Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tuesday i will hopefully be in a two on two game with tau as my ally and gk an necrons as my enemy

my army will be
2 chaos lords equiped with
mark of nurgle
aura of dark glory
combiplasma
powerfist

2 five man plaguemarine units with
2 plasmaguns

my allies will be

command squad with colonal straken

an infantry platoon with meltabombs in all three squads

two hydra flak tanks in a squad

the 1k points limit is not something im used to this will be my second ever game with this low limit an first ever with an ally detatchment but every squad has tank busting ability and straken has plasma as well as the marines so it should be fine

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Two Questions.

1- Are you forced to take Alies?
2- Why the hydra?

Also not sure the Power-Fists on the lords are a great plan, going last in CC is a big draw back

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i usually take lightning claws on them as well and im taking the guard for fun and variety since i usually take 20 man cults with my lords and the hydras are better than my predators at this low point level and the necron player just got some flyers and also i dont have any weapon teams personally so its easier to just use my chaos tanks as traitor guard tanks in this instance. but as for the powerfist only lords im not worried since my plague champs can take challenges and they are mostly equiped this way because my greyknite opponent is in looooooove with his landraider and has taken it in every game weve ever played i know these are low unit sizes and its the only thing that makes me leery of this list but my eight man units of plaguemarines in the last game didnt take a dent hardly so ill see about them but they are the only thing im honestly worried about

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i dont end up using guard then my list will be
chaos lord joining cult
mark of nurgle
sigil of corruption
blight grenades
powerfist
lightning claw

Daemon prince of nurgle
wings
mastery level 2

35cultists

3 five man plaguemarine units
2 plasmaguns in each

but i dont know what my partner will field and im not familiar with the new tau codex but in this list i wouldnt have to worry about gauss taking down my tanks easily but i would have to worry about my prince being taken out easily by force weapons so its just a tradeoff but i will keep the prince around the necrons until theyre all gone or it is

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
i usually take lightning claws on them as well and im taking the guard for fun and variety since i usually take 20 man cults with my lords and the hydras are better than my predators at this low point level and the necron player just got some flyers and also i dont have any weapon teams personally so its easier to just use my chaos tanks as traitor guard tanks in this instance. but as for the powerfist only lords im not worried since my plague champs can take challenges and they are mostly equiped this way because my greyknite opponent is in looooooove with his landraider and has taken it in every game weve ever played i know these are low unit sizes and its the only thing that makes me leery of this list but my eight man units of plaguemarines in the last game didnt take a dent hardly so ill see about them but they are the only thing im honestly worried about
Ok, I understand the use of guard. They are much better once you pass the 20+ man line. If you are going to use guard have a look at RENEGADES AND HERETICS THE DEFENDERS OF VRAKS list from Forgeworld, their is a FAQ floating around that lists them as Battle Brothers for CSM. So this list allows for more flexibility. You do lose a Hydra though.

If you have a Landraider problems not sure Power fists are the way to go, Meltas work allot better if you are short on Meltas check out this tutorial . I would also look if I could drop one of the combiplasma on the lord for the burning brand. The AP 3 flamer works well against GreyKights as well as Necron.

Also, food for thought is that if your lord is in a challenge, he will stand a much better chance of winning it than the AC, which means he can take out things that will hurt the Plaguemarines leaving them with the task of being hard to kill with normal CC weapons. (Thats also the logic that says if you 'Need' Power Fists putting on them on the Plauge Marine AC's could be a better move)

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
if i dont end up using guard then my list will be
chaos lord joining cult
mark of nurgle
sigil of corruption
blight grenades
powerfist
lightning claw

SO, the MON on a lord in a squad of cultists can be a problem as the units T is 3 not 5, so their will be times when the weaker cultists mean that the wounds get taken more on the Lord. But even so I like the addition of Blight Grenades and the fist claws.

Daemon prince of nurgle
wings
mastery level 2

Not sold on him, at 1000 points you have better options to spend the points on

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not 100% either on the prince but I have 6 daemon princes and I dont use them nearly enough I will have to make an effort on using them in the future though but they go down easy against nids an knites so ill have to be careful when to field them...

the list ive decided on tomorrow is this one

Chaos Lord
Mark of Nurgle
Sigil of Corruption
Burning Brand
Power Maul
(that way if he gets mindshackled it wont wipe my havocs)
hes joining my havoc squad to give them fearless

2 10man plaguemarine squads
2 plasma guns
plasma pistol
meltabombs

10man havoc squad
Mark of Nurgle
4 missile launchers
flak missiles

this way ill have one shooty squad in the middle of the board and two advancing squads
i dont expect to lose any units unless they vapor lock on my havoc squad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts