Scout Bike squad
>Cluster mines

Scout Bike squad
>Cluster mines

Heavy Support

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

Thunderfire Cannon

This list is for a rematch against an ork player i know who went with warboss and big mek with shield, 3 30man squads of boyz, 3 copters and 3 cannons

all nobz had claws

I went with WW to negate the cover save his shield gives his squads thuderfire to break them up a little and marines to protect/ make a firing line with the command squad and bikes to take out his copters and provide fire support

PS fought as necrons first time didn't end well phased out after some brutal 120 attack assaults

any thoughts additions or ideas ?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would change the scout bikers into ls's with typhoon missile launchers, change the captain for a libby with smite and avenger drop the hg for a 3rd typhoon and then you have 20pts to play with. thats what i would field or atleast similar it gives you 8 s4 blasts, 2 s 5 large blasts and 4 blasts with the thunderfire and an hq who is cheaper and has a power with twice the amount of shooting, id say that should work pretty well. if you dont have these models tell us what models you have, so we can build a list out of that

hope this helps
Durian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hadnt considered ls's as to what models i have still a couple of proxies in my army trying to get a good feel of whats worth buying and what isnt though everyone i talk to says that land speeders are the go over bikes so ill give that a try thanks for your advice

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Combi-Flamers might be better options for your Command Squad.

If you drop the Storm Bolters on the Command Squad and go for Sternguard with a few combi weapons, you're looking at a fair bit more damage output - 2+ to wound Bolters, or ignoring cover saves, very tasty either way.

For Scout Bikes - I'm not sure on their usefulness personally. 2D6 S4 AP- won't result in too many deaths - it works out at about 7 hits 4 wounds, and 3 deaths on average from Cluster Mines.

For anti-ork duty, nothing does better than twin vindicators. With a 24" gun, you've got 1 shot each - with good positioning, that's around 20 kills from the guns - far more so than a Whirlwind will get you, even catering for ignoring cover saves.

Personally - my list would look along the lines of -

Librarian (The Avenger, Null Zone) - IIRC, Mek gives Invulnerable save? = 100

Sternguard = 125points
Techmarine, Servo Harness, Combi Flamer = 85pts

Tactical Squad, 10 Men, Heavy Bolter, Flamer = 170pts
Tactical Squad, 10 Men, Heavy Bolter, Flamer = 170pts

2 Vindicators = 250pts
Thunderfire Cannon = 100pts

= 1000pts

The Techmarine is very useful - Two Powerfist attacks, Twin Linked Plasma Pistol, and Flamer. Combine that with his Combi-Flamer, and a squads flamer, if you get the charge, that's one hell of a large amount of damage - 3 Flamer Templates, Two Powerfists, 10 Bolt Pistols, and 23 S4 Attacks. 3 Flamer Templates results in around 15 covered models, and about 7-8 kills, the rest of the shooting adds in another couple, and follow up attacks bring the total to about 15+ Kills - not bad for Marines.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Vaz's list looks pretty good, but i don't understand the HB on the tact squads; not that it's a bad choice but why use it instead of the ML?

i wouldn't use the Thunderfire either, but it could be useful.

the best part of this list is the Techmarine, so i'd certainly coinsider that.

you're lacking any kind of long range anti-tank, and that could be an issue. the other problem you have is that the whole list is slogging it, leaving you much to vulnerable to any kind of pie plate attack and not just from IG (Fire Prisms, anyone?)

good hunting.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
id drop the thunderfire cannon for a dakka pred...cheaper & prolly just as effective

·
Registered
116 Posts
You're fighting horde, so take as many templates and blasts as you can!
Typhoons have weaker blasts than whirlwinds but it's two blasts from every speeder (and two blasts versus 5+ are better than one blast with no save, I'd say) and they can Instant Death your opponent's copters. Plus they have heavy bolters for some extra killiness.
Vindicators would just slaughter orks with bit blast (and may even luckily kill his HQ or nobs) - can't go wrong with them either.
Sternguard vets are still better shooters than SB-carrying honour guard. And still I'd invest these points in Vindies and Typhoons (since your opponent's antitank is low and easily suppressable).
Thunderfire may actually be nice for slowing him down to give you extra time to shoot.
And bikers - they'd be OK for all-fast army (capable of outmaneuvering orks), but with untransported marines that's not your case.
And Captain may be nice with bolter and hellfire rounds (here's the case such loadout may actually be useful).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
HQ

Space Marine Captain
> SB
Ditch the Storm Bolter and get a Combi-Flamer and Hellfire rounds.
Command Squad
> 4 SB
Ditch the Storm bolters and throw in Combi-Flamers or Flamers.

Troops

10 Tactical marines
> ML
10 Tactical marines
> ML
Flamers for these guys. I'm also partial to Heavy Bolter rather than ML, because the players I play against know how to space their models so that the most hits I'm likely to get with a 3" blast is two, if I scatter well. HBs have a better chance to wound, will pop armor, and average more hits. If you do use MLs, direct them at the Deffkoptas, which a missile will one-hit-kill.

Fast Attack

Scout Bike squad
>Cluster mines

Scout Bike squad
>Cluster mines
Don't like your FA choices. the only reason I'd ever take Scout Bikes is to get a Locator Beacon onto the front lines on Turn 1. Drop 'em, and get some HF/HF Land Speeders. Deep Strike in. Drop two flame templates. Drink his delicious tears.

Heavy Support

Whirlwind

Whirlwind
You might consider trading your WWs for dakkapreds. It's all a matter of personal choice. Dakkapreds, if they move, can only shoot one weapon, whereas WWs can shoot their ordinance any turn as long as they move 6" or fewer. WWs are also Ordinance, which means that even without the special rounds, they'll usually be able to circumvent cover saves. However, stationary dakkapreds will probably do more damage per turn.

Thunderfire Cannon
Subterranean rounds will be your friend here. Slow down the advancing hordes and you will have more time to shoot them down.

This list is for a rematch against an ork player i know who went with warboss and big mek with shield, 3 30man squads of boyz, 3 copters and 3 cannons

all nobz had claws

I went with WW to negate the cover save his shield gives his squads thuderfire to break them up a little and marines to protect/ make a firing line with the command squad and bikes to take out his copters and provide fire support

PS fought as necrons first time didn't end well phased out after some brutal 120 attack assaults

any thoughts additions or ideas ?
My suggestions are in green.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of your suggestions

as to vind over ww tha xtra points are a waste there for 2 reasons

nothing in his army is worh that ap

and even if there was his force field negates that anything within 6 is counted as in cover

2 range is an issue i dont want hime to close with me his whole army is about assaulting with superior attacks

as to scout bikes was jjust an idea but as said edarlier stats dont add u.p to being worth it bttr off with another tac squad or some speeders i think

and flamers there is no way i wan to be close enough for those to ever be useeful he plays orks like the horde army they are i want as many shots as possible from as far away as possible his even if i get first attacks i cant kill enough of his models to tAke away his fearless and then next turn my squads doomed i do like flamers but against guard or nids not orks

think ill take lib ditch HG and bikes and take an LS or 2 or more marines

thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts