Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, brand spankin new to 40k tabletop, and rolling with my Imperial Guard. Currently playing casual 1k point games with friends, but i got 2 problems.
1. im over my point limit (about 1050pts)
2. i keep getting stomped.
Now some of the problem is that im new/terrible, but my army comp needs work. it is as follows.

HQ

Company command Squad
(Company commandar[boltgun, melta bomb],
4 veterans [1 heavy flamer, 2 lazcannon, 1 melta]

sub - 100

Eletes

Storm Troopers
(1 Storm Trooper Seargent,
9 Storm Troopers[2 meltas]

sup - 185

Troops

Platoon Command Squad

1 Platoon Commander(Commander Chenkov),
4 Guardsmen(2 laz cannon, 1 flamer)

sub - 130

1 Squad Conscripts
(50 Conscripts)

sub 200

1 Guardsmen squad
(1 Seargent, 9 guardsmen [2 laz cannon, 1 flamer][

sub - 95

heavy Weapons Squad
(3 heavy weapons teams[3 lazcannon])

sub - 90

Heavy Support
1 Leman russ(Battle Cannon, lazcannon, 2 sponsons [multi-melta],
hunter killer missile, extra armor)

any tips/advice?

·
Registered
20 Posts
well... actually, i think you NEED to change some things... not for tactics, but for CODEX... You have 1 platoon with 1 squad? the minimal is 2, and you have 1 HQ and 1 Line, normally you should have 1 HQ and 2 Lines... You should start by that, maibe using just 30 conscripts+1 squad+1veteran squad. Remove the 2 lascannons from the platoon HQ and you have the -50 points ready, try the mortars if you can... they're cheaper and with the new barrage rules, well... you can almost "snipe" with them.

I hope it helps... i'll be looking forward to hear from your army...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Company command Squad
(Company commandar[boltgun, melta bomb],
4 veterans [1 heavy flamer, 2 lazcannon, 1 melta]

sub - 100
First off you can only take one lascannon (replace two models for one lascannon squad), drop the bolt gun and melta bomb from the commander, and give the two remaining veterans sniper rifles or grenade launchers or one of each. These guys have a higher BS so use them to potshot with longer range weapons.

This is now 80 points.

Storm Troopers
(1 Storm Trooper Seargent,
9 Storm Troopers[2 meltas]

sup - 185
Never used them before so no real suggestion, but still ask yourself: Do these models usually kill enough points to be worth it or do they draw enough fire off of objective holding units?

Platoon Command Squad

1 Platoon Commander(Commander Chenkov),
4 Guardsmen(2 laz cannon, 1 flamer)

sub - 130
Drop Chenkov (conscripts and "Send in the Next Wave" aren't worth it for the points). You can only have one lascannon like I stated above but I wouldn't bring one. Bring either 4x grenade launchers, 4x sniper rifles, or mix and match and keep them just inside order range of a unit.

With 4x sniper rifles you are at 50 points

1 Squad Conscripts
(50 Conscripts)

sub 200
200 points for WS 2 and BS 2 isn't that good. Just make these guys 4 infantry squads with a grenade launcher or flamer in each squad (you can group some together for some 20 or 30 man squads) and a special weapons squad with 3x flamers.

total 270 points (this extra 70 points is made up other places).

1 Guardsmen squad
(1 Seargent, 9 guardsmen [2 laz cannon, 1 flamer]

sub - 95
Drop the (ONE!) lascannon and give them an autocannon. no problem with the flamer.

65 points.

heavy Weapons Squad
(3 heavy weapons teams[3 lazcannon])

sub - 90
Bring one lascannon and two autocannons.

85 points

Heavy Support
1 Leman russ(Battle Cannon, lazcannon, 2 sponsons [multi-melta],
hunter killer missile, extra armor)

If you fire your battle cannon you can only fire your other weapons as snapshots. Go with the standard version and keep your Leman Russ out of the line of fire.

any tips/advice?
If you follow my suggestions your list will run you 885 points. That's enough for another lemun russ or a plantoon command squad with some more blobs of guard, or outfitting every Infantry Squad that doesn't have a heavy weapon (remember they can only have one) with an autocannon.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Reactions: Moeithus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, thats a good starting point for now. still trying to figure out the basic layout for my army.. digging through the codex at the moment looking for it. while i search, do you have any infantry suggestions?

p.s. the reason i have so many lascannons and Anti-Tank Weaponry is my friends like to build lots of tanks/monsterous creatures. is there a better way to counter those but still be viable against other units?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow that was exactly what i needed, thank you so much. yea its all a bit hard to get going, all of us just started playing and its kind of a slow prosses just out of the codex and rulebook.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you really need tank busting/monster slaying power then drop the storm troopers and throw a few more heavy weapon squads (with lascannon and 2 autocannons) and keep them close to a command squad that can give the "bring it down" order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright man, this is my revised list. what do you think so far?

HQ

Company command Squad
(Company commandar
4 veterans [1 Lazgun(2 guys) 2 sniper rifles]

sub - 80

Troops

Platoon Command Squad

1 Platoon Commander,
4 Guardsmen(4x Grenade Launcher)

sub - 50

6 Infantry Squads
3x (8 guards, 1 sgt, 1 grenade launcher)
3x (8 guards, 1 sgt, 1 flamer)
Special Weapons Squad (3x Flamer)

sub 325

1 Guardsmen squad
(1 Seargent, 9 guardsmen [1 Autocannon, 1 flamer][

sub - 65

heavy Weapons Squad x2
(3 heavy weapons teams[1 Lazcannon, 2 Autocannons])

sub - 170

Heavy Support
2 Leman russ

total - 995

·
Registered
10 Posts
6 Infantry Squads
3x (8 guards, 1 sgt, 1 grenade launcher)
3x (8 guards, 1 sgt, 1 flamer)
Special Weapons Squad (3x Flamer)

sub 325

1 Guardsmen squad
(1 Seargent, 9 guardsmen [1 Autocannon, 1 flamer][

sub - 65
First off the guardsman squad is an infantry squad. Second, for each infantry platoon (one troop section in force org chart) you have to have between 2-5 infantry squads.
My suggestion is to take another platoon command squad w/ grenade launchers then throw two infantry squads into it and the heavy weapons for a break down of...

Platoon 1 (Tank Busters/Monster Hunters)

Platoon Command Squad with 4x Grenade Launcher (50 points)

Infantry Squad with grenade launcher, autocannon (65 points)

Heavy Weapon Squad with lascannon, 2x autocannons (85 points)
Heavy Weapon Squad with lascannon, 2x autocannons (85 points)

Platoon 2 (General troops to do whatever with)

Platoon Command Squad with 4x Grenade Launcher (50 points)

Infantry Squad with grenade launcher, lascannon (75 points)
Infantry Squad with flamer (55 points)
Infantry Squad with flamer (55 points)

Special Weapon Squad with 3x flamers (50 points)

Total 765 points

Also drop your second leman russ.

with your leman russ (150 points) and your company command squad (80 points) you will be at a total of 995 points and completely codex legal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man, you have given me more help than the week ive been poking around on the net and the codex.. i really appriciate it. One last question, if i may. for my infantry squads with the lascannons, only one guardsman opperates it, correct? or are two guardsman operating the lascannon, leaving only 8 lasgunners?

·
Registered
10 Posts
For all heavy weapon teams (those in infantry, command, and heavy weapon squads) I believe that one operates while one has a lasgun, leaving you with one less lasgun. Also remember heavy weapon teams get a close combat weapon giving them 2 attacks and that the commander of each squad has a laspistol and close combat weapon giving him 2 attacks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
well about the conscripts and " Send in the next wave", they're a "must have" in my army, and every game they pay themselves, but is also true that i have 100 more troops...so i suppose is just a matter of tactics, but when you think about it, 30 o 50 lasguns in rapid fire... well, those 6's will come one way or another...

About the list, i think i would not use the special weapons, instead, buy an energy weapon, an axe, for your srgts. Why an axe? Ap2... If your opponen uses a lot of monstrous creatures or hard units, well, it will probably hit you on close combat, and then you will be glad of having these on the second or third line in the combat.

Or, if you need the flamers, drop a few Grenade launchers and get another HQ command platoon instead the spec. weapons platoon, you get a heavy flamer, more orders like "bring it down" (twin linked heavy weapons?), etc...

About the troops, i advise to have them on blobs of at least 20 troops. never in groups of 10, it gives you some resistance when the big ones assault your lines, you can support more casualties before checking morale. I use as many blobs as command platoons I have, so, with your list, i would use 2 blobs (20 and 50) and that leaves a command platoon for the heavy weapons. Using just 2 "units" has good tings and bad things, you are limited on the objectives you can secure, the targets you can select, but in my infantry army, well, they do the job of holding the line while the other "smaller" units secure the other objectives. (remember almost everything in an IG infantry army is a troop's choice and can secure an objective)

·
Registered
179 Posts
First up rule clarification - Heavy weapon teams can only shoot one weapon per turn, with the heavy weapon or the lasgun

Next put Marbo in, every ranged weapon he has is ap2, he turns up where you want and is a fire power magnet. I would also recommend swapping the russ turret for an exterminator turret, heavy 4 twin-linked autocannon is good against most things and means you fire everything else on full BS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea ive been considering making my guys blobs, the guys i play against never even bother bringing shooters, just charge me asap.

and where would marbo go? is he attached to a particular squad or is he an independent character?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Marbo works independently to everything else, he cannot join any other unit and cannot be joined by independent characters

1 - 15 of 15 Posts