Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
this is my first post on here:victory:

I'm in need of some advise about the chaos space marines and particulairy my non existing army. I would like to build up a 1500pnt army with the following 'requirements', here they come in order of priority;
- semi competitive (meaning that i can take it to a tourney and not get whooped just because of the list i bring)
- 2 defilers, those things are bad ass
- low amount of modelcount (big models still count as 1 though ;) )
- 1 unit of jump infantry
- if possible a unit of noise marines (battlegear isnt really relevant)

this is my 1500 list i came up with in the first case.
Chaos lord
mark of slaanesh, jump pack, murder sword, sigil of corruption, combi melta, melta bombs
170 pnt

TROOPS
9 chaos space marines
champ; lightning claw, combiplasma
2 plasma guns
mark of slaanesh
transport: chaos rhino
235pnt

9 noise marines
champ; doom siren
transport: chaos rhino
213pnt

9 noise marines
champ: combiflamer
blastmaster
203pnt

FAST ATTACK
8 raptors
champ: combimelta + lightning claw
2 meltas
mark of slaanesh
207pnt

HEAVY SUPPORT
2 defilers
2 dirge casters
400pnt

1 Obliterator
xxpnt

total 1498

I mainly play fantasy and like a tactical challange so i dont want a 'point click and die' kind of army. Now i dont know if im missing any holes in my list or when i face certain enemies that i just cant beat from the start i would like hear it and offcourse get tips and pointers to keep in mind.

as said, i dont own any models. I always liked the defilers, so my army should be the backbone of this army.
also, If the defilers are walking pieces of :russianroulette: please let me know. then i might just stick to my imperial guard army which is 5% completed :p

many thanks for your read and any advice you could give me on this list.

With kind regards,
Loempiaketzer

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not read any positive posts on the defiler. But the Daemon army Soul Grinder is a similar big nasty...in fact they walk on the same chassis.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
If I may I'd say something about the defiler: it's a waste of points AND Heavy Support slot.
I've playied it three times and have never been satisfied. unreliable, uneffective and frail. 400 pts are a crapload of points (almost 1/3!!! of your army in two models...) that you could better use in a thousand ways. the models are great, but in game they suck....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of bursted my bubble :( but then again. that might be a good thing. If its really that unrealiable i dont think i should consider this kind of list. However, i do want a low model count 40K army. Any suggestions on how/what to play?

Also, im wondering why they are so unreliable?

I get that AV12 isnt the best
but at 4HP
it shall not die
and deamonic

thats got to count for something! or am i missing something here??

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are going to use defilers (I do, more for fun than competitive) get a warpsmith. He will help repair. I enjoy the defiler, I run mine with autocannons and heavy flamer. Firing the battlecannon then snap shooting the cannons for long range fire.

Some people don't like it and think it is a waste of points, but do what you like. Try it out before you let other people tell you what to do. It depends on your style of play. There isn't a right answer, just some that work better for the majority of people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any ideas on how to run a warpsmith? and with what kind of retinue?
what kind of role should i give him? only walker suport?
dont have my book at work, but im intrigued by the idea. sounds cool

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
of course I've never wanted to tell you what to do. I was just sharing my opinion for semi-competitive play. The model is great and it WILL be fun and unpredictable, BUT if you have some budget limit (as I do) you'll want to think twice befor buying two of those thing. if you can afford them, well, they can be the centrepieces for an awesome looking dark mechanicus army. just don't expect them to win you the game.
About the Smith: a sneaky Hq, this one. really underrated IMO.
Take him naked (he comes with a meltagun,a flamer, a power axe and 2+ armour, just from stock!) and hid this scoundrel behind your big metal monsters. if you feel he's too alone, just buy him 10 cultists to sit around AND adding a cheap scoring unit!
It should be noted the smith is almost useless without at least 2 vehicles he can nurse.

About the low body count army: Abaddon makes for a really funny Chosen list. There should be a list somewhere here on the board...
Something like:

Abaddon 265
3 terminators w/ 2 combiplasma, lightning claw 108
6 chosen with 4 plasmaguns + rhino w/havoc launcher 216
6 chosen with 4 meltaguns + rhino w/havoc launcher 196
6 chosen with 4 Plasmaguns + rhino w/havoc launcher 216
1001 pts
If you are a good modelist you can have a good Abadd model converting a terminator with some spare pieces you might have.

So 1 box of terminators
2 box of marines (with some kitbashing for the plasma guns)
3 rhinos
Almost cheap elite army. Not competitive. At all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like using my defiler but they work better if you stay at long range rather than trying to get close with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts