Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I recently bought my friends space marines after he threw in the towel with warhammer. I play Black Templars and never really play above 1500 and so had quite a few models spare. I intend to convert what I have to make Space Marines that have gone renegade and become pirates/guns for hire sorta people. Anyway, here's the list, tell me what you think:

HQ:

Chaos Sorcerer - 160
Mark of Slaanesh
Familiar
Lash of Submission
Gift of Chaos

Troops:

6x Noise Marines - 185
5x Sonic Blasters
Blast Master

6x Noise Marines - 185
5x Sonic Blasters
Blast Master

7x Noise Marines - 250
Champion
Power Weapon
Doom Siren
6x Sonic Blasters
Chaos Rhino

Heavy Support:

Obliterator -75

Obliterator -75

Obliterator -75

GRAND TOTAL: 1000pts

The Plan:

Chaos Sorcerer - Stays in a unit, lashing units backwards so as to prolong their stay in the field of withering fire given out by the noise marines. I took the gift of chaos because when squads hit my lines, it will be good to have a way of cutting out the power weapon-weilding sergeants, devistating characters and the like. With a 33% of taking out an MEQ is great, especially if it's a special character who as far as I can tell aren't immune to this kind of instantaneous death as it's not actually a death, just a transformation

Noise Marines 1&2: These guys are deployed far appart, one on each flank really, then fire 18 shots per turn + blast master at threatening squads. Assuming the enemy are MEQ that's 2 dead from the sonic blasters and lets say (for the sake of argument) around another 2 dead from the blast master. 2 Squads means 8 marines down per turn. Against guard for example this is 8 dead from sonic shots per squad, and against tau, 6 dead from sonic shots per squad

Noise Marines 3: This squad is a combat squad designed to shoot enemies until the time comes, at which point they will mount up in the rhino which I will hide harmlessly away, blasting towards an objective. The death of the rhino is irrelivant as it will get them 12" closer to their target, which is worth the points. The Champ has been given a power weapon to take advantage of his 4 I5 attacks on the charge and all have been given sonic blasters to shoot twice before charging and then for holding objectives (one doesn't have one cause I couldn't afford, naturally, he will die first :p). If fighting over the objective is likely to be heavy, the Sorcerer will attach with this squad on it's expedition

Obliterators: Anti Tank, will work independantly to reduce damage from incoming fire as well as maximising damage. In the event of high levels of heavy tanks (Leman Russes and Land Raiders) with no weaker vehicles, these will deepstrike and use their multi-meltas. Once all tanks are destroyed, will use plasma cannons for anti-infantry

·
Registered
320 Posts
the list looks pretty solid but I am never really a fan of chaos lords with the blissgiver or whatever its called again. if you really want to go all out slaanesh take a lash prince with wings. he is actually a little cheaper than that lord and gives better things. I don't like suggesting that since I'm not usually a fan of lash anything

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
id suggest making the smaller NM squads 5 man & give them rhinos as well...cuz only 1 rhino wont last long at all

either get a Lash prince or drop the melta bombs & give the noise champ a sonic blaster...why waste the extra shot?

id be more inclined to buy 2 vindicators & run those instead of 3 oblits... 2 tanks an APC & a DP usually means that something will live enough to become of use (either he/you are shooting at the DP & let the vindis pie plate you or shoot the vindis & the DP kills you in CC...or lastly the NMs just kill everything thats in 24"

·
Registered
496 Posts
to be honist your lord is going to be mostly useless, since hes either going to have to go MC hunting or Try to ID Char outa squads (it doesnt work very well D:)

i would suggest either getting him a Slaneesh Raptor squad to run around with or dropping him completely for a Sorc/DP (Warptime or lash on the DP or lash on the sorc)

its very cleche but your single lord really isnt going to get alot done otherwise D:

everything else looks fine

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The Lord's vulnerable used on his own, better to stick him in with a squad or replace him with Lucius. Drop the Blastmasters as they're too expensive for what they do and add in doom siren toting champions.

If you can find the points add in a lash sorcerer to for a bit of extra fun.

Here's what I'd run with

Lucius - 160 points.

Lash Sorcerer - 125 points.

7 Noise Marines, 6 Sonic Blasters, Champion with Doom Siren & Powerfist, Rhino with Daemonic Possession - 280 points.

7 Noise Marines, 6 Sonic Blasters, Champion with Doom Siren & Powerfist, Rhino with Daemonic Possession - 280 points.

2 Obliterators - 150 points.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
if you drop one Oblit your other two squads can have rhinos.

you can disassemble your expensive NM squad into a set up similar to your smaller ones and with the points left over and dropping the Chaos Lord you can get two DPs.

if your worried about DPs being exposed since they can't joins squads, i recommend Sorcs.

good hunting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of your comments have been exceptionally helpful and prompt, but I have only quoted those which directly help with the points I am making.

id suggest making the smaller NM squads 5 man & give them rhinos as well...cuz only 1 rhino wont last long at all
The rhino was intended to boost the marines into to the objective towards the end of the game having sat at the back with the NM firing. I will make this clearer in the description

either get a Lash prince or drop the melta bombs & give the noise champ a sonic blaster...why waste the extra shot?

id be more inclined to buy 2 vindicators & run those instead of 3 oblits... 2 tanks an APC & a DP usually means that something will live enough to become of use (either he/you are shooting at the DP & let the vindis pie plate you or shoot the vindis & the DP kills you in CC...or lastly the NMs just kill everything thats in 24"
I've never been a fan of vindicators as they are too much of a points sink into non-troop units to make sure they do something (you need other threatening things). If I were to use a Daemon Prince I would consider it, however read below for more details.

dropping [the chaos lord] completely for a Sorc/DP (Warptime or lash on the DP or lash on the sorc)
I agree. I took the Lord knowing that the Daemon Prince was better, however the Lord fitted with my fluff better and I wanted to do a conversion. I will take a Sorc and change the tactics of the army accordingly.

if you drop one Oblit your other two squads can have rhinos.

you can disassemble your expensive NM squad into a set up similar to your smaller ones and with the points left over and dropping the Chaos Lord you can get two DPs.
The Obliterators I feel are needed for anti-tank in this army, which would be lacking otherwise. The fact that oblits can change their weapon to anti-personel weapons means that taking 3 and being able to get away with 2 is preferable to having 2 and needing 3. Also, I will not be using the rhino soon, and also wish to avoid making my chaos army too like my sisters of battle squad, especially as Noise Marines are better at shooting at 24" than any other army I know.

If your worried about DPs being exposed since they can't joins squads, i recommend Sorcs.
Will do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts