you usually get a lot of shots off with your razorbacks or is lugging in your entire tac with a rhino worth a try?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
most units can be adapted to situations so long as they're played accurately... QUOTE]

Sorry mate, that's just wishful thinking. I think you need to have a strong list if you want to play a competetive game. Saying "take whatever and you'll make it work" is a recepie for failure and only works if the folks you're playing run "non-competative lists too.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
"i think you playing the way you like to play is your best bet"

But you're right on with this advice... If you totally dig a certain unit, you can take it and still have a good list... and you SHOULD take the things you dig. But you've also gotta balance out your list at the same time. Which is actually pretty easy if you're not trying to mix and match.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts