Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently getting a story together, some background fluff, of why my IG company went rogue. I know i want my Lord Commissar to lead it but i cant figure out what would push a commissar and company to tell the imperium to go F* themselves. I dont want to do anything so lame as their homeworld gets destroyed planed to have the planet exturminatus as a result of the betrayal.

Any ideas that dont hit the cliché mark to badly?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is actually quite easy to explain why a regiment/company of the Imperial Guard would go renegade, and even a Commissar.

They could have become mixed up in the notorious politics the Guard is known for. Perhaps they were sent to campaign as apart of a Crusade. Their regimental colonel could have gotten mixed up in some dirty politics that left them without necessary support. The enemy could have surrounded them and they watched as the rest of the Guard simply fell back or made no effort to relieve them.

If they're going Chaos, then they simply join the enemy surrounding them. Their colonel could be some peacock who wants to stay loyal but the Lord Commissar says fuck that after being trapped for months and kills him. Or maybe make it even more twisted by having the Colonel be killed for failure of some kind by the Commissar, who takes over and then eventually losing his own morale and submits.

If they're not going Chaos. Then they eventually do break out, at a heavy cost, and after the campaign on the world are extremely bitter at both their Colonel (for getting them into this mess) and at the Imperium who they feel has now turned their back on them. They stage a mutiny on board the ship transporting them (sparked and led by their Lord Commissar who is also disillusioned). They take the ship and skip town.

Now a single regiment/company would probably only be able to take over some troop transport vessel -- but you could fluff it a bit and say they had to take a ride on maybe a frigate or something due to losses amongst the troop transports. This would leave them getting the shittiest spaces for comfort, cramped down in the parts of the frigate (or suitably sized vessel) that nobody frequents. This could push them over the edge to rebel, impress the surviving Naval personnel into service and then run.

Could be an entertaining story.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do you want them to be Chaos or just anti-Imperial? I ask as at least a Chaos force has alternate resources being provided by their sponsoring controller, whereas a renegade IG Regiment has the issue of finding both transport and supplies.

An alternative might be an IG Regiment that was brought under the control of a Radical Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus. This could make them 'renegades' relative to the IG, but still have access to the resources of the Imperium on the QT. This would allow you to play against other IG Regiments who are officially OK, but really part of a sub-sector plot to undermine the Imperium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts