Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda new to the Eldar, but definitely looking forward to using them. How does this look?

HQ:

Farseer - 83pts
Singing Spear
Doom

He will ride around in the Wave Serpent and walk around with the Dire Avengers, throwing spears at tanks and whoever decides to jump in the way.

---------------------------------

Elite:

Harlequin x6 - 180 pts
Shadowseer
Harlequin's Kiss x6

Hoping my Harlequins will ride around in the Falcon until they can leap into action. Most of the games played here are done in Cityfight, so the Shadowseer will help make short work of my opponents as I Hit and Run between cover.

Fire Dragons x6 - 96pts

Basic Anti-Tank, not entirely sure how well they will do. I would assume most people know what they are and will wipe them out when they see them heading for their tanks and transport units.

--------------------------------

Troops:

Dire Avenger x9 + Exarch - 152 pts
Bladestorm
Dual Shuriken Catapult

Basic troop choice, rides around in the Wave Serpent until in range, then pops out to Bladestorm, jumps back in the Wave Serpent on next turn. Also not entirely useless in close combat.

Pathfinderx6 - 144 pts

I am a little wary of the point cost on these guys as opposed to taking a slew of Guardians. However, as most of our fights down here are Cityfight, getting broad lines of sight is relatively easy and the one-in-three chance of annihilating whatever they point at (Carnifex, Terminators, etc) just looks nice.

Fast Attack:

Vyper - 60 pts
Shuriken Cannon
Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapult

Objective thief, general nuisance.

Heavy Support:

Falcon - 195 pts
Dual Shuriken Cannon
Spirit Stones
Holo-Field
Vectored Engines

Harlequin transport and anti-infantry.

Troop Transport:

Wave Serpent - 110pts
Spirit Stones
Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon

Dire Avenger and Farseer transport, more anti-infantry.

One thing that worries me is my overall lack of anti-tank power. I know six melta-weapons are overkill against a single target, but once those Fire Dragons are gone, that seems to be the end of my tank killing ability.

Changing some of my tank weapons to a Bright Lance or Missle Launcher would require me to shave off points elsewhere, but might be worth doing.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The fire dragons are excellent anti-tank and anti MC/termies. But, they are almost completely useless in your list as they will be shot to bits before they get into range of anything. I would suggest finding the points for another transport, maybe drop the DA and their Serpent for something all around cheaper. Now you have a Melta squad in one hard-to-kill tank/transport. Although I hear that the skimmer rules are going to dramatically change in 5th, but untill then, the Falcons are what you want. Dont get me wrong, DA in the Waveserpent can really kick some tail, but its really pricy for what they do. The Harlies can get across the board pretty fast on their own an with a shadow seer they are a lot less vulnerable. Maybe you an put the Dragons in the Falcon you have, and add 2 more harlies to your squad. But, its whatever floats your boat really...

·
Registered
280 Posts
HQ:

Farseer - 83pts
Singing Spear
Doom He is fine, keep him close to the DA for added protection and get him RoWarding for enemy psychers.

Elite:

Harlequin x6 - 180 pts
Shadowseer
Harlequin's Kiss x6 Your mathis off, (162) 6 harlies with a Shadowseer and 6 kisses (the Shadowseer is an upgrade not a 7th figure). shove them in the Serpent, move them into position, on the next turn dis-embark, move, fleet, and assault like a mad man, withdraw appropriately in his turn or behind safety.

Fire Dragons x6 - 96pts Try this (113) 6 FD's: including Exarch with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot.... still wastes vehicles and also has serious uses on tough infantry like terminators and/or anything trying to use cover (like dev squads, etc). Then shove them in a falcon as well so you can shoot the unit that you entend those Harlies to plow into if you have to.

Troops:

Dire Avenger x9 + Exarch - 152 pts
Bladestorm
Dual Shuriken Catapult Stop here, no serpent, just use them as a fortuned anvil that can move, fleet on turn 1 to get behind cover, and then move -shoot on turn 2 to starte softening the enemy. You can drop Bladestorm to save points if you need to, as 5 rounds of shooting will get you more than 2 rounds of Bladestorm...

Pathfinderx6 - 144 pts Solid choice and they should serve you well as you detailed already, you can get by with 5 if you need the points.

Fast Attack:

Vyper - 60 pts
Shuriken Cannon
Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapult Get the Scatterlaser and Shuri-cannon soyou have turn 1 shooting optioins without getting within enemy return fire range, and you can bring more good guns to bear when you need to.

Heavy Support:

Falcon - 195 pts
Dual Shuriken Cannon
Spirit Stones
Holo-Field
Vectored Engines I can show you some other varients; but this is fine (maybe trim the Shuri-can upgrade to save some points if you need to. Then get a second one and let teh good times roll

My suggestions give you serious turn 1-2 anti-tank options. Plus the extra Str=6 and Str=8 shooting if needed. It a littlemore diverse and I think you can squeeze it into 1K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First off, thank you very much for the thorough advice. Sorry about the misnumber on the Harlequins, just misread Army Builder.

Going with your overall suggestions...

Farseer - Spear, Doom, Runes of Warding - 98

Harlequin x6 - Shadowseer, Kiss x6 - 158
Fire Dragon x6 - Exarch, Flamethrower, Crack Shot - 113

Dire Avenger x10 - Exarch, Dual Catapult - 137
Pathfinder x5 - 120

Vyper - Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon - 70

Falcon - Not sure about these guys. You mentioned different variants, what did you have in mind? I'm assuming I'll be taking two of them, one for the Harlequins and one for the Fire Dragons. Or I could take a Wave Serpent instead of a second Falcon and up the numbers in the Harle squad.

Right now, with no Heavy support taken yet, I'm sitting at 696 points, unless I'm overlooking something again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Farseer - Spear, Doom, Runes of Warding - 98 (93)

Harlequin x6 - Shadowseer, Kiss x6 - 158 (162)
Fire Dragon x6 - Exarch, Flamethrower, Crack Shot - 113

Dire Avenger x10 - Exarch, Dual Catapult - 137 Add Bladestorm just in case.
Pathfinder x5 - 120

Vyper - Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon - 70

Now add your:
(185) Falcon: pulse, shuri-can, cat, ve, hf, and ss

and you still have 105 points to spare. Perfect for plenty of other units...

CaHG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts