Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a list which I played around with throughout the end of 5th going into 6th ed in the old codex. Having finally got my hands on the new codex, thought I'd give it a new lick of paint.

Aim is to keep the *surprise!* element to the list; whilst also keeping it all footdar (including vehicles which are bipedal).

HQ:
Autarch - 150
Firesabre, Fusion Gun, Warp Jump Generator, Phoenix Gem

Spiritseer - 70
Runes of Battle

Troops:
10x Guardian Defenders - 110
1xBright Lances

10x Guardian Defenders - 110
1xBright Lances

5x Rangers - 60

Fast Attack:
7x Warp Spiders - 173
Exarch, Power Blades, Stalker

6x Warp Spiders - 114

Heavy Support:
2x War Walkers - 140
4x Scatter Lasers

1x War Walker - 70
2x Scatter Laser

GRAND TOTAL: 997pts

The Plan:

Autarch - Grabs a group of warp spiders and provides a bit more anti-tank (especially useful when landing in front/side arks), as well as some combat ability. Phoenix gem should keep him alive a bit longer, and 3+ sv on spiders means only 1 will die.

Spiritseer - Warlord. Sits with Guardians and assists warp spiders with spells. Try to keep within 18" of spiders

Guardians 1 & 2 - Either spiritseers unit move up alone, or both move up. If vs combat army/spiders going to jump defensively, then both stay back.

Rangers - Literally just an objective sitter. If these guys kill a heavy/special weapon carrier, I'll deem them to have performed well.

Warp Spiders 1&2 - Deepstrike in and just shoot stuff. Exarchs have stalker + power blades for a bit more potency in combat and to take challenges when autarch would die.

War Walkers - Stroll in from the side and dakka dakka side/rear armour. Would take full scatter lasers, but was 1 point over.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The Spiritseer can't give the Guardians Stealth/Shrouded with MOTLG- he loses Independent Character, and hence cannot confer Stealth/Shrouded. If you're doing it with his primaris power, that's also illegal- that only gives the psyker Shrouded, and you cannot target a different unit with it.

Autarchs without Laser Lances are crap in combat, and even then they're not the complete monster everyone makes him out to be. Also, giving him a Warp Jump Generator is really dangerous when using jump moves, since you can't pick the model that dies when you roll doubles.

I don't think the 20 man blob is all that great here, I'd rather 2x10 man squads.

The rest of the list is OK.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I say get rid of the power blades and stalker from both warp spider squads that enough points to give you another war walker

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Derp. Reading the rules properly helps!

I took the Autarch more because he helps the list function as a whole. The ability to get 4 units & 1 character in on a 2+ gives the necessary *Surprise!* factor which made this list work in the past. Whilst I'm aware an Avatar would be a more competitive choice, the autarch is there to make the list more unique whilst also fitting with the mentality of the list. As for his warp jump generator, now more than ever the risks have been reduced as the Jump-shoot-jump move is not risky, and the only warp jumping necessary is when 6" +D6" isn't enough to be in range.

The changes I've made are:

Cut the 2nd warpspider exarch (I kept the first to take difficult challenges)
Cut mantle of the laughing god

Added a phoenix gem (more survivability)
Added a war walker
Changed warlord to spiritseer (hope that I roll "Seer of the SHifting Vector"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts