Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had the doubles tournament on Sunday and by logistics I ended up using the list as follows...
All performance evaluation as of the first game because the 2nd was an Elysian list which entailed my bolters firing at the hair and cheering every turn or so as we brought one down... 3rd game was everything I hate about 40k, as in 4 forge world rip tides, and some kind of 30k artillery gun list, either way I was tabled turn 2 with out a single movement :cray:

HQ
Sanguinary Priest- Valour's Edge, Bolt pistol, Angel's Wing, Melta bombs
Did well for himself, added that tanky the +1 WS helped

Troops
10man Tactical Squad- Melta gun, Multimelta - Rhino
I really liked, held down the objectives and distracted some enemies
5man Tactical Squad- missile launcher (Flakk missiles)
Held an objective and threw some missiles down range, exactly what I thought would happen

Elites
10man Sanguinary Guard- 2x Axes, 8x Swords, Chapter banner
Brutal... Ripped through everything within reach, which with jump packs was a long ways
10man Death Company- 10x Jump packs
I threw them at a necron immortals squad and they well... Bounced off, I'm thinking some AP2/3 might be in order

Total- 996
Problems I see? Forward units have minimal anti tank, and have to rely on the tactical squads support really, perhaps squeezing some P.Fists on the sanguinary guard or death company would be beneficial

So what do you guys think? How could this be improved for future appearances?
I'm liking the angels wing, highlight of the 3rd game was dropping my sanguinary guard between all 4 rip tides and evilly grinning back as he evilly grinned at me :)
Interceptor :scare: nope!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
perhaps squeezing some P.Fists on the sanguinary guard or death company would be beneficial
I don't play either unit without at least one Fist, two at 10 man squads. Now maybe you're seeing why I keep saying it? :grin:

Getting the points is another matter entirely with this list. The only real place to look is in slimming down your Troops or knocking a 10 man CC squad down a model or two. Maybe some 5 man Tacs in Rhinos with Heavy Weapons shooting out the top or Scout squads?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never doubted the fists, I'd need to build some more models though (not impossible) to facilitate the sanguinary guards ones :(
I'm just not sure where 35 or whatever points would come from to incorporate those fists.
Perhaps dropping the jump packs on the death company and sticking them in the rhino? That would save 30 points, dropping the Angels wing to a regular jump pack and dropping the melta bombs, that saves 45 points
So x2 P.Fists on the sanguinary gaurd and 1 on the death company?

I'm thinking of another list I could use, incorporating more tactical squads that I just got :), just to note

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
DC in a Rhino is a waste of a CC unit. They can't charge the turn they disembark or the turn after the Rhino gets Wrecked/Explodes, really I don't see a point in doing this. You can move them up 24" on T1 and they can disembark and stand there T2 for a T3 charge or you can put them in a Drop Pod for a T2 assault minus the shelter of your metul bawx. Still though, I like them the most with Jump Packs. Since you seem like you're playing 10 DC and 10 SG or you're not playing BA, I maintain my suggestion of pulling the points from your Troops by slimming them down. Since you are thinking of another list that focuses more on Tactical marines, why not let this one be the DC/SG list? Since it's for doubles games, you can always get more scoring units out of your partner's list. I mean, it's not like you're playing with a CAD over the BSFD so Troops don't have ObSec anyway.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blood Angels have always been an assault army for me, I got thrown way off when my precious assault drops ceased :(
Fair point on the tactical slimming
So drop the 10man tactical down to 5 with a missile launcher (exactly like the second squad) that'd save 110, so x2 fists on the S.Guard and x2 swords and x2 fists on the D.company to a total of 100
Then swapping melta bombs on the S.priest for veritable vitae?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
BA are still a very assault-y army, they just go about it differently these days. I played a 1500 point game a couple days ago where I dropped two Fragiosos, 10 DC, and a Priest w. 5 SG at my enemy and almost didn't even need my 20 Tactical marines in Rhinos to take the game...though they were still crucial for the win. Lots of CC in that game.

For the last 10 points I would make the MLs into LCs for the Tacs. Long range support to pop transports so your CC units can do some stuff.

To be quite honest though, playing at 1000 points and using the Elites choices you have is crippling the rest of your list. ~800 points (with the new kit) on two units is pretty wild at this level even with a partner. It can work for you, but 200 points on two Troops for marines is slim. Two 5 man Tactical squads or two squads of Scouts, either way it's pretty paper thin in my eyes without knowing what your partner is taking to assist with the weaknesses of this list. I take it you're not allowed to play Unbound?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh this is the list I used at the tournament, sorry if I forgot to mention it
My buddy was using space wolves with harald death wolf thunderwolf hoard :p he also brought the vindicators I like
You were allowed to play unbound which led to a few teams bringing game breaking 4 rip tides/ 2 stompas are other shit :(
The list I used performed rather well although I can't claim to have faced competive lists for the games I cared about.
I wouldn't mind stripping the D.Company and leaving the S.Guard as the only assault unit baring in mind they seem very durable and fast. That would clear a lot of points to bolster troops choices

1 - 7 of 7 Posts