Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HQ: Autarch on Jetbike, Mandiblasters, Banshee Mask, Laser Lance & Fusion Gun - 143 points.

6 Guardian Jetbikes, 2 Shuriken Cannon - 152 points.

2 Vypers with Missile Launchers - 130 points.

5 Shining Spears, Exarch with Shuriken Cannon & Star Lance, Skilled Rider & Withdraw - 252 points.

Autarch rides with the spears, who are supported by the Vypers, with one of the guardian jetbike squads running interference, while the other two launch a flank assault.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While many people say Vypers are a complete waste I have found uses for them, but the only reason they work is because they are cheap and not much of a threat, putting an anti-armor weapon on them raises their threat level. This would be fine if you had a couple of grav tanks in there too but the way your list is EVERY las cannon in your opponents army will be aimed at those 2 Vypers and they WILL go down hard.

The way I use Vypers is with a Scatter laser and surround it with GJB it gives that unit a little more punch and doesn’t have the psychological impact of an EML or BL.

And if you do the math the volume of Str 6 shots is better than the single Str 8 shot at anything AV 10-11 and with the speed of a bike you should have no problem finding side armor

Anti-Tank is an issue though I wont lie, its just the Vypers are not the way to do it
you just cant rely on them

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Lots of S 6, very little to deal with AV 13 or higher. Then again you won't see much in 1k.

It is very fast, so side and back armor are all very possible here.

Still not the biggest fan of Vypers as open-topped and BS 3 hurts (granted it works for some people), but you could get more EML shots from War Walkers for cheaper, and some extra S 6 for the same price. With that kind of range, mobility is not too much of an issue. Vypers are easier to get cover saves for, I'll give you that but they need them more too.

The biggest issue I have is that for any unit that takes 2 Casualties, it will have to make a break check and Guardians are infamous for breaking under pressure. That's why I like to have an Embolden Warlock with them. He can also help with tank busting if need be.

I'm not going to say a word about the Shining Spears. I just want to see someone use them! Sure they don't get a bunch of attacks but they sure pack a punch. (pricey though) That is doubly true with an Autarch with them.

I can see this list working against Orks, maybe Daemons, even maybe Tau, but anything with durable saves will likely be able to tough it out and eventually get your troops running or dead...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts