Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey people!
I'm starting a raven Guard army and I read some fluff and decided that two battle forces would be a good way to start my new army :)

So I'm wondering what els I should get.. Here is what I have:

HQ:
Cpt. Shrike (going to buy next week)

Troops:
2x 10 man tac squads with rhino. (should i go with rocket and flamer? I have LOTS of bits including a Plasma cannon and las cannon)

10 Scouts (CCW)

Fast attack:
10 assault marines with Shrike - Sgt with pf and storm shield, 1 flamer (should I include melta bombs and/or a plasma pistol)

Elites:
10 Sternguard Veterans with 1 combi melta (these guys are converted from 10 normal marines)

Saahh yeah thats what i was thinking... what do you think??

CHEEREOS! :victory::victory:

·
Registered
116 Posts
2x 10 man tac squads with rhino. (should i go with rocket and flamer? I have LOTS of bits including a Plasma cannon and las cannon)
ML + flamer are fine if you're not going to combat squad them and rush a part of the squad forward.

10 Scouts (CCW)
I'd say their sergeant needs a power weapon (or even a powerfist). And maybe a combi-melta (just to unnerve your opponent a bit).

10 assault marines with Shrike - Sgt with pf and storm shield, 1 flamer (should I include melta bombs and/or a plasma pistol)
I'd say storm shield is excessive. So is meltabomb if you have a powerfist. And taking plasma pistol+flamer is... well, strange. They need too different targets to shoot at.

10 Sternguard Veterans with 1 combi melta (these guys are converted from 10 normal marines)
IMHO these guys need transport. Since pretty much everything else in the list is transported or infiltrated.

In general: you need a bit more of antitank punch. Right now dealing with a single Land Raider would be a great pain for you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks!
I'll give the scout sgt a PW, and are you sure they can take a multi melta!? (I dont have the codex but I know most of their rules)

I'll leave one squad of marines to shoot and i'll give the rhino to the Vets.
Should I give the tac marines 2 ML's or a Plasma canon/las canon??

Thankkkks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll give the scout sgt a PW, and are you sure they can take a multi melta!? (I dont have the codex but I know most of their rules)
I've meant COMBI-melta (Sergeant's upgrade) - sadly, it's one-shot, but it's an assault weapon and infiltration allows you to deliver it where enemy don't want it to be.

Should I give the tac marines 2 ML's or a Plasma canon/las canon??
A lascannon would be nice since not much in the list can kill AV14 now. And, but it's only my personal opinion, I don't like Gets Hot! combined with small blast and only 36" Range. But it's up to your playing style.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm not sure how many points I have to play with based off what you have. Here are some of my ideas
HQ:
Cpt. Shrike (going to buy next week)

Troops:

10 Scouts (CCW) for bigger games if you are going to assault with them maybe go with 2 LS storms with HF. A combi melta on the SGT is nice.

Fast attack:
10 assault marines with Shrike - Sgt with pf and storm shield, 1 flamer (should I include melta bombs and/or a plasma pistol) I like the plasma pistol on the sgt because I used it a lot to land behind dreads and pop them in the back. Of course I also remember losts of "Ouch! thats hot" wounds too. As far as being different weapons I think its great to have the mix. The ss is nice but if you are short on points I would drop it for a combi melta or combi flamer.

Elites:
10 Sternguard Veterans with 1 combi melta (these guys are converted from 10 normal marines) I would field them with a Lib and gate to move and shoot.

Well thats my 2 cents. Good Luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
do you want it to be competitive or fluffy :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts