Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Me and some friends have started new 40k armies, and I’ve gone with chaos space marines. I’ll be facing two swarm-ish armies, tyranids and speed-freak-y orcs. I’ve drafted a 1000 point list, and I’d love to get some input on it, and ideas on how to improve it.

HQ:

Chaos Sorcerer
Mark of Slaanesh
Lash of Submission
Wings

Troops:
10 Chaos space marines
Aspiring Champion upgrade w/ power fist
2 Melta guns
Rhino w/ Havoc launcher- 250

10 Chaos space marines
Aspiring Champion upgrade w/ power weapon
2 Melta guns
Rhino w/ Havoc launcher- 250

Heavy Support:

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Havoc Launcher- 115

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Havoc Launcher- 115

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Havoc Launcher- 115

I’m a bit iffy on the three predators, but they give a pretty decent rate of fire against large infantry units, and the autocannons give a decent chance of penetration against light vehicles, so I’m not sure. I’d consider it fairly important to keep mobile, since my relatively low body count could cause me to get overwhelmed. I'm consdiering dropping two of the predators for another squad of marines with a rhino, or for a squad of berzerkers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Em..first of all, one your CSM squad has a power fist, the other a power weapon, but the costs are the same..
Like, the power weapon was 15 pts and the fist - 25 pts..
And maybe, if you are facing horde armies consider not meltaguns, but flamers.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Flamers are definitly a good take for tyranids and orcs I'm sure. I haven't really played orcs but I think they have bad saves, so flamers are very good. You probably won't need a power fist either. The tanks should be able to handle the tough stuff pretty easy and one power weapon on marines in usually enough to do some damage, chaos or otherwise.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I'd leave the meltaguns where they are. You may not need anti-armor in quite the same way as you would when you fight most other armies, but meltaguns are good at everything, despite what people say. They're safer than plasma, have better range than a flamer, and still kill most stuff on 2's.

As for the predators. I'd make at LEAST one of them have a twin lascannon in the turret. Two would be better. I'd drop the havoc launchers to fit the points in, particularly on the Rhinos. Rhinos really aren't there to do any fighting themselves-- they're there to carry your Chaos Space Marines into the fight and nothing more. If they get to shoot their combi-bolters, that's great, but at that point, the squad inside is probably stuck in and the transport has really filled its role to begin with. If you're going to spend more points on Rhinos, I'd give them extra armour.

The sorcerer shouldn't be hopping around by himself. I'd lose the wings, make one of the Chaos Space Marine squads 9-strong, and let him tag along with them. He'll get shot, even by armies like Orks and Tyranids which aren't known for their shooting, if you have him flapping around on his own.

Be sure to issue Icons of Chaos Glory (read: Chaos Undivided. Who came up with Chaos Glory, and why couldn't they just call it Undivided like normal people?) to your two squads, as well. It's inexpensive and definitely worth it. If you think you'll be fighting Tyranids more often than Orks, Icons of Slaanesh might be in order, alternatively, particularly since your Sorcerer bears the Dark Prince's mark. Orks always are going to go after your Marines, but most gaunts can be beefed up to Initiative 5, so getting your licks in, even if it's at the same time, is worthwhile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The list, with some changes:

HQ:

Chaos Sorcerer
Mark of Slaanesh
Lash of Submission- 125

Troops:
10 Chaos space marines
2 Melta guns
Rhino
Icon of Chaos Glory- 245

9 Chaos space marines
Melta gun
Rhino
Icon of Slaanesh- 230

Heavy Support:

Predator
Heavy bolter sponsons
Twin-linked Lascannon- 135

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Havoc Launcher- 115

2x Obliterator- 150

I'm still not sure on the melta guns, as while flamers would help with the rank-and-file, I'd be worried about the squads ability to deal with transports/MCs. I'm also wondering about a dropping an oblit to get one all-lascannon predator, and switch the meltas for plasmas.

So thanks for the all the help so far, and any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Now that you've beefed up your anti-tank/MC power, dropping the melta out of your 9-man squad in favor of a flamer (to handle hordes) or a plasma gun (more effective against MCs or Meganobz generally than a melta) would be a pretty good idea. Same could be said for the 2 meltas in the 10-man squad, but that's more of a personal choice. 2 meltas at an MC rather than bolters at all his little buddies may actually be worth it.

Otherwise very solid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts