Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea is that the grey hunters hang back and provide covering fire. The dreadnought and thunderwolves advance on the enemy. Termi deep strike where they are needed. I will be using the champions of fenris supplement.

HQ – Harald Deathwolf – 190 pts

Troops – Grey Hunters – 10 men, 2 Plasma Guns, WG w/ Thunder Hammer– 230 pts

Elites – Wolf Guard Terminators – 5 men, Chainfist + Storm Bolter, Assault Cannon + Power Fist, 2 Wolf Claws, Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield, Storm Bolter + Power Weapon – 240 pts

Elites - Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Smoke Launchers - 130 pts

Fast Attack – Thunderwolf Cavalry – 3 men, 3 Storm Shields, Thunder Hammer, Power Axe – 210 pts

·
Registered
71 Posts
My first thought is you are certainly keeping boot count dangerously low! Especially with you having a quarter of your army at the mercy of reserve rolls!

Although Harald provides you a nice boost to those wolves, I feel he's too expensive at this points level. You'd probably benefit more from a rune priest or wolf priest on a bike, giving you some nice little buffs while not breaking the bank.

The grey hunters to me feel really out of place. They excel in the midfield, acting as a nice counter assault to the enemy if they break through your first rank. I'd stick them in a cheap transport and get them up the board holding on to an objective in the middle of the table, they will provide a better support platform than back at base. Also struggling to see where the thunder hammer comes into a stay at home unit, but assuming rule of cool has a part to play here (love thunder hammer wielding troops, nasty surprise for the enemy, but it rarely goes well for me). That hammer alone pretty much gets you a rhino or drop pod by itself, giving you a chance of a nice alpha strike or getting those hunters in the middle.

An entertaining mismatch of weapons on those terminators. Definitely got a tool for every job. But again with very little on the board, I'm concerned they'll arrive too late and end up on their lonesome having to deal with a pretty much unscathed enemy as you are having to close the distance on the enemy to do anything. A smart opponent will just wait for you to come to them and take you out from a distance, Thunder wolves and terminators can absorb a large amount of firepower, but will eventually start failing those saves, and each fail is going to hurt you a lot!

Dreadnoughts...see, I want to say they are awesome! I want to say they are worth every single point...but I just can't do it. They are just too fragile for their own good, especially if they are walking up the board. I honestly don't think you'll get much out of him at all.

Thunderwolves are awesome, case closed. I would recommend however you go for a wolf claw rather than the power axe. Although the axes gives you some more ap2, the claw gives you ap3 at initiative, every little helps. You have rending for being on a wolf anyway so a hammer should cover your ap2 needs in that unit.

Overall I like the idea of a small band of wolves, its iconic and makes a good story. But I'm not sure the sagas of your battles will go the way you want. Of course I'm not sure exactly sure what the list is for (fun, competitive, etc.) and your model situation so don't want to go suggesting things which don't fit what you're after. However, generally speaking you are lacking in solid anti-tank, relying heavily on reserve rolls and have very little mobility which could seriously hamper you in any game situation.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Essentially I am trying to build a 1000 pt list from the following collection:

HQ – Bjorn the Fellhanded – 220 pts
Dedicated Transport – Drop Pod – 35 pts
Troops – Blood Claws – 10 men, WG w/ Power Axe – 145 pts (In Land Raider)
Elites – Arjac Rockfist – 115 pts
Elites – Murder Fang – 135 pts
Elites – Wolf Guard Terminators – 5 men, Chainfist + Storm Bolter, Assault Cannon + Power Fist, 2 Wolf Claws, Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield, Storm Bolter + Power Weapon – 240 pts
Fast Attack – Thunderwolf Cavalry – 3 men, 3 Storm Shields, Thunder Hammer, Power Axe – 210 pts
Heavy Support – Land Raider Crusader – Multi Melta – 260 pts

Ok to get some extra mobility how about this:

Troops - Blood Claws - 5 men, WG w/ Power Axe - 85 pts

Fast Attack – Thunderwolf Cavalry – 3 men, 3 Storm Shields, Thunder Hammer, Power Axe – 210 pts[/QUOTE]

Heavy Support - Land Raider Redeemer - Multi Melta - 250 pts

TOTAL - 1000 pts

Blood Claws go in the pod, grey hunters in the land raider.

OR

HQ – Wolf Lord – Power Weapon, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf – 185 pts

Troops - Blood Claws - 10 men, WG w/ Power Axe - 145 pts

Elites - Dreadnought - Assualt Cannon, Heavy Flamer - 125 pts

Fast Attack – Thunderwolf Cavalry – 3 men, 3 Storm Shields, Thunder Hammer, Power Axe – 210 pts[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
71 Posts
No worries!
If Harald is your only HQ I'd stick with him rather than a standard wolf-lord.

I'm leaning more towards the first list as having a land raider at this points level is very nice. However, think you've got the points wrong on the grey hunters got them down as 210pts not 230pts. Also, not sure about having grey hunters in the land raider. The blood claws can't assault out of the drop pod when they arrive and the grey hunters can't fire their plasma and charge when they've disembarked from the land raider.

I would be tempted to swap them round, and then shift some numbers around. Firstly dropping the grey hunters down to 5 man with a plasma gun in the drop pod.

Then, increase the blood claws up to 9, downgrade the pack leader into a blood claw with power weapon (power axe) and then add the pack leader from the grey hunters with thunder hammer and stick them in the land raider. This gives you another nasty assault unit which can pile out of the raider once you close the distance.

So overall, you'd have this for your troop choices:
Grey Hunters (x5)
-Plasma gun (x1)
-Drop pod

Blood claws (x10) (using land raider)
-Power axe (x1)
-Wolf guard pack leader with Thunder hammer

This gives you 55pts to play with. Add 3 grey hunters, get a plasma pistol wielding pack leader, meltabombs, tank upgrades, etc. The worlds your oyster.

Just my thoughts anyway, depends if you just wanted the hunters to hide in the raider and the claws to just sit on an objective somewhere

1 - 4 of 4 Posts