Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! so im brand new to Warhammer and i recently decided to collect
Grey Knights, so this is how my army looks atm, i have no idea if it's allright or not and i would love some pointers.

HQ: (100pts)
Inquisitor Coteaz 100pts

Troops: (740pts)
Grey Knights Strike squad 130pts
1x Justicar 1x Daemon hammer 1x Force Falchion 1x Force Sword
1x Psycannon
Grey Knights Strike Squad 150pts
1x Justicar 1x Daemon Hammer 1x Force falchion 2xForce sword 1x Psycannon

Grey knight Terminator Squad 220pts
1x Daemon Hammer 3 Force Falchions 3x storm bolters 1x incinirator
1x Justicar

Grey knight Terminator Squad
240pts
BrotherHood Banner 1x Daemon Hammer 2x Force Falchion 3x Storm bolter
1x Incinirator 1x Justicar

Heavy Support: (160pts)
Nemesis Dreadknight 160pts
1xHeavy Incinirator

That's about it, so this is my ever first army any tips are highly appriciated, in my first game im playing my friend who's also a beginner and is playing an Imperial Guard army.

·
Registered
423 Posts
First off, Welcome to Grey Knights and to the Heresy Forums!

On to the list:

HQ:
Excellent choice of HQ; Coteaz is easily the most cost efficient HQ choice we have, and certainly one of the most efficient. I highly recommend the Divination school of psychic powers for him (At the very least, roll one of your two power choices on that table, and select the Primaris Power. The rerolls are invaluable).

I would recommend though, that if you take Coteaz, you should take at least two Inquisitorial Henchmen squads to take advantage of Coteaz's making them Troops Choices. They can be tailored to fit a number of shooting roles, whether it is Anti-tank or Anti-infantry, and are effective for their points costs, especially when given Prescienced-rerolls to Hit. Acolytes with bolters, storm bolters, or plasma guns make for good ranged support, as do Servitors with Heavy Bolters. If you do take Henchmen, make sure they have a transport to sit in... cause these dudes are fragile as all-get-out. Chimeras are probably the most effective transport options for them: carries 12, armor 12 on the front, and 5 fire points, all for a decent points cost.

Troops:
The Strike Squads: Lose the Flachions for both, Strike squads arent effective in combat, so the points could be used elsewhere. Excellent Choice in the Psycannons, they are easily the most effective ranged weapon option available to Grey Knight Squads. Good choice with the hammers, I usually take 1-2 per squad, but no more than that. If you have the points, I recommend taking a Razorback with a 5-man squad, as they are generally too fragile without one. You might consider taking the two squads of five and combining them: it gives you the option to either Combat Squad them if you want, or keep them as a single squad to cut down on kill points

The Terminators: much the same as the Strike Squads; I'd recommend Psycannons as the shooting weapons, and would recommend against the Flachions. Swords, Halberds, or Hammers are better options for close combat, and are cheaper. The Brotherhood Banner is nice, but is not as points effective as it could be, as you're taking it on a minimum squad; you might consider taking it out to save points for a Psycannon for that group

5 man squads of Terminators are fine, they just take careful use: Terminator armor or not, they die fairly fast when unsupported

Heavy Support:

The DreadKnight: I love the Heavy Incinerator; this thing is your best friend against Imperial Guard. Like with the Terminators, be careful when using this unit, as it will draw a crap-ton of fire if you allow your opponent to focus all his attention on it

It may not be an option at this points level, but I would recommend the Personal Teleporter for the DreadKnight, as the mobility it provides is invaluable for effective use. The only problem is that the thing is over-costed as hell, considering that other Monstrous Creatures get the ability to FLY for cheaper than this. Like I said though, the mobility it gives is nice to have.

A general tip for using this list: When using a bunch of small, elite units like this, it is usually best to keep them relatively close together to allow them to focus their fire and thus be more effective. Alone, they are easy to pick apart one at a time

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck in your games!

Oh, and despite all the advice I gave you, the thing that will make the most difference to your effective use of a list is growing comfortable with your army through practice
:training:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response! really appriciate it! so i replaced the lot of the falchions with swords instead, and added a Personal teleporter on the dreadknight, im also thinking about removing one of the strike squads and replacing it with an Callidus Assassin, would this be a wise choice?

Once again thanks for the help!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! really appriciate it! so i replaced the lot of the falchions with swords instead, and added a Personal teleporter on the dreadknight, im also thinking about removing one of the strike squads and replacing it with an Callidus Assassin, would this be a wise choice?

Once again thanks for the help!

No Problem :)

At this points level, I would advise against the Callidus Assassin, and instead put the 110 or so points towards another troops choice.

(1) Inquisitorial Squad with Chimera, (3) Heavy Bolter Servitors, (2) Psykers, and an Acolyte w/ bolter is 110 points on the nose, and makes for some cost-effective back-field anti-infantry, especially when buffed with Prescience Re-rolls from Coteaz. If you still have points left over after that, then just add some more useful elements as you see fit, possibly some more psykers, or a Jokaero for anti-tank and possible useful buffs on the squad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts