Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current list is as follows:

HQ: Chaplain w. jump pack

FA: 5 Assault marines (sarge w power fist and combat shield)
LS Storm w. Heavy flamer

El: Dred w. multimelta

Tr: 10 Tacticals (flamer, ml) + Rhino
10 Tacticals (melta, ml) + Rhino
5 Scouts (ccw) - these go in the Storm
5 Scouts (sniper, cloak, ml)

My experience:

My storm with the 5 combat scouts is held in reserve. When it comes on, it outflanks, flames, and the scouts assault. It is quite effective and destroys some pretty meaty squads (the h. flamer whittles the squad down, and the scouts do enough in cc to make the enemy break for a sweeping advance). The storm and/or scouts are usually wiped out after carrying out this tactic.

Dred never seems to do anything.

My rhinos seem to get imobilised/wrecked easily, which leaves my tacticals ineffective.

Sniper scouts can't stop anything.

Chaplain and assault marines get overwhelmed because they are too few.

So, suggestions? New army list or better tactics? Or both?!

Should I ditch the dred for 5 more assault marines (with flamer/plasma pistol). Maybe ditch a 10man tactical + rhino for a vindicator and whirlwind?

I was tempted to try make room for another dred (ironclad?) and put both my dreds in droppods.

Maybe scrap the Chaplain and assualtmarines for a captain + sternguard in a pod?

Thanks for your help.

th

·
Registered
95 Posts
i would trade the combat scouts for something else and you ether need to give the dread a assultcannon or laz and ml maybe give your tactical squads plasma and take your rhinos out and used something else then your tactical squads just hang back and chill you then infiltrate your scouts and change your power fist to a lightning claw fielding the chap with him is amazing or maybe just exchange the assaults with a squad of vanguard veterans with all lightning claws and jump packs then on the assault you can re-role you failed to hit and to wound

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
First, by the love of many things bloodangels666, please use some punctuation. Please take a breath in those posts, no one needs a single unending line of text.

Interesting choice, when combined with the assault marines can pack a very big punch; however the most important thing is the squad the chaplain is with. If its to small, then they will do fuck all because they cannot afford the losses they will take, to big and your spending to many points on one group (and at 1k that is a bad thing.)

FA: 5 Assault marines (sarge w power fist and combat shield)
I'd suggest dropping the combat shield, the invulnerable save it gives is terrible at best, and the sergeant is the last person you want to be putting wounds on, especially if those wounds are denying armour saves.

For this unit I would suggest increasing their numbers by two or three, maybe even getting them a flamer. Ten is a tad overkill in my opinion, seven/eight work fairly well with the chaplain and you save yourself the points of the extra two bodies. Admittedly though, not taking ten means you do not gain access to a second special weapon, but then that also means your not spending even more points on the unit.

LS Storm w. Heavy flamer
Interesting choice, maybe consider getting this thing a multi-melta so that when it comes in it can deal with some armour instead of infantry. Overall this list is fairly lacking in the anti armour department.

El: Dred w. multimelta
The reason this dred is not performing well, if at all, for you is the setup. If your going multi-melta than you need to get in range fast, thats why, in my experience, you will be hard pressed to see people not suggesting a drop pod when taking the multi melta. If you stick with that weapon, that is the suggestion I give you.

Saying that though, this list is generally lacking in anti armour and anti big stuff, so taking something like a twin linked lascannon and missile launcher would be a great help to that, though it is more expensive than your multi melta dred and you no longer have the close combat arm. Personally, I have found some good use from a plasmacannon dred. The plasmacannon itself is a cheap upgrade, you retain the close combat arm, gain additional range and the shot is a blast, and best of all plasmacannons can hurt both infantry and most armour. (Light and medium armour, can't do anything to heavy unfortunately.)

I'd suggest dropping one of these squads in favour of points freed up for changes across the board. Along with the scout squads you have between four and six scoring units at a thousand points. Thats great, but the points you spend getting those units means the overall list will suffer from lack of upgrades and focus.

Of the two I would say drop the flamer squad, and give the melta squad a powerfist so that it has some punch if it reaches close combat, or for if that meltagun does not do its job in killing some armour or laying hurt on a big nasty.

Interesting choice, though without a close combat upgrade they can easily become bogged down and overwhelmed in close combat. A mediocre weapon skill and no armour save denying attacks means that unless luck is always with you, these guys should be hard pressed to perform. For this unit I would either suggest a powerfist, or a power weapon and meltabombs.

5 Scouts (sniper, cloak, ml)
Personally I like this unit; the big thing with scouts is the proper hit they took in regards to their weapon skill and ballistic skill. If they aren't doing well for you then maybe consider getting them an extra body or two; it might just be me but whenever my scouts start to suck, I toss in an extra guy and it helps now and then.

Otherwise, if the close combat scouts seem to be working for you consider getting another unit of them.

If you dropped the one tactical squad and the assault squads shield, took two more assault marines, added a fist to the remaining tactical squad, gave the close combat scouts a power weapon and meltabombs, and upgraded the dreds multi-melta to a plasmacannon then you could go for a predator with autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons. Your list jumps to a total of 1001, its over the 1k mark but only by a single point.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The first thing I see is that you are troop heavy. You lack support for your marines on the gun line. At 1000 points 2 troops are enough. Look at your core and go from there. As a leader if you want a chaplain look at Chaplain Cassius he is a few more points but hits hard with hellfire rounds and master crafted combi-bolter and higher toughness. It means you will need to go with free rhino assault troops vs jump pack but it might work for you.
I run a vulkan list so my storm and scout sgt have mm and combi melta. I like the way they perform. As a vanilla marine I would go HF and combi melta. The SGT has a BS4 so shooting is not bad for him. I also run him with a PF at 1500 points. At 1000 maybe just a PW instead but a power something is needed.
I stopped using snipers this edition. Not happy at all with their output. Most players go with Telion and ML which is ok but I would drop them at 1000 points.
Your dread with a MM needs a drop pod. I use an ironclad with MG, HKx2 and HF in a DP normally I support it with my speeder storm. Without a drop pod I would go with a PC. It is good range and great for dealing with MEQ and TEQ units.
As tactical squads go I run mine as ML, MG, combi Flamer, PF. Its 50/50 on the fist looking at trying a PW soon. But I use Las/Plas Razors and Laserbacks. It gives me more firepower and if you feel you can or need to combat squad you can.
I would go with a MotF, Libby, or Chaplain Cassius
2 tac squads, ml, mg, combi-flamer, P?, razorbacks
Plasma dread
Storm and scouts or a Pred. Then upgrade the razorbacks with the points you have left

·
Registered
220 Posts
www.forgeworld.co.uk $16-18 for the TLautocannon left and right arms, put that on your dread for 125 pts. boom bap! Order it up bro. Infantry and light to medium armor all bow down.

liquid

ps. i'd order two sets if i were you and lay some fools low

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Yeah, as seems to be a recurring theme here;
Anti-Armor Anti-Armor Anti-Armor!
drop a Tac Squad (The Flamer one) also the CC Scout Squad (mediocre stats)
Predators aint costly even if you just upgrade the turret to a TL-Las; Plenty of punch there.
LR's are out methinks. Consider upgrading the dread too or just getting it as close to them as you can asap, but that is risky; 2D6 on Penetration is worth it though

Just try to get some more Anti-Armor in there and you shouldn't have any problems

Good Luck

SGMAlice

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
My current list is as follows:

FA: 5 Assault marines (sarge w power fist and combat shield) drop the combat shield, perhaps add a flamer, can never have too many flamers

LS Storm w. Heavy flamerid add a MM to this dont DS use the scout move & pop smoke, if you have 1st turn just move it behind a tank & pop it

El: Dred w. multimelta id drop this personally

5 Scouts (sniper, cloak, ml) drop, waste of points IMO
basically i find that your lacking long range shots / pie plates.

with the 205 points that youd have if you drop the sniper scouts + dread id add either a dakka pred, a whirlwind, or a vindicator...potentially all three if you can cut enough points

this will keep your rhinos alive longer (since there is something more significant to shoot at)

the only other thing id suggest is to put PWs on your tact sargents cuz if you get in CC like it or not you cant kill stuff at a pace needed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts