Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first list (ever), and I was hoping to get some comments and criticisms on it. Any suggestions on expanding it for future larger games, or where to start in building up this army (ie, what to bring to the fight if playing, say, a 750 pt game), are also very welcomed! I've only read the Codex and Rulebook for the first time in the past couple of weeks, but I have done so twice, for each, since then. However, I've only seen part of one game in person, and other than battle reports, have no idea how well this would actually work.

Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning
Terminator Armor
Combi-Melta
Chooser of the Slain
Total: 135

Pack 1:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta and Powerfist
Wolf Guard with Wolf Claw and Combi-Melta
Rhino
Total: 238

Pack 2:
Grey Hunters x9--Flamer and Powerfist
Wolf Guard with Wolf Claw and Combi-Flamer
Rhino
Total: 233

Long Fangs x5
Missile Launcher x5
Total: 125

Wolf Guard Terminator x5
Combi-Melta x3, Combi-Flamer, Combi-Plasma
Storm Shield
Wolf Claw
Missle Launcher
Total: 240

Grand Total: 971

My thinking was a relatively small force with a huge wallop, with some mobility mostly for crowd control and cover. I think this covers the bases for anti-tank, anti-horde, and anti-infantry. Depending on the terrain, cover options, and objectives, I'm thinking the standard approach would be to have the two rhinos on either side of the terminator squad, with the rune priest and long fangs on either side of the terminator squad, but behind the rhinos. Use the rhinos to charge the front lines and gain ground early on, forcing a bottleneck, whereby the enemy's forces are torn apart from each side by the Grey Hunter packs as the long fangs and rune priest bombard from afar, while the terminators move up slow and steady to rip up whatever makes it through the bottleneck. If/when something does get past the bottleneck, I'm hoping the storm shield will help buy a little time for the other groups to further whittle-down the enemy's survivors before they can kill off the rest of my troops.

If you see any issues with the tactics, please let me know as well.

Thanks ahead of time, and thanks for providing such a helpful resource!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Ok.... Drop all the crap on the RP get rid of the wolf claws on the wg and give them PF. Drop the pf from the gh units and give them motw and a melta. Next drop the 2 extra wg and the cyclone, nice but too pricy for this lvl. Get 2 LF units with 3 ml each and give them razors with lasplas. If you want you can reduce your squads to 5 and lasplas spam.... But this should be good. If you have points give your gh standards and if you have a lot maybe PW but I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
1 noob mistake you made. you need 1 sargent with your Long fangs, there is no optional there, but for a 1000 list you have the extra points for that easy.

I would Switch up your Wolf guard squad to 1 WG termie w/ CML and 2 PA w/ PF to go into your squads

Throw the CML with the long fangs, you now have 7 ML shots that can split fire into 2 different targets

Melta > Flamer for the 5 points on your Grey hunters, throw a PF PA WG in these for the 10, you obvously do not get a second special weapon this way since the GH are at 9 strong still in terms for that.

Use the points you gained from Losing all that annoying Termie armor to give your WG packs atleast a Wolf Standard, even at one use per game, the rerolling of any 1 has saved me I dont know how many times (this means rolling to hit, rolling to wound, Armor saves, and if you take it, and Mark of the wulfen that round)

if you have extra points from there, use them on Power weapons in the Grey hunters.

You can drop the combi melta and Termie armor on your rune priest and keep it near or in the squad of Long fangs aswell.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Much like the others, I'm not a huge fan of Space Wolf Termies..... I think Codex marines do them better... The only one I'd keep (since you're buying WG anyway) isthe Termie with the Cyclone...

But the cheapest way to get a lot of firepower into these guys is to spam Long Fangs... BTW, 5 ML long fangs is 140 not 125 (at least that's what armybuilder tells me)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
You are right man. If I am right, I have the codex memorized for the most part, it's 140. But I don't think he will need more that 6 with 2 lasplas razors. That's 4 targets a turn. Should do the trick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys--how do these revisions look:

Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning
Total: 100

Wolf Guard Terminator /w Missle Launcher (goes to Long Fangs)
Wolf Guard with Power Fist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 1)
Wolf Guard with Powerfist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 2)
Wolf Guard
Wolf Guard
Total: 185

Pack 1:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino
Total: 200

Pack 2:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

Heavy Group 1:
Long Fangs x4
Missile Launcher x3
Razorback--Twin-Linked LasPlas
Total: 165

Heavy Group 2:
Long Fangs x3
Missile Launcher x3
Razorback--Twin-Linked LasPlas
Total: 150

Grand Total: 1000

I might've gotten a little confused, so I apologize if this is still way off, but I really appreciate your feedback on this!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
You can not have 3 ml if you have 3 lf. You need 4. I would dump the cyclone and the extra wg and give your lf more men and missiles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So basically this?

Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning
Total: 100

Wolf Guard Terminator
Wolf Guard with Power Fist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 1)
Wolf Guard with Powerfist and Combi-Melta (goes to Pack 2)
Total: 119

Pack 1:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

Pack 2:
Grey Hunters x9--Melta
Wolf-Standard
Mark of the Wulfen
Rhino

Heavy Group 1:
Long Fangs x5
Missile Launcher x4
Razorback--Twin-Linked Las-Plas
Total: 190

Heavy Group 2:
Long Fangs x5
Missile Launcher x4
Razorback--Twin-Linked Las-Plas
Total: 190

Where should I put the WG in terminator armor (or should I do away with him entirely?), and how should I arrange all this at the beginning now? Originally, I was going for an H or Y formation, but with 2 additional vehicles (which, I'm assuming, are going to be transporting the LFs, and not simply doing their own thing with the LFs in the back of the map as I had originally thought) I'm really not sure how this all looks as far as setting the actual assault up.

I really appreciate the help guys--your advice and feedback has been absolutely fantastic!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
the way Gens strat works, which by the way, I dont do because I personally think Razor backs are a WASTE OF POINTS. but thats just me. is you deploy the Long fangs and Razor back seperate, throw the long fangs somewhere nicely in cover to pelt the enemy and have the razorbacks act as mobile firepower

also if your following Gens advice drop the termie all together.

the fact I make about Razorbacks being worthless is you spend 75 points per, so with your list your putting 150 points into 2 las guns that are tough to kill...

now 150 points could be spent on a third ML group (another 4 shots split fire capible I enjoy this), or a vindicator (str 10 large blast. worth it aslong as you move with with the army)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
The reason I go for the razors with lasplas is because you can have to effective armor/hard infentry killers for low cost just to bump up your fire support. A lone vindi is an explosion waiting to happen and you don't get the punch from a lf group. If some jackass fields a pred you are basically putting an entire LF group on it just to take it down where as you can fry them reliably with the razors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh. I see the merits to both approaches, and am very thankful for the explanations. Out of curiosity Khain, what would you do differently from a tactical perspective using an army such as this?

What do you guys think are the biggest weaknesses to an approach and/or army like the one I have planned?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Cc. If you get hit with dedicated cc units you will lose.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
1. plas gun is half the range of a Las for 1 shot, a quarter for the rapid fire
2. Las gun is double the range for 1 shot and has the extra str over the plas

Are you rushing your Razors into the heat of combat? since Id probably keep them near my Long fangs and have a massive gunline in the back, hence Razorbacks are not worth the points. And the cost isnt Low, since you can throw another gunner with LAs into the LF squads for quite abit cheaper and still come out with spare points.

Also with 2 LF squads if you split them up right some jackass with a pred shouldnt give you too much trouble if you get LoS with both groups I do agree a pred would be a pain. and LFs are not known for anti 14 armor either.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Ahh. I see the merits to both approaches, and am very thankful for the explanations. Out of curiosity Khain, what would you do differently from a tactical perspective using an army such as this?

What do you guys think are the biggest weaknesses to an approach and/or army like the one I have planned?
your army is pretty solid, I dont disagree with how gen builds lists, but they dont suit my personal preference. since paying for armour doesnt work out nicely.

many people complain that vindicators dont work, but Ive only ever messed up once with my shot to warrent a complaint and it was my own fault for not giving myself the proper distance.

Id say if you have spare points though, put Power Weapons into your Grey hunters. that helps me alot having the power weapon in the GH and a power fist from the attached WG gives a good ammount of Power attacks that ignore saves.

as mentioned earlier, if you need the punch of the Las to take out tanks just switch the Razor back for a single Lascannon Long fang in each squad its cheaper, you can still only target 2 units, but I have rarely seen a time when my Long fangs NEEDED to throw their fire power out at more then 2 units even with targeting Armour too.

but yes, as Gen said, your biggest weakness is Dedicated CC Units believe it or not. the Grey hunters MIGHT hold up against some of them but some will just destroy them as everything else. Thankfully, though, you should not have too much of that problem since your Grey hunters are in armour (which can take objectives if you stay in them) and you can safely Widdle down any annoying CC that would destroy you with numbers.

I know Gen will agree with me on this: DEPLOY YOUR LONG FANGS as high as possible. multiple floor buildings are the best. Keeps them from being assaulted as easily and gives them better LoS to everything

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Razors depends upon how my group does kp but yeah, agree with most of the last post.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I would also say that 1K isn't enough points. At 1K, I agree that 2 TL Lasbacks are not as good at 5ML Long Fangs (I'd rather have the split fire options) However, as you expand the list towards 1.5 and 2K, you'll find a home for it. To share a slighly diff varient that I use for 1k (which is for mostly new players or guys building thier list)

Rune Priest
2 Squads in Rhinos (one maxed out with 2x melta)
2x 5 Long fangs
2x Landspeeder Typhoon

No WG in this list.. and I'm taking the Powerfist (yeah, I know - only one attack) to keep from getting tarpitted by dreads.... I think my shooting should be able to handle any mech threat and Wolves don't suck at all in CC.... If somebody brings a termie squad against it, the plan would be to shoot everything at it and then then look to torrent the termies to death. It would be costly, but in order to do that, you're looking at NO other support... so it should work out in my favor....

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Tbh I do a full razorwing at this lvl but I didn't want to change his list to much.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Tbh I do a full razorwolf at this lvl but I didn't want to change his list to much.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
CLT, it was not that wolves suck at CC, but have a weakness to facing a full power dedicated CC units (assault Terminators, a full squad of Genestealers, and such) as such they NEED to use guns to soften up those units to have a good chance against them.

Gen and I both did say DEDICATED CC units. since SW are awsome at CC but are not dedicated CC units

1 - 20 of 26 Posts