Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all. I am interested in making a competitive 1250pts, but haven't played WH before, having played Black Templars, Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard (chimelta-less I hasten to add).

Always fancied making Witch Hunters, but never liked the SoB models, so I am converting some necromunda redemptionist and House of Cawdor models. Anyway, here's the list, please be as brutal as you can:

HQ:
Cannoness - 130
Eviserator
Cloak of St Aspira
Mantle of Orphelia
Jump Pack
Book of St Lucius

Inquisitor Lord - 125
Bolter
Psychic Hood
2xVeteran Guardsman
2xMelta Gun
1xFamiliar
1xChirugeon

Troops:
10x Sisters of Battle - 219
Veteran Superior
Combi-Flamer
Book of St Lucius
Melta Gun
Heavy Flamer
Rhino
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher

Veteran Superior
Combi-Flamer
Book of St Lucius
Melta Gun
Heavy Flamer
Rhino
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher

10x Sisters of Battle - 209
Veteran Superior
Book of St Lucius
Melta Gun
Heavy Flamer
Rhino
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher

Heavy Support:
Immolator - 73
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers

Exorcist - 135

Exorcist - 135

GRAND TOTAL: 1250pts
Faith - 5

The Plan:

Cannoness- Hides behind tank and cover so as she cannot be shot, the jumps out and opens a tank can-opener style. Uses spirit of the martyr power (invuln) when LoS is not broken. Once tanks are dead will also use hand of the emperor (+2S) to make her S8 for insta-killing T4 characters.

Inquisitor Lord- Rides around in the Immolator, which will attack entrenched enemies with the inquisitor stopping psychic powers left right and center. Has a couple of melta guns to rid the world of the ever-annoying tanks. Gave familiar & churigen for ablative saves.

Sisters of Battle Squads 1,2&3- Ride around drive-by shooting enemy units and tanks. Once in range of a vulnerable squad, will jump out using rhino as a shield for enemy fire, pop divine guidance and purge the unclean.

Immolator- Houses Inquisitor Lord. 12", pop smoke, 12" burn.

Exorcists- Targets monsterous creatures, enemy transports and enemy heavy infantry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Sisters Rock!

Overall pretty good list, just remember, it's Sister Superior AND 9~19 Sisters.. so the VSS actually takes up a space and that would make 11 models, not 10.. The combi-flamer isn't useful at all, one shot isn't worth paying an extra 10, better off kitting your Inquisitor with Power Armour.

The Inquisitor Lord isn't necessary if you're not going to take full retinue and just keeping him there for the assassin. Naked Inquisitor with Bolter and CCW is fine, Psychic Hood is overkill when an every other unit has the shield of faith. Give him retinue only if you have extra points, and in all honesty, WH Inquisitors fail at CC, Firebase and pretty much everything else..

Personally, I would take Eversor assassins over Callidus ones, simply because Eversor is cheaper, gives a free S5 blast when it dies (which is somewhat necessary), a 12" assault and a potential 9 attacks on the charge.

If the opposition has anti-tank, that Immolator won't make it.. Try to squeeze in an extra Exorcist and hopefully your opposition won't be able to take out your rhinos before they get to rapid fire range. Smoke Launchers shouldn't be on the Exorcist, unless you want it in a situation where the enemy can assault it, extra armour is fine. If you're worried about your tanks being destroyed, add Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolters, gives protection against weapon destroyed results.

Still, your call :biggrin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Overall pretty good list, just remember, it's Sister Superior AND 9~19 Sisters.. so the VSS actually takes up a space and that would make 11 models, not 10..

The Vet superior is an upgrade, so there are still 10 models in the unit, its just how I format my lists :) , sorry for any confusion.

The combi-flamer isn't useful at all, one shot isn't worth paying an extra 10, better off kitting your Inquisitor with Power Armour.

I've always thought that a combi-flamer's 1 use ability when combined with divine guidance is worth the points. You get that on a squad of marines. Even if kill just 1 extra marine that turn it makes its points back

The Inquisitor Lord isn't necessary if you're not going to take full retinue and just keeping him there for the assassin. Naked Inquisitor with Bolter and CCW is fine, Psychic Hood is overkill when an every other unit has the shield of faith. Give him retinue only if you have extra points, and in all honesty, WH Inquisitors fail at CC, Firebase and pretty much everything else..

Psychic hood stops all powers, even beneficial ones. This means that I can stop the psykers using beneficial abilities on their own units such as eldar farseer's guide, fortune etc. This is why I took the Inq Lord as the additional 20 pts is worth the extra wound, attack and 2 Ld.

Personally, I would take Eversor assassins over Callidus ones, simply because Eversor is cheaper, gives a free S5 blast when it dies (which is somewhat necessary), a 12" assault and a potential 9 attacks on the charge.

I took the Callidus because it's the only one which can deep-strike, and it can even deepstrike perfectly too. However the Eversor is nice as you can get a first-turn charge, though I always thought the Eversor was more for MC killing than troop killing, how does he fair against troops?

If the opposition has anti-tank, that Immolator won't make it.. Try to squeeze in an extra Exorcist and hopefully your opposition won't be able to take out your rhinos before they get to rapid fire range. Smoke Launchers shouldn't be on the Exorcist, unless you want it in a situation where the enemy can assault it, extra armour is fine. If you're worried about your tanks being destroyed, add Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolters, gives protection against weapon destroyed results.

Surely having an additional immolator will ease the strain on the rhinos. The opponent either shoots the immolator and allows the sisters to get into rapid-fire range, or stops the sisters getting closer and gets bbq-ed by the immolator. I do agree that fitting in a second Exorcist would be a very good addition though for additional long range anti-tank. Would it not be good to take out the Callidus and take an Exo instead?

Thanks for your help, reply in quote

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've always thought that a combi-flamer's 1 use ability when combined with divine guidance is worth the points. You get that on a squad of marines. Even if kill just 1 extra marine that turn it makes its points back

In a 1250pt army the extra flamer just might be useful, in higher pt armies it won't make much difference. The thing is, in general, the VSS is probably going to get kenny'd since its pretty much the only way to generate extra faith (this is pretty much why 5e with the kill point rule hates sisters).. I would suggest taking off the combi to upgrade your Inquisitor to Inquisitor Lord.

Psychic hood stops all powers, even beneficial ones. This means that I can stop the psykers using beneficial abilities on their own units such as eldar farseer's guide, fortune etc. This is why I took the Inq Lord as the additional 20 pts is worth the extra wound, attack and 2 Ld.

Assuming I play eldar and finds the psychic hood on your list, i'll probably kill the Inq Lord before he even gets a chance with using the hood.. With Inq Lord, you'll have to field retinue, meaning you would have to squander points better off being used elsewhere.. In addition, being T3, he would have to take up another transport which would put the total cost to nearly 200 points for a psychic hood and an assassin.. Not really worth it from my point of view.

I took the Callidus because it's the only one which can deep-strike, and it can even deepstrike perfectly too. However the Eversor is nice as you can get a first-turn charge, though I always thought the Eversor was more for MC killing than troop killing, how does he fair against troops?

Assuming your oppositions' troops don't have invulnerable saves, it's a potential 9 attacks on the charge which hits on 3+ and wounds on 4+ with no armour saves allowed, so about 3 kills against a squad of tactical marines.. Assuming the Eversor makes it into the opponents' assault phase (which it probably will in a 1250pt battle), it gets to blow up, killing at least another marine.. With luck, that's about one squad in a round (Although generally it will be about 6 attacks, so 3~4 kills), which is 90pts naked. The thing with Callidus is that the S4 isn't enough to cause actual damage to IC's, even if the Phase Sword ignores invul saves.. Against Termies she might be able to kill a few, but for 120pts it's still a bit risky, considering her T4.

Surely having an additional immolator will ease the strain on the rhinos. The opponent either shoots the immolator and allows the sisters to get into rapid-fire range, or stops the sisters getting closer and gets bbq-ed by the immolator. I do agree that fitting in a second Exorcist would be a very good addition though for additional long range anti-tank. Would it not be good to take out the Callidus and take an Exo instead?

General rule of thumb is at least 2 Exos for games 500~2000, so i'd say the Exo is worth it. The tactic you have above is really what the assassin should be preventing: tearing through heavy weapon squads so the enemy would have to divert manpower and lose firepower in the process.. It really depends on your style of play. In all honesty, you could try squeezing an extra squad of sisters in there, since it usually takes about 2 launchers per turn over two turns to get into rapid fire range (unless the gaming table is small) and at times 3 (Gun line IG, for instance).
I had a similar idea to your list last night, it's ::Here:: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Your Inquisitor is geared for short range shooting, something which will get him killed really fast and give your opponent easy kill points. I agree with Ekho about how to use one, except that I think the Psychic Hood is worthwhile. Take a look though at DH Inquisitors instead as an ally. They are far superior to WH.

I wouldn't mix weapons in your squads. The way WH work is by lumping down templates and using faith to make them AP1, thus denying your enemy ANY save. When you start killing things and they just die, you will feel an overwhelming urge to smile.

Designate your squads for certain tasks, a unit with meltas for tanks and a unit with flamers or troops. When you set up your models on the table, you will be able to figure out where they need to go based on your opponents layout and they will be more effective, rather than kinda effective at several things.

Remember, don't get into CC. You will die.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your Inquisitor is geared for short range shooting, something which will get him killed really fast and give your opponent easy kill points. I agree with Ekho about how to use one, except that I think the Psychic Hood is worthwhile. Take a look though at DH Inquisitors instead as an ally. They are far superior to WH.
Whilst I agree with you that an Inquisitor isn't brilliant at close-range shooting, they're worse at long range and combat. It's not possible to take a DH inqusitor with the new army list rules.

I wouldn't mix weapons in your squads.
I'm sorry but I disagree here. The benefits of having the combination squads are:
1) You get more Heavy flamers in your army as opposed to regular flamers
2) You can only shoot one weapon from a rhino, so you'd only be able to use the one flamer whilst utilising the cover of the rhino. Having the choice between using a melta or a heavy flamer allows you to prioritise
3) Your units are more diverse, allowing for a decent spread of fire-power across your units
4) In transport wars (which are now unfortunately common place) all of your transports are able to combat enemy transports, thus giving them defences.
5) I've got Combi-flamers in each squad, which allows for "Woah! That's a big squad: kill it, kill it now" moments in games. I do not think that 3 flamers would be of any use to me.
6) Assuming this is MEQ: 8 Rapidfiring units = 16 shots = 10.33 hit = 5.16 wound = about 2 space marines dead = about 1/3 of the average squad. The melta is going to claim one, and the flamer will kill about another 1 or 2. That's normally an entire squad, and when it's not, that's where you bring another squad out.

Designate your squads for certain tasks, a unit with meltas for tanks and a unit with flamers or troops. When you set up your models on the table, you will be able to figure out where they need to go based on your opponents layout and they will be more effective, rather than kinda effective at several things.

Remember, don't get into CC. You will die.[/quote]

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Some comments

Just be careful with your Cannoness. Remember killing a vehicle means you are stuck out in the open for a whole turn. Plus if its a transport you are now in charge and shooting range of the contents. Your faith points are going to burn through real quick this way.

Inquisitor Lord retinue is too expensive and trying to do too much. If you want him with a psychic hood he needs to be protected and not running up with short range weapons. Get him and three heavy bolters, put them in cover and leave them there.
Cheaper, safer and more likely to cause damage without dying. Or if you really want points for the exorcist an Inquisitor Lord and three acolytes with bolters. Pretty much gives your Inquisitor a few extra wounds.

Squads look fine. I agree about keeping the heavy flamer and melta. Keeping them versatile is the way to go. Having a melta gun in range no matter where your opponent goes makes them think twice about running up into your lines with a vehicle. Might want to consider meltabombs just in case your units get stuck in combat with a dread. Not really necessary, but if you can find the points, consider it.

I would consider dropping the callidus for an eversor or drop it all together. The thing with the callidus is it doesn't do as much damage as people think. It might kill one or two guys or maybe take off a wound of a character but it will die unless you are lucky. Also since it has no grenades, taking out devastator squads is not going to happen. I think if you swap it for the eversor, drop a lot of points from your Inquisitor retinue and drop the immolator you might be able to fit in another exorcist.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Dear all. I am interested in making a competitive 1250pts, but haven't played WH before, having played Black Templars, Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard (chimelta-less I hasten to add).

Always fancied making Witch Hunters, but never liked the SoB models, so I am converting some necromunda redemptionist and House of Cawdor models. Anyway, here's the list, please be as brutal as you can:

HQ:
Cannoness - 115
Eviserator
Cloak of St Aspira
Jump Pack
Book of St Lucius
I don't like the strike last here. I don't see her living to strike in most cases. Power weapon is a better choice.
Inquisitor Lord - 139
Combi-Flamer
Psychic Hood
2xVeteran Guardsman
2xMelta Gun
2xFamiliar
Chirugeon
Invest in a Chimera.
Elites:
Callidus Assassin - 120
All right, kinda out of bounds here. I think you might need repentia here for your HTH Anti-tank. They are going to get shot up badly, but that absorbs shooting from your other units.
Troops:
10x Sisters of Battle - 220
Veteran Superior
Combi-Flamer
Book of St Lucius
Melta Gun
Heavy Flamer
Rhino
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher
Search Light
Nothing wrong here. Might want to consider dropping the Heavy Flamer, as it requires disembarking to use.
10x Sisters of Battle - 220
Veteran Superior
Combi-Flamer
Book of St Lucius
Melta Gun
Heavy Flamer
Rhino
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher
Search Light

Veteran Superior
Combi-Flamer
Book of St Lucius
Melta Gun
Heavy Flamer
Rhino
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher

Heavy Support:
Immolator - 74
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers
Search Light

Exorcist - 138
Smoke Launchers
Two Exorcists are better. Even more superior is giving the Inquisitor a Land Raider. But that puts you at 1500.
GRAND TOTAL: 1250pts
Faith - 5

The Plan:

Cannoness- Hides behind tank and cover so as she cannot be shot, the jumps out and opens a tank can-opener style. Uses spirit of the martyr power (invuln) when LoS is not broken. Once tanks are dead will also use hand of the emperor (+2S) to make her S8 for insta-killing T4 characters.
Too easy to kill her in this formation.
Inquisitor Lord- Rides around in the Immolator, which will attack entrenched enemies with the inquisitor stopping psychic powers left right and center. Has a couple of melta guns to rid the world of the ever-annoying tanks. Gave
That immolator will die quick. Chimera is a better choice, with a Heavy Flamer.
Callidus Assassin- Took her as part of an experiment. Her job is to take out small, highly effective enemy squads which would otherwise be a massive bitch to reach. Butching space marine devistators for example would be an excellent use during which she will not only stop a turn of shooting but hopefully be able to take out the squad. After this, she will draw a lot of fire, making her death worth it. I must admit, this experiment is largely to see whether I can skimp on having to buy and additional £35 immolator or £27 whirlwind (I already have a callidus model)

Sisters of Battle Squads 1,2&3- Ride around drive-by shooting enemy units and tanks. Once in range of a vulnerable squad, will jump out using rhino as a shield for enemy fire, pop divine guidance and purge the unclean.

Immolator- (see Inquisitor Lord)

Exorcist- Targets monsterous creatures, enemy transports and enemy heavy infantry.
rhinos aren't reliable in getting meltas close enough to use as your primary Anti Tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well after some 4 battles and a 3 wins 1 draw record, I'm making changes, but will reply to your criticisms and see where we concur :) I'd like to thank you all once again for taking the time to read the list and comment on it.

I don't like the strike last here. I don't see her living to strike in most cases. Power weapon is a better choice ... Too easy to kill her in this formation.
With her priority being hand to hand tank-hunting, she doesn't strike last. Giving her a power weapons wouldn't in my opinion be the best idea, I would give her a blessed weapon if I wanted her to hunt troops. As a tank hunter she has performed brilliantly, and dies infrequently due to my denying my opponent line of sight to her. I will however take a Mantle of Orphelia (immune to instant death) as I found her ineffective at dealing with Monsterous creatures.

All right, kinda out of bounds here. I think you might need repentia here for your HTH Anti-tank. They are going to get shot up badly, but that absorbs shooting from your other units.
You're advising a meatshield of units with a poor save and costing 20pts each? I'm sorry, but repentia are terrible at everything, even a moron will look at the chainsaws on them and think "combat squad, shoot it before it reaches me". I'd be better taking a unit of SoB in a rhino with 2x meltas and it would work out cheaper than an effective unit of repentia

Might want to consider dropping the Heavy Flamer, as it requires disembarking to use.
Do you, I didn't know this? Why is that? Just incase you were unaware, "Heavy Flamers" are actually assault weapons.

Two Exorcists are better.
I agree, have changed the list accordingly.

That immolator will die quick. Chimera is a better choice, with a Heavy Flamer.
Chimera has +1 front armour whereas immolators are 5 pts cheaper, can move 12" and fire it's flamer and are twin-linked. In this respect I find immolators more effective at their job.

rhinos aren't reliable in getting meltas close enough to use as your primary Anti Tank.
I agree, in my new list, the Exorcists are used for opening up transports, however with 4 tanks each moving 12", popping smoke, then moving another 12" + 2" bail out + 6" move by turn 2 I have an effective melta range of 38" or a normal shot at 44". Considering this is only 1250pts, I think this will be far enough and remember that only 1 transport has to get through, meaning the enemy would need an average of 9.33 glancing/penetrating shots before being able stop all of my vehicles which translates to around 22 space marines with Lascannons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to double post but I've made the following Changes:

1) Dropped Callidus
2) Dropped some Combi weapons

3) Added Mantle of Orphelia
4) Added 2nd Exorcist.

Also in response to asian avatar, I agree with all your points, however:

1) I will not use the cannoness to take out transports, she will be used for heavy tanks only (eg Leman Russ).
2) I want an inquisitor and want an immolator in the army. Taking an empty immolator was pointless, so bunged him inside to save points. My hope is to sort of shield the immolator from fire, perhaps putting it behind the 3 rhinos to begin with or putting it on a far flank so it can charge down an enemy heavy tank while either drawing fire from my main force or being allowed to roam free.
3) I dropped the Callidus all together as in play testing I found a second exorcist to be of better use, transport armies trembled, as did MEQ and monsterous creatures :p

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
One extra point, I would try and find points for extra armour or smoke for your exorcists. There will be a point where they will not be able to move or shoot. Being able to pop smoke for cover or being able to move and drive behind cover tends to keep them alive longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts