Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grand Master
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been very conflicted on this list, and have gone through many configurations, and have come up with this. All opinions are very much appreciated, or alternative suggestions.

UPDATED AS OF 30/05/13

Coteaz - 100

Terminators x5 - 225
- Psycannon
- Halberd x2, sword x2, hammer

Strike Squad x10 - 255
- Psycannon x2
- Psybolts
- Hammer
- Halberd (justicar)

Henchmen 1 - 160
Servitors x3
- Multi-melta x2, Plasma cannon
Acolytes x9
- Plasma gun x3
- Storm bolter x6
- Carapace armor x9

Henchmen 2 - 109
Acolytes x8
- Plasma gun x3
- Storm bolter x5
- Carapace armor x8

Henchmen 3 - 179
Mystic
Acolytes x9
- Melta gun x3
- Storm bolter x5
- Carapace armor x8
- Bolter
Chimera
- Multi-laser, heavy flamer

Henchmen 4 - 85
Acolytes x1
- Bolter
Psyker x8

Henchmen 5 - 12
Acolytes x3

Bastion - 125
- Quad gun

Terminators will usually deepstrike using the melta squad's mystic as homing, allowing them to come in and back them up at 12" range. If not I can take 2 bolter acolytes for meatshields. Plasma/psyker squads sit back and shoot, servitor squad being with Coteaz, who rides the quad gun. Henchmen 5 ride the bastion's heavy bolters. Strike squads can be deployed as the game demands.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Since each Chimera is a Dedicated Transport, I don't believe you can put the Terminators into them. I just woke up and I'm forgetting my rules, but I'm gonna stick with that one. That's why they're 'dedicated' transports.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can't start the terminators inside them, but you can start them next to it, and start the henchmen outside the transports, embark the terminators immediately and move. If you go second, it leaves the terminators vulnerable for a turn I think. Cheap landraider alternative though, enemy cracks the shell, and then get's cracked by the nut.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Awesomus is correct. The only thing that is 'dedicated' about DTs is that only the unit that brought them may start the game in them. After that it's fair game.

As to the actual list, I'd probably drop the servitors; mindlock is far too big a drawback. Vindicare is too expensive, even if you are sticking it on an Icarus.

Also, swap the Icarus for a quad gun. It's strictly inferior in every way, and the amount you gain from upgrading is easily worth the cost. Check this out- http://www.3plusplus.net/2013/05/killing-flyers-in-40k-part-1-quadgun-vs-icarus/

With the points you save grab more troops I guess. I'd probably grab some melta.

·
Grand Master
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know how chimeras work. I have 2 inquisitors, no mindlock on either group of servitors as both are accompanied by inquisitors. The icarus doesnt usually fire, its just there for interceptor/skyfire, or for the vindicare to use to snipe someone to bits. I could lose the vindicare, and I was thinking take a techmarine, improve the bastion to 2+, and rad grenades, field him with the terminators, or another squad if they are deepstriking. Then if there's no vindicare I might as well take the quad gun with the leftover points. Or I could take a small squad of henchmen with melta instead of the techmarine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I know how chimeras work. I have 2 inquisitors, no mindlock on either group of servitors as both are accompanied by inquisitors.
I know you know how chimeras work, I was replying to the other guy who was speaking to the contrary.

A unit that requires babysitting from an appreciably expensive character in order to function more than 50% of the time is terrible. You're overspending on a medicore unit in a small sized game; your list will be improved by dropping the servitors and second inquisitor.

The icarus doesnt usually fire, its just there for interceptor/skyfire, or for the vindicare to use to snipe someone to bits.
If you don't use it, then why take it? It's a waste of points in a game where you don't have points to spare.

I could lose the vindicare, and I was thinking take a techmarine, improve the bastion to 2+, and rad grenades, field him with the terminators, or another squad if they are deepstriking.
Bastions aren't ruins, the techmarine cannot buff it. At any rate, swapping one expensive lone model for another expensive lone model is a bad idea. You're playing GK in a small sized game- this means that your first priority is to get boots on the ground (preferably scoring boots).

Then if there's no vindicare I might as well take the quad gun with the leftover points. Or I could take a small squad of henchmen with melta. Thoughts?
This seems like a good option. Quad gun is good but optional, and is actually fairly reasonable AA. If you go the melta route, take something like 3-5 henchmen with 3 melta in a razorback.

·
Grand Master
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was replying to the other guy as well, don't worry coke. I like chimeras more than razorbacks, so I will consider taking another metlta squad with them, but I really like the 2nd inquisitor unit, it's very shooty, though it pretty much needs cover to survive which is a shame. I know the best strategy is just strike squads, but I like flavor in the list. I try to focus on fielding henchmen/terminators over strike squads. As far as the techmarine goes, it could buff the ruin the inquisitor unit hides in to 3+, and if I get lucky enough to roll 1 on strategic warlord traits, they turn that into a 2+. But what would you recommend in place of the vindicare/inquisitor 2 unit? I could take a stormraven, melta squad in a chimera? Though I suppose another strike squad is better than a raven here.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Oh, henchmen lists are perfectly viable, and in smaller games I'd probably be more inclined towards a 50/50 split between GKSS and henchmen, which is roughly what you have here. I just think you've set up the Henchmen inefficiently.

Here's a thought- instead of Servitors, would you consider psykers? The psychic test required makes them a little unreliable, but they're still better than servitors for strong blasts, and don't require babysitting.

I think you would want to drop

Vindicare
second inquisitor
all servitors (although keep the rest of each unit)

with the points you save, you can get

Upgrade Icarus to Quad Gun
Beef up 3 man acolyte squad to, say, 7 strong, give it 3 meltaguns, 5 Stormbolters, chimera
add 3 more stormbolters guys to your existing henchmen squads
add two squads of 8 psykers+1 henchman (this gives you 2 36" S10 AP1 assault 1 large blasts! and a chump who can hide if they perils)

Now you have way, way more bodies around to score, and they're way more mobile. To make it better, I would probably drop the bastion for an aegis and get more guys, but I don't want to mess with your theme too much, and it is pretty nice to have a massive LoS blocking terrain piece for the psykers to hide behind.

EDIT: I don't know that a Stormraven is a decent investment at this level, especially if there are Tau in your playgroup. It's a massively "all-in" unit that needs saturation (I personally bring a Vendetta in order to achieve this).

·
Grand Master
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
List has been updated at the top as to what I am currently thinking. Terminators will usually deepstrike using the melta squad's mystic as homing, allowing them to come in and back them up at 12" range. If not I can take 2 bolter acolytes for meatshields. Plasma/psyker squads sit back and shoot, servitor squad being with Coteaz, who rides the quad gun. Henchmen 5 ride the bastion's heavy bolters. Strike squads can be deployed as the game demands.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
List looks pretty decent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts