-4x bolters
-Heavy bolter with Hellfire rounds

Fast Attack
Assault Marines - 105 pts
-2x melta guns

Assault Marines - 105 pts
-2x melta guns

Total: 1002 pts

Priest with sang guard. Sniper scouts hold backfield objective, bolter scouts a little farther upfield. Not sure if the free drop pod for the ASM is worth it with only two? Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
A little twist on the same idea, incorporating three Drop Pods and smaller DC/SG squads.

Priest - Pistol, Valour's Edge, Jump Pack

5x Sanguinary Guard - Banner, Fist, Swords or Axes as you please

6x Death Company - Power Fist, Jump Packs

5x man Scout squad - Cloaks, Snipers

5x man Scout squad - Bolters, Heavy Bolter w. Hellfire

5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas, Drop Pod w. Missile Launcher

5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas, Drop Pod w. Missile Launcher

5x man Assault squad - 2x Hand Flamers on sergeant, 2x Flamers, Drop Pod w. Missile Launcher

997 total.

You lose some power in your Elites but you gain interference troops that distract, harass, and generally have to be dealt with in some way which takes attention away from your tougher units. There's still no answer to anything flying, but you have a lot of templates to deal with infantry and a bunch of Melta and fast moving Power Fists for armour. I wouldn't expect it to be overly competitive, but played well I'd wager it will yield good results. What do you think?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry its been forever. Been lookin through the dex and shoppin on Ebay lol. Came up with a slight variation on your list.

10x Sanguinary Guard - Banner, 2x Fist, Swords or Axes as you please

5x man Tactical squad - ML

5x man Tactical squad - Multimelta

5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas Drop Pod

5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas Drop Pod

5x man Assault squad - 2x Hand Flamers on sergeant, 2x Flamers, Drop Pod w. Missile Launcher

995 pts

basically dropped the dc to up the sang guard squad and make the scouts tacticals.

Any thoughts on vanguard Vets? Ive been thinking of like a 7 man unit with 3-5 storm shields, a powerfist, and powersword jumping around with a captain in artificier with a storm shield and thunderhammer. kinda pricey but fairly survivable and scary right? Ive still got a good size DC unit ill be making up as well, and maybe a furioso. Oh and some tacticals for seasoning but no more heavy weapons and just a pg or two.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Sorry its been forever.
No worries, seems like I'm always here anyway :laugh:

basically dropped the dc to up the sang guard squad and make the scouts tacticals
All good choices. I don't really like Scouts much but try to keep my suggestions close to the OP's list when doing re-writes.

Any thoughts on vanguard Vets? Ive been thinking of like a 7 man unit with 3-5 storm shields, a powerfist, and powersword jumping around with a captain in artificier with a storm shield and thunderhammer. kinda pricey but fairly survivable and scary right?
They are too expensive for me to really give the time of day to (plus lost their ability to assault out of DS making them exceptionally less cool in my eyes). You could do a similar thing with the Command squad at 5 men, three guys with 3++ saves and whatever weapons you'd like, 5+ FnP on top of it. Vanguard Vets are cool and I want them in my list, but I don't think I'd choose either option over Death Company, Sanguinary Guard, or my Furiosos for my Elites section.

If you're on the fence about going with the Furioso let me say the two that I run in (pretty much) all my lists are very rarely taken down. One of them sure, but AV13 is just so nice in CC against just about anything. Plus all the templates!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm I guess I could make the unit up, and run them as Vanguard Vets or Honor Guard. Any thoughts on normal Assault squads running jump packs with a Priest? Any sort of insight on load out for something like that?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That's good thinking! Vanguard vets can work for you, I just don't like them as a unit for their cost. The Command Squad will only be less because you can only take 5 guys...though the FnP is nice and frees up a Priest to go elsewhere.

I play my Assault squads in two ways at 10 man strong:

2x flamers, 2x hand flamers on sergeant, or
2x meltaguns, power sword or fist on sergeant (this option is often in a Drop Pod, and often cut down to 5 men with a combi-melta for a T1 armour strike)

In either instance a Priest makes them more formidable in combat and more survivable in general. When you have a bunch of guys with 3 attacks on the charge (2 for the guys with fancy weapons), at +1 S, WS, and I with FnP you're gunna have some fun.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If I'm in close enough and the enemy is tightly packed in a way that I can maximize shooting potential I always take it; this is 40k still and a shooting game she be. I always try to set up my assaults very carefully so that if I'm flaming and assaulting the placement of models allows for both to happen.

I play a lot of template weapons. It pleases me to know my enemies are on fire :crazy:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So version like 1000 coming up here haha. Basic changes were dropping missiles on the drop pods to up the scouts to tacticals.

5x Sanguinary Guard - Banner, Fist, Swords or Axes as you please

7x Death Company - Power Fist, Jump Packs

5x man Tactical squad - Missile Launcher

5x man Tactical squad - melta gun

5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas, Drop Pod

5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas, Drop Pod

5x man Assault squad - 2x Hand Flamers on sergeant, 2x Flamers, Drop Pod

1002 total.

Good? Bad? Ugly? haha no anti-flyer thats for sure, but this is mainly a fluffy and units I like kinda list. Eventually the flamer squad may be replaced by a fragioso and a unit of honor guard(3 storm shields, thunder hammer, jump packs (180pts..6 less than DC so an option to swap those) might make its way in as well.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
:laugh: I have so many lists made up in Battlescribe man...whoa!! I imagine this is compounded even more by you not having a collection of models for this army, I know when I'm trying to think of new 'Cron stuff for my army I'm -lost- at what to choose (as in I want it all but can't afford that hahahaha).

Either way you've got a solid list. Because the Tactical squads are less mobile I would be tempted to drop Lascannons in them so that you have some long ranged support...maybe something to blow that transport up so your dudes can charge the unit inside instead of a tank, or that tank that's gunna run your dudes into the ground. I know you have the meltas in pods, but 5 men with a meltagun is just asking to walk around uselessly unless you're facing another fast/DSing army. To be honest I think I liked the sniper scouts you had originally over the tacticals, but cool units always win.

Fliers are hard to gauge for me these days. I've snap-shot down a Fire Raptor with a meltagun, and I've lost entire matches because my opponent has spammed Fliers. Ultimately I don't let other people's lists intimidate me into make choices based around what I 'might' face in a 'competitive' setting. Yeah, I've got two Stormravens...but I'd rather play a 10 man Assault squad with flamers how I like for the same points and put ten more bodies on the table. If he has a flier it'll have to either leave the table or go into Hover mode eventually, and my Flier can die to one shot where 10 wounds might not disappear so fast.

Up at 2k+ I always bring at least my painted Stormraven because JESUS FUCK did that beast take me a while to get red.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i do have a stack of models. Unfortunately they are second hand off of ebay so the only heavy weapons i have are a multi melta and a missile launcher. I have more meltaguns that i know what to do with and a fair amount of flamers as well, and a lone plasma gun. Would the plasma gun be a better option for the tactical over the extra melta gun?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Nice! For some reason I thought you were just starting this collection out and was building toward the list more than owning the list.

I've played plasma guns in my tactical squads a lot, but ultimately dislike Gets Hot!...seems like my guys love dying to it. In other armies I own they go off without a hitch, I think maybe I just use up my luck in those games. Either way, in a 5 man squad out of a tank I use a long ranged weapon of choice since they're not going to be moving as much as a unit in a transport. If I'm taking a ranged heavy weapon (not the heavy flamer, which I realize is the only short-ranged one as I type) the special weapon I would choose for its backup at 10 men would be the plasma gun. With 5 man squads inside tanks, the heavy flamer or meltagun seems to me to be their best bet.

As you've seen in my battle company list I enjoy 'wasting' points on dual plasma pistol models. I have never used it myself, but I had someone hit me with a 5 man Vanguard squad all armed with dual plasma pistols and it wrecked shit. Plasma gun models deep striking can be a real harassment as well, though Guard do it a lot better DSing Scions for less points.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So for the second time today the list changes....Just won a Furioso on the cheap. So rather than try to cram it into 1000 I decided to jump it to 1250(the highest i think its ok to go and completely ignore flying things....)
HQ
96 pts Sanguinary Priest - Pistol, Valour's Edge, Jump Pack
91 pts Sanguinary Priest - Pistol, Lightening Claw, Jump Pack
Elites
200 pts 5x Sanguinary Guard - Banner, Fist, Swords or Axes as you please
186 pts 7x Death Company - Power Fist, Jump Packs
175 pts Honour Guard- 3x Storm Shields, Thunder Hammer, Jump Packs
165 pts Furioso Dreadnought - Fragcannon, Heavy Flamer, Drop pod
Troops
85 pts 5x man Tactical squad - Missile Launcher
85 pts 5x man Tactical squad - plasma gun
Fast Attack
115 pts 5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas, Drop Pod
115 pts 5x man Assault squad - Combi-Melta, 2x Meltas, Drop Pod
200 pts 10x man Assault squad - 2x Hand Flamers on sergeant, 2x Flamers
1326 pts total

Basically Drop pods turn one blow up some stuff/ template something depending on what the other guy has but probably meltas first. Priest in Sang guard, and Flamer squad. DC, Sang Guard, Flamer squad, and Honor Guard all charge up with their FNP goodness and try to wreck face. Missile launcher squad sits back on an objective and the plasma gun slowly advances taking potshots till he gets hot himself.
Now I can either shave off 75 pts...(thinking about dropping two from the flamer squad, a flamer, and 2 dc which gets me to 1241 i think) or i can bump it to 1500(basically flesh out the tactical squads with extra guys and full weapon compliments or two more 5 man squads). I like the core of this list for a few reasons 1)FNP on all the heavy hitters is pretty ballin 2) its an up in your face list 3) templates and melta for days 4) I have everything for this list (except some Drop pods..). I know there im ignoring flyers, but other than that any insight? Should I go up or down? Enough anti tank or should the jumpers be melta instead? I am going to try and see if I can go to my flgs and scrounge up some heavy weapons and non flamers/melta guns, but no guarantees.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I think that (like me) you'll likely lose a few games getting used to using an army that wants to be in combat but needs the charge to be any good at it, but once you do you'll be aces. I find that playing to the BA love of fast units really runs games that involve tactical objectives, but otherwise use the pods and rhinos in my lists to hold them down in the standard missions so that my other models are free to jump around and cause general havoc.

To get the list down I'd drop: two DC members, hammers down to fists in the command squad, maybe one of the hand flamers on the assault sergeant, and Valour's Edge down to a lightning claw. Otherwise I would drop the Command squad entirely and build up other squads in the ~100 point vacuum that leaves. That'd pull the DC up to 10 men and add another Fist nicely...off the top of my head those three models would be 94 points.

To raise the list up, I would definitely fill out the tactical squads to 10 men strong. I habitually play them at 10 with only a meltagun upgrade and they do great, at no point have I missed having heavy weapons in them. I do, however, play them in Rhinos so that they're getting to that 12" range in one piece and faster than normal. If you wanted to address your anti air issue, I would again drop the command squad to use their points for a flakk devastator squad. It's not that I don't think the CS is worth taking, but your other three Elites choices are simply better in my eyes and I wouldn't drop the ten man squad since then you have no real use for the second Priest.

The question to answer to finish your idea of what you want in the list is: how many fliers are you facing at the points levels you're planning to play at and what would you rather take to deal with them, ground troops or fliers of your own? If you're facing a bunch of AV12 fliers then a Stormraven will probably work best. If you're facing a bunch of flying monstrous creatures and AV10/11 fliers, flakk missile launchers will likely work just fine for you. Either way, you'll now have to find room for whatever you choose in your lists at those points levels. Personally I ignore fliers at 1500 even, but if I know for sure I'm facing two or three I'll be forced to drop my flamer assault squad for a Stormraven. That's based off what there is to cut from my list, whereas in your list I see the command squad as the 'odd unit out'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts