Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking to pick up this "Hobby" and been leafing through my friends' codexes trying to pick out an army. I've considered an Iyanden Eldar list and an Iron Hands SM list, but I keep coming back to CSM and Fabius Bile. I posted a prototype 1000pt list yesterday and got some good feedback, and spent the rest of night considering expansions to that list.

The base 1000pt list is as follows:

Fabius Bile + 3 Spawn: 280

10xEnhanced CSM, MoS, Champion+Powerfist, Melta, Rhino: 285

2xObliterators: 150

The 1500pt Expansion drops the all the Spawn, gives both Rhinos DP
and adds

TermiSorcerer, MoS, LoS, GoC, Familiar: 175

3x TermiChampions, MoS, 3x Lightning Claw Pairs: 165

Landraider, DP: 240 (The Sorcerer, Champions, and Fabius are all inside)

The 2,000pt expansion adds the following to the 1500pt

5xTerminators, Reaper: 175

So... my concerns are as follows

1) At the 1000pt, are the Spawn enough of a meatshield to get Fabius up the field? Are the Meltas and PF a good addition to the Enhanced CSM?

2) At the 1500pt, DP on a Rhinos is usually unnecessary, but they are shielding an expensive LR, I don't know what else to spend the points on. Also, is the LoS too cheesy? I thought it would be fun to force a squad into assault range, and have the TermiChampions get 5 rerollable to wound PW attacks each. That doesn't even count Fabius or the Sorcerer, who can Spawnify enemy models on the next turn. But that's also a lot of eggs in one basket.

3) Trying to DS it up, I didn't want to just Termicide. If you remove the Reapers, you can give each model a Combi, but that really reduces subsequent damage.

So yeah I'm a nub, but I really appreciate any insight into this mess :biggrin:

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
For the thousand points list, drop the spawn and srop one of the sqauds down to 9! Fabius rides with them! EA on all rhinos! Extra melta gun on the squad without fabius! Stick in another oblit with the remaining points!
With the upgraded lsits after that you've gone way heavy on the termie front! Also you shoukld really aim to have a troop choice per 500 points! As you've got fabius I would take full advantage and take more enhanced marines in your expansions! I would leave the LR till 2000 points, maybe for the 1500 point mark a squad of zerkers (8 with PF rhino EA) 258, spend the rest on termies (DS) and put icons on your squads (usually I wouldn't bother with termies but if you like the models you gotta field them I have the same porb with dreads!) When you get to 2000 points a LR and another squad of enhanced marines!
Just a few ideas!
PF is an excellent idea for enhanced marines s10 awesome! Meltas are also a good choice! Maybe throw some flamers into one of the squads!
It's good to have a look around and check out peoples ideas, esp when you first start out! But you have to bear in mind what is your play style ( I know you say your a noob and you prob don't know yet) depending on wether you're in your face assault or stand back *cough* nancy *cough* and shoot! Good luck with your fledgling war band!

·
Registered
594 Posts
-Spawn? Drop them and give your Rhinos EA and add a 2nd melta to one squad. Drop 1 CSM from the other squad to make room for Fabius in a rhino.

-Split Oblits into separate squads (Prevents wasting shots on overkill, and getting overkilled yourself), and possibly adding a 3rd. You should be close on points, and if its a choice between 1 CSM with a melta or an Oblit, take the Oblit.

-Don't have my Codex on me, but MAYBE, and only if you have points left after adding the oblit, add combi-flamers to the Champions. That 1-off flamer shot can be surprisingly useful against hordes in low point games. Remember, this is your last-ditch point sink. Don't waste important points here.

-You don't really have the firepower to justify a Lash Sorc. Lashes are best used when you have a metric fuckton of blast/flame templates on the field. Replace with a shooty power. Alternatively, drop him entirely and add more Oblits.

-Don't put DP on a Rhino. They don't have the firepower to need it, and will die horribly anyway. Stick with EA to keep them mobile.

-You need more Troop choices. Drop enough termies to add at least another 10-man squad, preferably two.
-MOAR OBLITS! Or at least more splodey guns.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
So I've been looking to pick up this "Hobby" and been leafing through my friends' codexes trying to pick out an army. I've considered an Iyanden Eldar list and an Iron Hands SM list, but I keep coming back to CSM and Fabius Bile. I posted a prototype 1000pt list yesterday and got some good feedback, and spent the rest of night considering expansions to that list.
Welcome to Chaos! Glad to have a new heretic around. I have enjoyed Bile and his enhancement and I'm sure you will as well.

The base 1000pt list is as follows:

Fabius Bile + 3 Spawn: 280

This is a solid list. As most have recommended, drop the Spawn and one CSM in favor of Bile being able to ride in a a rhino and use the extra points to get EA and second Meltas in each squad.

The 1500pt Expansion drops the all the Spawn, gives both Rhinos DP
and adds

TermiSorcerer, MoS, LoS, GoC, Familiar: 175
Frankly, this guy is too expensive for what he does. You'd be better off getting a DP. Lash is fine since you have bunches of S5 models, but in order to make it work well you need to add more S5 models.

3x TermiChampions, MoS, 3x Lightning Claw Pairs: 165

Landraider, DP: 240 (The Sorcerer, Champions, and Fabius are all inside)
Drop the LR, make the Termies a Termicide squad (3x Termies with 1x HF, 2x Combi-Melta, 1x PF, 1x CF) and add another squad of Enhanced marines.

The 2,000pt expansion adds the following to the 1500pt

Too many Termies, not enough Oblits. Not enough ranged fire-support in general.

So... my concerns are as follows

1) At the 1000pt, are the Spawn enough of a meatshield to get Fabius up the field? Are the Meltas and PF a good addition to the Enhanced CSM?
No, and yes. In that order.

2) At the 1500pt, DP on a Rhinos is usually unnecessary, but they are shielding an expensive LR, I don't know what else to spend the points on. Also, is the LoS too cheesy? I thought it would be fun to force a squad into assault range, and have the TermiChampions get 5 rerollable to wound PW attacks each. That doesn't even count Fabius or the Sorcerer, who can Spawnify enemy models on the next turn. But that's also a lot of eggs in one basket.
I agree with whomever it was that first said, "Cheese is the cry of the unprepared." That said, there is no value in make a game no fun for your opponent. Lash isn't too cheesy for this list. In fact, I think it makes a great addition. However,the way you're fielding it means it isn't as effective as it should be.

3) Trying to DS it up, I didn't want to just Termicide. If you remove the Reapers, you can give each model a Combi, but that really reduces subsequent damage.
It seems like you're trying for two different lists here. A Bile list and a Deepstrike Termie list. I recommend picking one and sticking too it. :)

So yeah I'm a nub, but I really appreciate any insight into this mess :biggrin:
My thoughts are in green. Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts