Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my games I've always noticed that everyones army have an area of off-balance, something you can exploit for a solid victory, or these players lack the ability to achieve certain victory types without completely annihilating their opponent which isn't always neccessary.

In my young chaos army I've tried to come up with a 1000pt. army that can deal with as many obstacles as possible for the point limit, I'm just looking for a little feedback of ways i can improve this army or things i've overlooked. or some tactics for this army list...

Hq - terminator sorcerer lord with doombolt to soften up closing enemies with high Sv's.
Heavy - Havocs w\4 lascannons for picking off tanks and vehicles while covering lanes of fire to prevent the enemy from moving around, or to cover a "capture objective".
Troops - 10 CSM's w\plasma pistols in rhino (extra armor) to quickly engage anyone advancing on my Havocs with support from my Lord.
- 12+ CSM's h\bolt and champ to surpress and thin out swarm squads with low Sv's, and to take and hold objectives
Fast - 5+ Raptors w\meltas (not deepstriked) to outflank an opponent and eliminate tanks while the lascannons draw attention, also weed out heavy weapon squads shooting at me, and assault targets that I've pinned down w\ lascannons or bolters.

I'm looking for anything I've missed or ideas on what i can change to improve this list, or other tactics for this list?

·
Registered
598 Posts
hmm, well, my brother has a large chaos army so here are my tips:

take something which can handle the big monsters. your hq can soften them up but i might no be very capable in combat. i think you havocs should have some heavy bolters, because preparing your army just for tank armies is dangerous. by having bolters, you can handle to armies which have lower armor but more numbers, like tyranids, eldar or in some cases, tau.

i personally like the idea of heavy hitting raptors, but how much points are they?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think you should try to add in some heavy hitters to take out the combat oreintated troops

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I'd have the havocs armed with missile launchers at 1000 points. You don't need the stopping power of lascannons, and a frag missile is good enough against things like gaunts, which is what you'd want the heavy bolter for anyway.

Your lord... should be a lord, not a sorcerer. Sorcerers are kind of soft, even with their extra wound in the new codex. You're better off with a regular Lord, I think. Go ahead and give him a daemon weapon-- yeah, you'll probably take a wound from it, but he's going to make up half his victory points in kills most likely, so it's okay.

I'd drop the meltas from the raptors and use them as a tie-down unit while the Rhino-mounted squad and the foot-slogging 12-man unit get into position to assault. You don't need the meltas in 1000 points, particularly if you've got the havocs. I would consider putting a melta in each Chaos Space Marine squad for good measure, however, in place of a plasma pistol. The model is still double-armed, since you're not trading the bolt pistol and close combat weapon for the meltagun, but the bolter-- you're not losing an attack, but for the same points, you have a better, safer weapon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the help!

I'll try out your suggestions as well as my own and post the results.

to answer some thoughts, though, the Raptors are 175pts, the sorcerer is only for doombolt to hit genestealers, assaults SMs, Striking Scorpions, and the like before they barrel through my havocs. I try to avoid assaults where i'm not prepared for it, although the missile launchers could allow for more havocs with just bolters or even clear enough points for Abbodon the Despoiler which i waiting to incorporate into a 1500pt. army which could handle somewhere close to a full squad of assault-type troops.

I do, however, like the versatility of missile-launchers.

I do think it's just a good idea to have the melta raptors, though, in case of a Basilisk, Broadside, Whirlwind, or Grav-Tank.

I think if i did a combination of meltas in my CSM squads and missile launchers and maybe heavy bolters with my havocs, this would be, altogether, pretty killer. (Meltas are only 10pts., so they're cheaper by 5 than plasmas and no danger included, the draw back, though, is the range and single shot only.

Thanx again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts