Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hokay, assuming that I'm rolling both HQ's, This is what I've got.

HQ
-Termie Chappy
-Assault Chappy

Troops
- 3 five-man vanilla squads, Sarges all have plasma pistol and chainsword

Elites
- 10 Terminators, AoBR actually. Two different squads.

Heavy Support
- Devastator Squad: Plasma and meltaguns only; Sarge has fist and plasmsa pistol

- Another Devastator Squad: 3 Rockets and a heavy bolter; Same as above for the Sarge.

That's pretty much it. :3

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think the Chaplins are a wash in this list. I would go with a Lib and or a MotF

I would use the Lib with gate to allow you some mobility.

Your Tas squds are going to get killed and do not have very much in the way of any function. I would either drop 5 termies and plus up your squads to full 10 mans or reduce from 3 squads to 2 and plus up those remaining squads.

Run your termies in 5 man squads with Cyclones for range and punch.

With your Dev squads I feel the Plasma pistol is a waste of range. Do you mean MM or MG? I think two plasma cannons, with the MotF, and extra marines for GP, drop the fist you have the MotF.

With the 2nd squad go 4 ML. They will work for both horde and MEQ/vehicles.

The option is there and it could work. You are going to be pressed in an obj based game.

·
Registered
297 Posts
As a casual list I would count the Terminator Chaplain as a Captain in terminator armour with his crozius counting as a power weapon. He will deploy with the termies. @140? (or is it 130?)

Take the terminators as a single 10-man squad. Do any of them have heavy weapons? If so you want the assault cannon or the cyclone launcher, not the flamer. This will give you nice options on deployment (combat squads). @460?

You have (I think, in some places your descriptions are vague)

14xmarines w. bolter (assuming you had only 1 plasmagun and 1 meltagun in that devastator squad)
1xplasmagun
1xmeltagun
3xmarines w. chainswords
2xmarines w. powerfists
3xml
1xhb
1xJump chaplain

This is useful. Staying within your INFANTRY theme you could field these as

5xVeterans (command squad), plasmagun, meltagun (and ofc the 3xchainswords) @140?
5xSternguard, 2-4xcombi-meltagun (just count their bolters as combi-melta) @145?
5xTactical, powerfist, teleport homer @130
5cTactical, powerfist @115
5xDevastator, mlx3, hbx1 @150?
=around 1300pts (counting captain and termies)

The lack of armour will hurt you, but with two 5-man terminator squads on the field (combat squadded on deployment) you should still feel quite capable; they can deal with armour and mcs. Your devastators are going to form a static firebase. Not an uber one, but still useful. Notice I am ignoring all plasma-pistols. Have all plasma-pistols count as bolt-pistols. You need a way to designate your medic in the command squad. Just mark the base with a pin or something. Jump chappy sits out this fight.

I did the costing from memory BTW. Looks like it should make a decent sized force.

WDYT?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like that, honestly my squads are small for fluff reasons, and I'm getting another ten pretty soon so that'll be another two five-mans. I always run the termies in seperate groups so they don't all get mulched within two turns of deep-striking. I haven't used the jump chappy yet, so I was kind of eager to use him as soon as I could.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like that, honestly my squads are small for fluff reasons, and I'm getting another ten pretty soon so that'll be another two five-mans. I always run the termies in seperate groups so they don't all get mulched within two turns of deep-striking. I haven't used the jump chappy yet, so I was kind of eager to use him as soon as I could.
If you are buying more stuff, I suggest getting mech over more guys. Perhaps the cheapest way to get yourself a whole lot of options is something like this

1xPredator box (from Wayland Games or Total Wargamer)
1xTerminus Ultra upgrade sprue (from GW in their Conversions section)
10x8mmx1mm rare-earth magnets (from ebay)
(As a longer term plan, I suggest you want two more times the above, for a total of three Predator boxes, three upgrades sprues, and 26 magnets. You don't really need more than three Predators, so if you wanted more Rhino/Razorbacks you could go for a couple of Whirlwinds later on. The total Rhino hull tanks you might like to end up with, long-term, is seven. For gods' sake don't buy any actual Rhinos. Always at least get Razorbacks.)

Predators use Rhino hulls, and the Terminus Ultra sprues give you the pieces for a spare set of sponsons and the Razorback conversion. So the complete purchase will let you flexibly field your (Rhino hull) Predator tanks as Preds, or Rhinos, or Razorbacks!

1) Make up the left/right LC sponsons for the Preds. From the Terminus Ultra sprues make up the left/right HB sponsons.

2) Pair the magnets and mark or remember which sides pull together. Glue one of each pair to the middle of the flat back of each sponson, i.e. on the side opposite the weapon. (Incidentally, it is easy to point the weapons the wrong way when they are fitted; make sure the bolter muzzle is on the outside, and for LCs make sure the skull is visible.)

3) Make up just the tank side/tread sections, but don't yet join them with the floor and frame. Rest the sponson in the outer door recess where it will sit, and then with a large dollop of super-glue on the partner magnet let the magnet on the sponson pull it onto the correct spot on the inside of the door.

4) Finish building the Rhino hull, but make sure you don't glue any of the hatch pieces in!

5) Glue together the two serrated pieces from the Terminus Ultra sprues (that will cover the Rhino hatch). That is, don't glue those pieces to the hull, but to each other so that they will make a flat rectangle. With the two halves of the Rhino hatch cover glued together they will rest okay on the hull without gluing.

6) You should also have two of a rectangular piece that rests into that hatch opening, that has a circular whole in it. This is the piece that, rotated various ways, lets you sit Razorback and Predator turrets in it. With the hole back and flipped to the flatter side it seats Razorback turrets. With the hole forward and flipped to the raised side it seats Predator turrets.

7) Make up the Razorback turret (I suggest as TLLC), and the Predator turret (I strongly suggest as AC).

8) Once you undercoat all these pieces you have built (separately of course) you'll probably find that friction alone holds them in place well enough, but since you have two of the pieces in question you could glue the turrets to the flat piece; just don't glue that piece to the Rhino hull!

9) Final note, make sure you don't glue any of the small circular hatch covers in place. From the Predator box you will have enough to cover both hatches. From the Terminus Ultra sprues you can make a pintle mounted storm-bolter, for the Rhino, and if you want an HK missile as another option on the Rhino/Razorback.

Short of buying second-hand on ebay, this is one of the greatest ways to give yourself tanks you can field as Predator, Rhino, or Razorbacks; with the Predators fieldable as AC or AC/LC or AC/HB. Plus, into the bargain, if you do get a Land Raider and put magnets in the hull just like you did with the Rhino hulls, you can field it as a Terminus Ultra raider in Apocalypse battles :)

(Oh yes, those last few magnets? They are for magnetising the flat door pieces that cover the door recesses when sponsons aren't being used, just for the sake of completeness.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts