Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making this army for a tournament and I don't know if it will work or not. I've nearly maxed out my the warrior usage ( I have like thirty-five of them) and i not sure whether my skyboard guys are going to suck or not . Does anybody have any ideas about what I should change or add in?

Dracon on skyboard
hellmask 80 pt.
punisher & Helm

Haemonculus on skyboard 60pt.
destructor & scissorhands

2 sniper squads ( 2 D lances each) 200 pt.

2 Talos 200 pt.

Ravanger , 3 disintergrators 115 pt.

Haemonculus punisher helm and shield
5 grotesques 200 pt.
raider

10 wyches & sybarite
agonizer 223 pt.
2 blasters
raider

16 warriors
2 splinter cannons 172
2 blasters
sybarite with poison blades/pistol

·
Banned
91 Posts
I'm making this army for a tournament and I don't know if it will work or not. I've nearly maxed out my the warrior usage ( I have like thirty-five of them) and i not sure whether my skyboard guys are going to suck or not . Does anybody have any ideas about what I should change or add in?

Dracon on skyboard
hellmask 80 pt.
punisher & Helm

Very Weak Lord. A Str 4 Power Weapon and 4+ save on a Lord? I would just give an Agonsier to all your Sybarites/Succubi and save on points for its worth. If you want to keep him then add Drugs and Shadow Field. Then you have options like re-roll misses, +1 str, assualt 12 inches and who doesn't want a 2+ invulnerable save

Haemonculus on skyboard 60pt.
destructor & scissorhands

Great unit :)

2 sniper squads ( 2 D lances each) 200 pt.

Add a Sybarite with a Nightmare Doll. I million people will go oh no what a noob he took a Nightmare Doll hahaha. If you play Dark Eldar then you know being denied terrain equalls good game for your opponent. Take it and increase your chances of winning.

2 Talos 200 pt.

1 Talos is Tolerable but I would say take another Ravager over 2 Talos

Ravanger , 3 disintergrators 115 pt.

Haemonculus punisher helm and shield
5 grotesques 200 pt.
raider

You cannot take non Haemonculi weapons on Haemonculi. Grots suck ass in 4th Ed. If you field Grots they need Urien. No questions about it. I would definately take like 8 Mandrakes instead. Use the extra points to make all the other changes/upgrades.

10 wyches & sybarite
agonizer 223 pt.
2 blasters
raider

Lose the blasters, its so unlikely that you would ever not take advantage of fleet with these girls.

16 warriors
2 splinter cannons 172
2 blasters
sybarite with poison blades/pistol
Dont be cheap, take an Agoniser instead of Poison Blades.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, this is enlightening. I'm a so-so player but I thought mandrakes sucked balls in like every occassion. (can you handle my 16 strength 3 attacks) I can't see 8 mandrakes taking out even 5 guys in a tactical squad in the best conditions. But none the less no grotesques, got it.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Wow, this is enlightening. I'm a so-so player but I thought mandrakes sucked balls in like every occassion. (can you handle my 16 strength 3 attacks) I can't see 8 mandrakes taking out even 5 guys in a tactical squad in the best conditions. But none the less no grotesques, got it.

I usually take 8 - 10 Mandrakes. The Dark Eldar are fragile, and Mandrakes allow you to posture without any fear of losing models fire power.

The Secret Deployment allows you to advance 3 Mandrakes to crucial holding areas (especially opponents in cover) and then when you decide to reveal them you can place the squad 4 inches forward, fleet, and then assualt for 24 attacks (close combat weapon and charge). They always strike first unless your opponent has frags and in forests they have a 3+ cover save, even in assault.

Now against a 10 man Tactical you would obviously soften the squad with Disintegrators and then assualt and probably win combat if you fight in cover.

Against Tau, Gaurd, Necrons, and Eldar you have very high chances to win combat.

Against Marines and Chaos they arent quite as awesome which is why the are underated. You can still harass and hold for your units with Agonisers who are much more fragile running into close combat.

As for the Grots, they need Uriel because they need to win close combat to be worth a stink. I usually try to advance so that only Uriel and a Grot or 2 make it into base with a model or 2. As long as you can win close combat you can force a fall back and u need that I4 to hold a chance in most cases to win and massacre.. Unfortunately Uriel and Retinue are to expansive to bring in less then 2,000.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Then you my friend don't know how to use mandrakes. And Mandrakes have taken out marines before, i can testify to that.

I love mandrakes, and you need to know how to use them to make them effective. Right now you're thinking like "what can i earn back with them?!" how about The game?

If used correctly mandrakes can be one of your most important units.

Talos Suck imo, too unreliable unless you have a webway portal, even then, it's just too slow. They will probably get left behind as the DE are a very fast army. You're much better off taking 3 ravagers with 3 disintegrators each.

Personally, i like specializing the units in my army, so my warriors will do the shooting, my wychs and archon will be the combat monsters. So my suggestion would be to remove the sybarite. Split the squad into smaller 5 man raider squads. Give each a splinter cannon and blaster, put them on a raider. This only costs 115. Expendable unit thats fast, can still do some damage and in numbers is tough.

I agree that you should remove the blasters from your wychs.

Sniper squads, while some people like them, i say Meh, it's not the DE way. We're about speed and devasting first strikes. The sniper squad is the direct opposite of that.

Your dracon could really use an upgrade. You're going to a tourney, just pull out the big guns. Upgrade to Archon, give him combat drugs and shadowfield. If you make some space for him on the wych raider you can take him off the board, give him an Animus Vitae and potentially get him to S6(i've done it quite often). 5 S6 attacks on the charge. You'll kick so much ass.

One reason why i say take that archon of the skyboard is because then you'll be able to take advantage of 12" charge. This is how you can get him a first turn charge. Raider moves 12", he disembarks 2", Fleets 1-6", Charges 12" = 27"-32" charge in ONE turn. This is why DE are the fastest army in the game.

Imo, Grotesques suck. You're far better off turning the whole thing in for 2 gunboat unit(5 warriors with splinter cannon and blaster on a Raider) or One more wych squad.(8 man wych squad is enough).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See but what does " deploy them separately in any place allowed by deployment rules" mean? (in codex) That seems like you deploy in your own area but in three different spots instead of just where the squad is, which doesn't give you any extra time. That 3+ cover thing is awesome though, I didn't really realize that.

·
Banned
91 Posts
See but what does " deploy them separately in any place allowed by deployment rules" mean? (in codex) That seems like you deploy in your own area but in three different spots instead of just where the squad is, which doesn't give you any extra time. That 3+ cover thing is awesome though, I didn't really realize that.

It doesn't give you extra time, it allows you to move them to different locations and then decide where you need them most. If you look at your current list its nothing but T3 and 5+ saves. That means you need to be very tactical about when you expose yourself. While those 3 models are gaining position they cannot be shot at, assualted, etc.

When I play Dark Eldar I usually spend 2 or 3 turns moving into postion looking for ****** in my opponents lines. When I chose to strike I hit hard and make sure every shot fired, and every assault counts.

The Mandrakes simply give me one less unit to worry about hiding and or dodging bullets. When you elect to make them appear you can place the Mandrakes within 4 inches of 1 of the 3 models and then fleet.

So if you spend 2 turns moving them you can 4 inches for the revealing 12 inches of total movement between 2 phases, a d6 fleet roll and then an assualt of 6 inches. So they are definately fast and worthy of 2nd turn assualt.

Now in a 1,250 point game you're looking at like 4 pieces of terrain, probably 2 in your deployment. How many Raiders/Ravagers do you think you're going to be able to hide? Now I play with 3 Raiders and 2 Ravagers in 1,500 so I tend to not want to pay for a 4th Raider that I may not have room to hide so the Mandrakes work well for me.

Dont knock them, dont buy them, maybe dont try them in the current tournament. Proxy up a squad and try them against a broad range of opponents and see if you can make them work, but dont disregard them as being useless.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As pointed out by Horridman, they aren't there to give you extra time. Think of them more as a grenade when you're charging a trench. They can't be stopped, they are scary because they confuse the opponent, they tie up the enemy so that they have less guns on your other units. In case i was not making myself clear, their true value is not so much their killing power but tactical value.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Despite the recommendations from the other members, I would actually say keep the grots. Use them in a combined assault with either the dracon or the wyches (or both) so that you win combat. auto-fallback + I6 = win (unless you need to stay in combat to avoid getting shot, then it is not so good). Also, I would say trim down your wych squad to 6-9 members. I find that pretty much any number between 6-9 works optimally (and also, I noticed when taking 10, things start to get crammed when I do combined assaults).

As for the dracon, I would say switch to a wych dracite and drop the hell mask. Unless the character is modeled that way (coven-themed perhaps?), then there is no reason not to (wych weapons, I7, 4+I in combat = :) :) :) )

I do think that you should put your last warrior squad in a raider just to up your mobility, though. Having mobility really opens up the door for more tactical options.

Some of the other stuff I might advise changing, but not if you are seriously going for a coven theme. Honestly, theme is the most important thing in list design IMO. Theoryhammer gets you only so far; tactics on the table are what win the game. I'm not a big fan of the Talos, but it's necessary for a coven theme, and really is not all that bad for defending your sniper squads from assaulters.

·
Banned
67 Posts
oh man, .... negative reputation, i was only at 1 to begin with, i should at least get to see what i posted, i dont even know what it was.:no:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man this must of been a long time ago.

Freaking Hilarious.

I know retardonice. The impure has been cleansed. Lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts