Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,060 Posts
1 noob mistake you made. you need 1 sargent with your Long fangs, there is no optional there, but for a 1000 list you have the extra points for that easy.

I would Switch up your Wolf guard squad to 1 WG termie w/ CML and 2 PA w/ PF to go into your squads

Throw the CML with the long fangs, you now have 7 ML shots that can split fire into 2 different targets

Melta > Flamer for the 5 points on your Grey hunters, throw a PF PA WG in these for the 10, you obvously do not get a second special weapon this way since the GH are at 9 strong still in terms for that.

Use the points you gained from Losing all that annoying Termie armor to give your WG packs atleast a Wolf Standard, even at one use per game, the rerolling of any 1 has saved me I dont know how many times (this means rolling to hit, rolling to wound, Armor saves, and if you take it, and Mark of the wulfen that round)

if you have extra points from there, use them on Power weapons in the Grey hunters.

You can drop the combi melta and Termie armor on your rune priest and keep it near or in the squad of Long fangs aswell.

· Registered
4,060 Posts
the way Gens strat works, which by the way, I dont do because I personally think Razor backs are a WASTE OF POINTS. but thats just me. is you deploy the Long fangs and Razor back seperate, throw the long fangs somewhere nicely in cover to pelt the enemy and have the razorbacks act as mobile firepower

also if your following Gens advice drop the termie all together.

the fact I make about Razorbacks being worthless is you spend 75 points per, so with your list your putting 150 points into 2 las guns that are tough to kill...

now 150 points could be spent on a third ML group (another 4 shots split fire capible I enjoy this), or a vindicator (str 10 large blast. worth it aslong as you move with with the army)

· Registered
4,060 Posts
1. plas gun is half the range of a Las for 1 shot, a quarter for the rapid fire
2. Las gun is double the range for 1 shot and has the extra str over the plas

Are you rushing your Razors into the heat of combat? since Id probably keep them near my Long fangs and have a massive gunline in the back, hence Razorbacks are not worth the points. And the cost isnt Low, since you can throw another gunner with LAs into the LF squads for quite abit cheaper and still come out with spare points.

Also with 2 LF squads if you split them up right some jackass with a pred shouldnt give you too much trouble if you get LoS with both groups I do agree a pred would be a pain. and LFs are not known for anti 14 armor either.

· Registered
4,060 Posts
Ahh. I see the merits to both approaches, and am very thankful for the explanations. Out of curiosity Khain, what would you do differently from a tactical perspective using an army such as this?

What do you guys think are the biggest weaknesses to an approach and/or army like the one I have planned?
your army is pretty solid, I dont disagree with how gen builds lists, but they dont suit my personal preference. since paying for armour doesnt work out nicely.

many people complain that vindicators dont work, but Ive only ever messed up once with my shot to warrent a complaint and it was my own fault for not giving myself the proper distance.

Id say if you have spare points though, put Power Weapons into your Grey hunters. that helps me alot having the power weapon in the GH and a power fist from the attached WG gives a good ammount of Power attacks that ignore saves.

as mentioned earlier, if you need the punch of the Las to take out tanks just switch the Razor back for a single Lascannon Long fang in each squad its cheaper, you can still only target 2 units, but I have rarely seen a time when my Long fangs NEEDED to throw their fire power out at more then 2 units even with targeting Armour too.

but yes, as Gen said, your biggest weakness is Dedicated CC Units believe it or not. the Grey hunters MIGHT hold up against some of them but some will just destroy them as everything else. Thankfully, though, you should not have too much of that problem since your Grey hunters are in armour (which can take objectives if you stay in them) and you can safely Widdle down any annoying CC that would destroy you with numbers.

I know Gen will agree with me on this: DEPLOY YOUR LONG FANGS as high as possible. multiple floor buildings are the best. Keeps them from being assaulted as easily and gives them better LoS to everything

· Registered
4,060 Posts
CLT, it was not that wolves suck at CC, but have a weakness to facing a full power dedicated CC units (assault Terminators, a full squad of Genestealers, and such) as such they NEED to use guns to soften up those units to have a good chance against them.

Gen and I both did say DEDICATED CC units. since SW are awsome at CC but are not dedicated CC units

· Registered
4,060 Posts
to be honest I find testing different list types works best to find what YOU are into.

we could mess with your list until you get a list similar to mine, or Gen. or whoever. but the fact remains, if its a friendly game, put in what you WANT to field. if you want to field Long fangs, do ML, if you want to field Grey hunters give the wolf standard MotW and a guard or 2 Melta guns. etc.

if your wanting more Armour or more ground troops. etc its all possible and would work fine in friendly games. we can help you greatly with building the lists but ultimately its YOUR models and how YOU can use them that becomes the biggest factor in any of these games. though what you have is more important in 40k then fantasy... but I wont get into that, my obsession with fantasy right now is just from how awsome the new rules are and my models turning out awsomely when I paint them

· Registered
4,060 Posts
you said that you have a Local GW you play at correct? if it has a set 40k day (GWs ALWAYS do, some LGS do it too) you can go in and have "friendly" games with others who you dont know as well and gain their friendship that way. Plus, atleast at GWs "tournaments" will probably be more Fantasy this year over 40k since the new rules came out, etc

also I agree with Gen on this 100% DONT FOOTSLOG, Rhinos are cheap and worth the points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.