Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was bored in a car journey so I made this list, trying to incorporate a bad ass character that don't need no squad maybe
Using the Baal strike force chart or whatever, as always

Captain- Angels wing, Valour's Edge, Plasma pistol, Artificer armour, Melta bombs, digital weapons
(The overall focus of the list, pretty much tanks face as needed. Plasma pistol or veritas vitae? To give me that new player feel where it's all about draigo smashing everything :wink:. Beefy enough so I feel good splitting him off to take out tactical squads or the like solo?)
Sanguinary Priest- Jump pack, Power sword, Bolt pistol
(Nothing out of the ordinary here, gets into small scraps with enemy sergeants and the like, nothing serious)

10man sanguinary guard squad- x8 Swords, x2 Fists, Chapter banner
(Nothing out the ordinary again, fists and banner as I love :angel: )

10man scout squad- Camo cloaks, Sniper rifles
(Part point filler, puts snipes on light-medium vehicles, takes out nasty things I guess and watches back objectives)
10man tactical squad- Melta gun, Multi melta- Rhino
(Walks up and guards the midfield, as a tactical squad does)

How's it look? Maybe drop the 10 scouts to 5 and take a rhino? Drop the completely for a small tactical squad with a missile launcher or something?
I understand the captain doesn't seek to gain much from being with the priest, he's more for the sanguinary guard. However WS 7 means people start to hit him in 5+s maybe?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Plasma pistol or veritas vitae?
Neither, Digital Weapons for when he comes up against something T5 and doesn't have the charge. Him with a Priest is kinda fun (WS7, FnP), him alone not quite as much.

If you're looking for a bad-ass Character that doesn't need a squad why not run the Sanguinor alongside your SG/Priest combo? Your mis-price of the Tactical squad accommodates this and then some.

Part point filler, puts snipes on light-medium vehicles
What vehicle are you shooting at that S4+D3 (with Rending) does anything?

10man tactical squad- Melta gun, Multi melta
More like 160 points here.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn my bad, in my original list the captain did have digital weapons on top, and the tactical a had a rhino- must have forgotten to write it in :(

Although switching to the sanguinor seems like a god plan actually, although it would remove the option of hiding in the sanguinary guard at times, and make 2+ harder, slightly

The scouts- I don't know, they could hurt rhinos I guess :p
Perhaps a 5 man tactical with lascannon or missile launcher would be better? Freeing up the points

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adjusted list...

Sanguinor
Sanguinary Priest- Jump pack, Valour's Edge, Bolt pistol, Melta bombs, Digital weapons

10man sanguinary guard squad- x8 Swords, x2 Fists, Chapter banner

5man tactical squad- lascannon
10man tactical squad- Melta gun, Multi melta- Rhino

I'll probably still use a conversion for the sanguinor, just because I dislike his model :p

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
4+3=7 (at best, given a 5/6 roll for Rending wrong), those sniper rifles are useless against vehicles.

EDIT: Whoa, something I just learned is that Sniper Rifles are range 36" (always thought it was 48") for us and don't have Rending. Sniper just gives precision shots and makes it AP2 on a to-wound roll of 6 as well as count as S4 against vehicles.

5 man Tactical squads with Lascannons would be great for popping vehicles (specifically transports), but at 1k unless you know what you're up against I'd likely take Plasma Cannons instead. Blast template keeps it relevant against infantry, and despite it being S7 the AP2 means it can actually blow stuff up. I use them quite a lot in my Deathwing army and have recently started trying them out in smaller games. Been doing OK so far, though Get's Hot can be frustrating at times. The Missile Launcher is a fun time too with its template and S8 options, but for anti tank at AP3 you're just not as effective.

I think you could have some fun with the Sanguinor in this list. If someone has a counter to your SG you're pretty screwed (like the pair of Executioner tanks I play with my Guard all the time), but otherwise they'll readily deal with anything at 1k I'd say.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good point on the plasma cannon, also gives a bit more AP2 to the list

And yes, the sanguinary guard are the core of the list but I'm not sure how to get around that, they've deep striked in front of 4 rip tides before and survived (you have no idea how lucky my FNP rolls were :))

That is a huge bummer on the snipers- I just assumed they were rending
So the strength 4+6 armour pen+ rending 3 means they could glance AV 13... But they're definitely out then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts