Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autarch, Mandiblasters, Power weapon & Fusion Gun - 100 points.

6 Jetbikes, 2 Shuriken Cannon - 152 points.

6 Jetbikes, 2 Shuriken Cannon - 152 points.

5 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Executioner, War Shout & Acrobatic - 112 points.

5 Fire Dragons, Exarch with Firepike, Crack Shot & Tank Hunters - 120 points.

Falcon with Pulse Laser, Holo-fields & Bright Lance - 180 points.

Falcon with Pulse Laser, Holo-fields & Bright Lance - 180 points.

I've tried to make this reasonably competitive, but I'm a little worried that it's lacking in numbers.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Your bike squads are very fragile so be careful. I would drop the firepike and exarch from your dragons. With your aspect warriors in your falcons you are better off running with EML so you can fire them as strength 4 def weapons. Those are the main points I would change.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
indeed. i normally don't say this, but i would seriously reconsider a complete re-write for this list.

12 scoring Eldar models are extremely fragile, but with the Autarch, i guess you could keep them off the board in order to score objectives.

it's not even that they'll die right off the bat, it's that your opponent can kill enough of them to make you take a morale test and break the units.

other comments i have is consider taking Serpents if you can kit them out cheaper than the Falcons, and drop either the Scorps or Banshees, and use those numbers to bolster the unit you keep.

i'd keep the Banshees and increase their squad size. at 1K they'll be nearly unstoppable.

good hunting.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, good to know the list's weaknesses. I was guessing the Bike squads might be a bad idea, as I've faced them before and know how vulnerable they are.

So based on your comments I've had a quick rethink and here's what I've come up with.

Autarch with Banshee Mask, Power weapon & Fusion Gun - 93 points.

10 Guardians with Bright Lance Platform - 110 points

10 Storm Guardians, 2 Fusion Guns, Wave Serpent with twin-linked Eldar Missile Launchers & Vectored Engines - 232 points.

10 Storm Guardians, 2 Fusion Guns, Wave Serpent with twin-linked Eldar Missile Launchers & Vectored Engines - 232 points.

10 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Executioner, War Shout & Acrobatic, Wave Serpent with twin-linked Eldar Missile Launchers & Vectored Engines - 332 points.

The points might be a little off, because I don't have the codex on me right now, but basically the Autarch rides with the banshees, while the Storm Guardians provide close support, with the Bright Lance squad acting as anti-tank.

I know Guardians aren't great in combat, but Dire Avengers are to inflexible to be used in such a small army, whilst nine bike with three cannons works out at more points than the guardians.

Apart from the obvious question of 'is it any good?', should I swap out the Bright Lance for a Starcannon and would Scorpions be a better choice than Banshees?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think a scatter laser or EML would be better for your guardians. I would drop the Vectered engines and see about upgrading one or two of the wave serpents with TL BR. Your banshees are going to be mean at 1000 points. If you could squeeze in a farseer with doom to run with the banshees.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi!

hmmm, i'm not sure if swapping out the jetbikes for countless guardians is the answer.

Keep the defender guardian squad, you dont need assualt guardians if you have 10 Banshees.

I would encourage you to go back to the jetbikes, then back them up with two vypers, probably with scatter lasers and EMLs for anti troop fire (at the moment you have pretty much none of that other than shurikens). As the other chaps have said, the unit is a bit 'fragile' at the moment but Vypers are an easy way of beefing up jetbike units.

Secondly, Get a Seer Council. An Autarch on his own is not a strong HQ (side note; think about using mandi blaster rather than banshee mask). Keep the seers close to your Guardian squad.

A wave serpant is a good a idea but only if you up your banshee squad to 10 (like you have in your 2nd post)

The falcons... I think you need one falcon. Lose the bright lance. It's too expencive, you already have one in your guardian squad and the falcon already has pulse laser, which is basicaly an uber bright lance. An EML or scatter laser will be far more effective.

Not sure how that leaves you points wise, if you can squeeze in the fire dragons, do it, but i doubt you can. Maybe consider bumping up to 1500? Dire avengers and fire prism would go nicely with this I think!

Also, your last questions, banshees or scorpians. you have enough 'grinding' power here, so I think Banshees would be better as they can pack more of a punch.

Dont Worry about swapping for star cannons. keep a bright lance in the guardian squad to pick out tanks. If you can get EMLs on to the falcon and those vypers i mentioned then perhaps bright lances on the W/serpant would be cool?

What do you think? I hope that all makes sense!

Thanks
Tobes

·
Registered
287 Posts
A better, cheaper buy for your Serpents are Spirit Stones rather than Vectored engines. That way they can always move unless immobilized.

Replace your Autarch's Banshee mask for Mandiblasters. The extra attack comes in handy more than the extra I.

A fortune/Doom Farseer may be a better choice for your Banshee's regardless. If you drop all the Vectored engines for SS, you should have enough points if you drop the Autarch. But really, it is about preference.

@mrtoby: An effective seer council is very tough to do at 1000points. My guess is he is writing a list at this points level for a reason. Even a 5man warlock squad with a Seer (on foot) is close to 1/2 his points.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the help.

Here's the revised list:

Autarch on Jetbike with Mandiblasters, Laser Lance & Fusion Gun – 140 points.

Farseer with Doom, Runes of Warding and Runes of Witnessing – 105 points

10 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Executioner, War Shout & Acrobatic, Wave Serpent with twin-linked Eldar Missile Launchers & Vectored Engines - 332 points.

6 Jetbikes, Warlock with Conceal - 182 points.

2 Vypers with Eldar Missile Launchers – 130 points.

@Mrtoby- The reason I'm only thinking of a 1'000 points at this stage is that you can only play a 1'000 points realistically at my local GW.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Instead of Conceal, give them Embolden to allow re-roll of LD. With their 6" move in Assualt phase regardless, you should almost always be able to throw them behind some form of cover. Embolden is cheaper as well.

And I may think others will support me on this, but Vypers are just a waste of points. For 120pts you can get 2 Warwalkers each with 2 Scatter Lasers. So for 10pts less you can get a squad that has 16 shots at str 6 compared to the Vypers (which, by the way, since is open topped, can be DESTROYED by bolter fire) 2 str 8 shots.

Thats just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Instead of Conceal, give them Embolden to allow re-roll of LD. With their 6" move in Assualt phase regardless, you should almost always be able to throw them behind some form of cover. Embolden is cheaper as well.

And I may think others will support me on this, but Vypers are just a waste of points. For 120pts you can get 2 Warwalkers each with 2 Scatter Lasers. So for 10pts less you can get a squad that has 16 shots at str 6 compared to the Vypers (which, by the way, since is open topped, can be DESTROYED by bolter fire) 2 str 8 shots.

Thats just my thoughts.
I'm planning to run the Autarch with the bikes, so they'll use his leadership, while I've found that weapons with a 'high' AP and low BS don't tend to do much against Space Marines, my most likely opponents. What I might do is replace the Vyper's missile Launchers with Starcannons, but for now I'm going to arrange a proxy game with a mate, pitting my 'Eldar' against his Dark Eldar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey

yea sorry, sometimes i can get a bit point hungry!

that latest list is much much better. poping the autarch on a bike is a good idea too. with him, 6 bikes and two vipers your going to have a real run of the field and losing a few bikes from enemy fire wont seem so bad!

Do you think you have aenough anti-tank in there?

Tobes

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

Autarch set up is excellent, arguably the best available for us.

Would not use RoWitnessing on the Farseer. Consider Stones and Fortune; make those Banshees last as long as possible.

Drop War Shout on the Banshee Exarch.

If you're not using the Warlock for a Singing Spear Embolden and/or Destructor, drop him and add more bikes; that would be more useful than a Warlock that gives you a cover save you don't need (turbo boosting gives you a 3+ cover).

Vypers are OK, but they go with the bike theme and are not too expensive. i'd prefer two War Walkers with SL: ten points cheaper and you get 16 shots with both.

Much better list mate.

good hunting.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll probably end up proxying with both lists, but since your all talking about War Walkers, here's an alternative idea.

Farseer with Doom, Singing Spear and Runes of Warding – 98 points

6 Jetbikes - 132 points.

3 War Walkers with 2 Scatter Lasers each - 180 points.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I like this list the best

10 Guardians with Bright Lance Platform - 110 pointsI think your EML is better here. You can us the blast against hordes and still have a good chance to hit

10 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Executioner, War Shout & Acrobatic, Wave Serpent with twin-linked Eldar Missile Launchers & Vectored Engines - 332 points. I would BL here because it is TL, also spirit stones are better than VE because you always want the Banshees moving.

6 Jetbikes, Warlock with Conceal - 182 points. I think a spear is better and cannons if you can squeeze them in.

2 Vypers with Eldar Missile Launchers – 130 points

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like this list. If it was mine I'd change these things though:

1. loose the bright lance on the guardian squad. It is way to expensive of a weapon to have hit 50% of the time. Eml or scatter lasers are the way to go.

2. Dont really need war shout, but it only 5 points so its no big deal, but if you have to cut 5 points there it is.

3. I agree with Grinnsira, loose vectored engines on the serpent and get spirit stones.

4. The warlock with the bike squad should have embolden and a spear. This will allow you to threaten armor with the unit.

5. With the points you save buy fortune for your farseer. Trust me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts