Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to a tourny list so I wanted to run it by you.

HQ-

Rune Priest-100
(Powers will vary on opponent)
WGBL-130
w/ Frost Axe
Storm Shield
Saga of the Beastslayer
Wolftooth Necklace

Elites-

3 Wolf Guard-124
w/ 2 Combi-Meltas
3 Power Fist
(Two with Combi's and PF attached to GH squad #1 and #2. Third WG attached to GH squad #3.)

5 Wolf Scouts-85
w/ Melta gun

Troops-

#1 8 Grey Hunters- 185
w/ Melta
Wolf Banner
MotW
Rhino

#2 8 Gray Hunters- 185
w/ Melta
Wolf Banner
MotW
Rhino

#3 9 Grey Hunters- 150
w/ Melta Gun
Wolf Standard

Fast Attack-
3 Thunder Wolf Calvary-200
w/ Thunder Hammer
Wolf Claw

Heavy Support-
Predator Annihilator-165

6 Longs Fangs- 140
w/ 5 Missle Launchers

Plan is to have two mobile Gray Hunter squads in Rhinos with the two kitted out Wolf Guards and the 2 HQ's to run with them. The TWC can either run behind, in front of the Rhinos to provide a major punch or can be held in reserve for a counter-punch. Predator is for popping tanks and MCs, scouts OBL and pop tanks, contest objectives, or kill Guardsmen/Tau. The rest is pretty normal. I have played with this for about a month to tweak it out and feel pretty good about it. I have played against Orks and Tau so I feel like I have run the spectrum of what I would probably have to address.

What do you think?

·
Registered
324 Posts
ok, will take it bit by bit

HQ - you can't vary your powers from game to game. The powers are chosen as wargear and so you can only have the 2 for all the games if it's a tournament. That being said, I reccomend Living Lightning and Storm Caller. you can do storm caller when you're moving at cruising speed, so if you need to close in against shooty armies it'll be very useful. LL needs no explanation.

The battle leader is ok if you want him, but I feel he doesn't add much to the GH squad. The main purpose of those squads is to control the midfield and capture objectives. Considering they're in the rhino, it'll take them 2 turns to assault. The issue is that non-CC units you'll kill with your GH+WG anyway, and dedicated CC units will walk all over GH+WGBL. if you want to have a beefy CC character, I'd reccomend giving him a TWM and joining him with the TWC.

Elites
I don't like the scouts so much, but they're not horrible. I see the point of having them in there, but if you need points to change the WGBL as elaborated above, I'd remove them first.

Fast Attack
seems fine, you may want to change the Wolf Claw for a SS to absorb some of the low ap stuff you'll inevitably be shot with.

Heavy Support
The long fangs are cool, the predator is too expensive for what you get. You don't have enough armour to saturate the field anyway, so might as well go with more fangs. Get 3 units of fangs to help with target saturation.

in all, it's solid enough, although slightly points-inefficient in the parts I mentioned. with the changes I proposed you'll get the same midfield + objective capturing presence, you'll make your TWC beefier and more of a fire magnet (but with 2 SS they'll live long enough), and you'll have more suppression fire in the form of missile launchers.

hope that helps,

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Looks like you have a unit of grey hunters on foot. That's a huge nono in my opinion. They will be lash bait.

Lose the annihilator and WGBL and get yourself a land raider (whatever type you prefer, but probably the lascannon variant). Put the grey hunters in it. That gives your army a real punchy unit for going across the board and taking objectives.

It's a reasonably well-constructed list otherwise. The units are about right and you have a decent mix of scoring units, hitty stuff and guns. The land raider with the thunderwolves will be a nasty thing for opponents to have coming at them.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Your wolves are illegal. Drop the wgbl.... He sucks and isn't worth the points so go with something else. I would go with lf ml squads with plas las razors.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Your wolves are illegal. Drop the wgbl.... He sucks and isn't worth the points so go with something else. I would go with lf ml squads with plas las razors.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Drop the scouts for something that will do something. Use them to buy razors. Sorry for the double assistance post but I didn't notice the scouts the first time.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What Someguy said pluse i'd ditch the Scouts to upgrade the WGBL to a Wolf Lord, same set up.

good hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good suggestions, so I will ponder on them after I see how the tournament goes since I don't have enough time or money atm to upgrade the list in time. But thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts