Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm gonna get me some vindicators, and have great fun painting them without and air brush :threaten:

So I thought of making this list, it runs on the same kinda tactics as space wolves, but instead of having too much arm pit hair, we got vampires!

Reclisiarch- terminator armour, storm bolter
The warlord, termie armour is as much rule of cool as protection, buffs death company to make them hella scary

x2 10man death company squads- x3 power swords, bolters
Bring down what heavy enemies the dreads and vindicators can't with weight of numbers, advance along side the tanks laying down a barrage of fire as well as providing the tanks with cover saves

x2 vindicators- dozer blades
Turn terminators and mega nobs and mega blobs alike to smoking craters, to be moped up by the rest of the army

x2 death company dreads- x2 blood(fists/talons) depending, Heavy flamers, magna grapples
Grapples are for the fire support, they generally make the enemy think twice before coming too close, and smash everything that does

Any good? I wanted to have a list with a sense of how I think space marines fight, minus the assault troops and devastors from points... Advancing towards the enemy pulverising them with superior fire power!

Alternatively to the deathcompany, I could have assault squads... They will let the vindicators advance with the full 12", however they will have less fire power and the dreads will be scrapped too

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a thought, but would it be better to buy the space wolves codex for this?
I don't need fast on the vindicators and counter attack could helpful

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Let me start by saying that Vindicators and Fast are best friends!

The Terminator armour on your Reclusiarch improves his save, but it costs you the ability to Sweeping Advance as well as one attack for your Warlord in combat. Use those points to put Stormbolters on your Vindicators for the purpose of Weapons Destroyed results. I'm not really sold on the Grapples, but since you're going Unbound the more killy the better I guess. If you made the change I suggested with the Terminator armour you could combine it with dropping the Grapples for an extra DC member in each squad.

I really hope that a Death Company army becomes more viable when we get a new Codex.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's bound...
1 HQ, 4 troops, 2 heavy support...

And good point on the termie armour, hadn't thought abiut sweeping advance... Although to be true sweeping advance has only helped once for me, everywhere else ive wiped them out...
And that time 1 priest would have sweeping advanced about 1250pts worth of mega nobs and boyz... (His termie squad was wiped, but killed more of the enemy) but the gretching held... Double 1 :(
But anyway...
Removing the termie armour saves 30pts... Storm bolters on the vindies are 10pts each, that gives me 10pts to play with, dozer blades to seige shields?
Also, I mostly fight melee armies, so there running at my lines so a 12" move and fire is not much more helpful that a 6" move and fire...

Also, I would rather keep my death company to multiples of box sets...
Only because I'll buy 1 tactical box and 2 death company and kit bash them, diversify the kits and what not, rather than making 20 guys out of 4 identical box sets, making them all different

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Unfortunately it isn't Battle Forged, Kiro. Death Company has a 0-1 limit on units, the only two ways you can take multiple units is by playing Astorath with your army or going Unbound. However, since you can take massive squads of DC you could totally do a 20 man blob and play Forged....but it really doesn't matter if you're Forged or Unbound anyway because Death Company can't score. You would lose Objective Secured on your Dreadnoughts (a hilarious oversight that DC dreads can get OS), but that isn't going to make or break this list I don't think.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point my bad :) it would be a good idea to double check such things right :)
I don't play for objectives any way... Everyone where I play believes a swirling melee or fire fight to be much more fun :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Honestly, it doesn't change the list at all. I've heard of some people being real tight-butthole about facing Unbound lists, but if your group gives no fucks then battle on!

On a side note though, I couldn't tell you how many times I have won games through objectives even though I lost the battle in terms of units on the table. Might be worth checking them out some time, they really expand on the game :eek:k:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well as its unbound regardless... Maybe down grade the reclisiarch to a chaplain? That's another what, 25pts to spend?
And it's not like I'm going 10 vindicators unbound or some stupidness like that... It's a small technicality in the codex which I imagine will be removed come our final update... No one else has restrictions now

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I strongly doubt that the 0-1 thing will be removed, I feel like it has been there for a couple editions of the Codex. There's always a way around them a lot of Codices provide FoC manipulation through Unique Characters, ours is by playing Astorath (like how Belial unlocks Deathwing as Troops). Downgrading to a Reclusiarch loses you precious stats, being Ballistic Skill, Wounds, Attacks, and Initiative.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right... But I don't face a lot of 4+ saves, so the maul will be hiding for much of the game...
And tau lost their 1+ on fire warriors, farsight lost his 0-1 on everything but crisis suits rule.
Maybe they'll be elites, a storage makes them troops?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Let me ask you this then, where can 25 points benefit you better than on your Warlord?

As far as the new 'dex goes, I fuckin' want that shit four months ago. I would completely settle on:

1) across the board lower points cost
2) access to Pyromancy
3) Tactical squads getting special/heavy weapons at 5 men strong

...and I'm sure a few other things, but those three things right there would make this space vampire happy. Aside from wishlisting units, psychic powers, chapter relics, and the like I could deal with those very simple tweaks. However, if we're talking wishlisting:

1) Mephy as Lord of War and an overhaul of his rules
2) Tycho gone, replaced with just about anything. Maybe Lemartez is in a Dreadnought now, really: anything.
3) Some points upgrade that makes Razorbacks assault vehicles (hey, I said WISHlisting), or a new vehicle maybe that's open-topped that we can jump out of
4) Access to Pyromancy - both here and before, because look at that table then look at your Libbynaught
5) Some wild new unit of battle brothers that have 'overcome' the Black Rage like Lemartez and now are the 0-1 Elites slot BA Veteran unit
6) Get rid of the 0-1 restriction on DC when you take a Reclusiarch as HQ, not just Astorath (and who the hell is that guy anyway?!)

:laugh: and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I disagree with your point 5, I feel it would destroy what deathcompany is to me...
I would like a different flyer... The storm raven was cool when it was OURS, but now it's just spaces marines, bring in the blood falcon! Or something... Don't care what... Just no a floating box please...
Cheaper jump packs on units like death company and vets... Does doubles the price is NOT worth it
No longer need death company to take the dreads
On the most part however i agree with you...

And maybe I can give the chaplain a power fist? That way he can be AP 2 if needed... And do something?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
A Power Fist for either selection is 15 points, leaving you 10 to throw somewhere. Decent idea for going Unbound. I think I would personally play the list with a Reclusiarch and 20 man DC blob just for jokes, but also because DC without Liturgies of Blood just ain't the same. Plus, Objective Secured amuses me on DC dreads.

As for the ridiculous elite squad, that's more of a shakeup thing in the fluff than anything else. You mean to tell me out of all of the Blood Angels who have succumbed to the Black Rage that Lemartez is the only one that had the personal strength to overcome it? Not to mention Cobulo and his Priests finally coming up with something. I think it would be cool for the same reason why I think Tycho should be dropped from the Codex and put into an Imperial Armour book on Armageddon: it's science fiction. Why shouldn't it get shook up?! :laugh:

I also hope that the Heroic Intervention rule stays the way it is for the Vanguard, though I'm not holding my breath. Maybe just change the name so it doesn't clash with the SM 'dex and leave the fundamental aspect the same.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never said I was a fan of lemartes fluff :)
That's a pretty good idea... 20 man blob it is :D
Is it worth going bolt pistol chain sword? I was going on skirmishing for a while with the bolt guns, and they still get 4 attacks on the charge

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I meant that 'you mean to tell me' in the global sense, not specific to you personally. You personally haven't said anything about Lemartez :wink:

With regards to the BP/CCW or Bolter approach, how do you have them modeled? If I ever go further than a 9x man DC with BP/CCWs I'm going to give them Bolters so that I can mix things up in a DC list, but that depends on the viability of such an action after a new dex hits.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I meant that 'you mean to tell me' in the global sense, not specific to you personally. You personally haven't said anything about Lemartez :wink:

With regards to the BP/CCW or Bolter approach, how do you have them modeled? If I ever go further than a 9x man DC with BP/CCWs I'm going to give them Bolters so that I can mix things up in a DC list, but that depends on the viability of such an action after a new dex hits.
I never thought you meant me specifically, I was merely giving my opinions :)

Amd right now the death company are a future purchase as it were...
I can buy 2 DC+ tactical squad to get 20x bolters...
Or 2 DC + 2 assault marines to get 20x bolt pistol/chain sword

Basically I own nothing of this list thus far...
I own 2 furiosos, but they may just get a all black paint job :)
I think I'll buy 1 at least, or the arms off of bits&kits so I have 2 pairs of whatever load out I want, and maybe 3 dreads for off i want them :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
:laugh: instead of starting a list thread why not start a Death Company tactics thread then?

Popular opinion is that Bolters are better on Death Company, but because I always play them out of either Drop Pods or Land Raider variants I keep them BP/CCW for extra attacks. With Bolters you get more range, to make use of Relentless, and with Rage you still maintain a decent number of attacks on the charge. Financially, Bolters are much less expensive. Two Assault marine boxes is ~$30 more than one Tactical marine box here in Canada.

I magnetized the front plate of my second Furioso, it wouldn't jive with the paint scheme but I could easily paint the DC cover red with a black sarcophagus to run whatever variant I want. Wish I had have had magnets and knowledge when I was putting together the first one, damn it. I have pictures of it in my PLOG, and you can find tutorials online if you can't figure out what I did from the way I have it laid out.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dreads are built and I'm not bothered... Their flesh tearers so they keep being confused with death company any way :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts