Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is my first list (ever), and I was hoping to get some comments and criticisms on it. Any suggestions on expanding it for future larger games, or where to start in building up this army (ie, what to bring to the fight if playing, say, a 750 pt game), are also very welcomed! I've only read the Codex and Rulebook for the first time in the past couple of weeks, but I have done so twice, for each, since then. However, I've only seen part of one game in person, and other than battle reports, have no idea how well this would actually work.

Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning
Terminator Armor
Combi-Melta
Chooser of the Slain
Total: 135

Pack 1:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta and Powerfist
Wolf Guard with Wolf Claw and Combi-Melta
Rhino
Total: 238

Pack 2:
Grey Hunters x9--Flamer and Powerfist
Wolf Guard with Wolf Claw and Combi-Flamer
Rhino
Total: 233

Long Fangs x5
Missile Launcher x5
Total: 125

Wolf Guard Terminator x5
Combi-Melta x3, Combi-Flamer, Combi-Plasma
Storm Shield
Wolf Claw
Missle Launcher
Total: 240

Grand Total: 971

My thinking was a relatively small force with a huge wallop, with some mobility mostly for crowd control and cover. I think this covers the bases for anti-tank, anti-horde, and anti-infantry. Depending on the terrain, cover options, and objectives, I'm thinking the standard approach would be to have the two rhinos on either side of the terminator squad, with the rune priest and long fangs on either side of the terminator squad, but behind the rhinos. Use the rhinos to charge the front lines and gain ground early on, forcing a bottleneck, whereby the enemy's forces are torn apart from each side by the Grey Hunter packs as the long fangs and rune priest bombard from afar, while the terminators move up slow and steady to rip up whatever makes it through the bottleneck. If/when something does get past the bottleneck, I'm hoping the storm shield will help buy a little time for the other groups to further whittle-down the enemy's survivors before they can kill off the rest of my troops.

If you see any issues with the tactics, please let me know as well.

Thanks ahead of time, and thanks for providing such a helpful resource!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys--how do these revisions look:

Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning
Total: 100

Wolf Guard Terminator /w Missle Launcher (goes to Long Fangs)
Wolf Guard with Power Fist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 1)
Wolf Guard with Powerfist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 2)
Wolf Guard
Wolf Guard
Total: 185

Pack 1:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino
Total: 200

Pack 2:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

Heavy Group 1:
Long Fangs x4
Missile Launcher x3
Razorback--Twin-Linked LasPlas
Total: 165

Heavy Group 2:
Long Fangs x3
Missile Launcher x3
Razorback--Twin-Linked LasPlas
Total: 150

Grand Total: 1000

I might've gotten a little confused, so I apologize if this is still way off, but I really appreciate your feedback on this!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So basically this?

Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning
Total: 100

Wolf Guard Terminator
Wolf Guard with Power Fist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 1)
Wolf Guard with Powerfist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 2)
Total: 119

Pack 1:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

Pack 2:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

Heavy Group 1:
Long Fangs x5
Missile Launcher x4
Razorback--Twin-Linked Las-Plas
Total: 190

Heavy Group 2:
Long Fangs x5
Missile Launcher x4
Razorback--Twin-Linked Las-Plas
Total: 190

Where should I put the WG in terminator armor (or should I do away with him entirely?), and how should I arrange all this at the beginning now? Originally, I was going for an H or Y formation, but with 2 additional vehicles (which, I'm assuming, are going to be transporting the LFs, and not simply doing their own thing with the LFs in the back of the map as I had originally thought) I'm really not sure how this all looks as far as setting the actual assault up.

I really appreciate the help guys--your advice and feedback has been absolutely fantastic!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh. I see the merits to both approaches, and am very thankful for the explanations. Out of curiosity Khain, what would you do differently from a tactical perspective using an army such as this?

What do you guys think are the biggest weaknesses to an approach and/or army like the one I have planned?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmm...This thread is bringing up a lot of things I hadn't considered (which is exactly what I was hoping for!). The Razorbacks, while undoubtedly effective, are definitely looking like a major point investment. Since I don't really have any idea what I'll be facing (or what I'm doing for that matter), are the benefits of the RBs really worth that investment in such a low-points game? In other words, are the Razorbacks bringing enough to the table to warrant taking them instead of something that would counter the cc for the point cost? It seems as though I would be bringing along a lot of fire power with just the two LF squads, but then again, I don't know squat.

Of the game I saw in person, a CSM v. SM 2000pt match (if I remember correctly), both armies had a ton of troops, with one guy having a Defiler and 2 Rhinos, a Daemon Prince, 2 squads of 3 Oblits, and a squad of Devastators. The SM guy brought a vindicator, 2 Devastator squads, 1 terminator squad, and I think a Rhino (or 2). Everything else was standard troops, (although the CSM guy had his nurgle troops, berzerkers, noise marines, 1k sons, and then the rest standard CSMs). They were on a first-name basis with the manager at the local GW shop, so I'm assuming they are regulars whom I will eventually face.

The whole point of that, though, is that I see I am bringing comparable or superior Heavy Support to both of those 2000 point armies in a 1000 point army. I guess what I'm asking is: should I be worried about the lack of foot troops? Is this pretty standard? Will I still be able to be competitive (and maybe even win a few)?

Really sorry for the dumb questions, but I really want to know how to play the game, play it well, and play it smart. That, and the hobby is expensive; I want to be able to make the most effective use of both my points in-game, and money in the outside world.

Thanks again guys, and my apologies if this is getting bothersome.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Spot on, guys!

I realize that a lot of this will come down to personal preference, but I appreciate your shared experience and informed opinions, as I had only the vaguest idea of where to start. I feel a lot more confident after your insights, and the advice offered has been invaluable.

I appreciate the suggestion of "never footslog". If you have anything else in terms of things to do or not do tactically, I am all ears. I'm still kind of unsure how the new list will work in regards to tactics, but I'm very excited to give it a whirl and see what evolves from it.

With all due respect, I'm not sure I'll be doing many friendly games, just because I don't know anyone else into wargaming. As such, my intent is to play each game tournament-style, and if friendships happen to evolve during the course of these little rivalries, that'd be great, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of competition and strategy. So while I think that will be the greatest source of enjoyment, I'm keeping an open mind. =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.