Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here we go with the second revision of the list, anymore feedback still very much appreciated. :D. (1500pnt list)

HQ
Eldrad Ulthran

Troops
Dire Avengers x10 +Exarch w/shurikan catapults.
Storm Guardian x8 w/fusion guns x2

Wave serpent w/spirit stones, shurikan cannon.

Elite
Fire Dragons x6 +Exarch w/firepike.
Howling Banshees x6 +Exarch w/executioner.

Wave serpent x2 w/shurikan cannon, spirit stones.

Heavy Support
Wraithlord w/brightlance, EML.
Fire Prism w/holofield, spirit stones.
Fire Prism w/holofield, spirit stones.

ANOTHER LIST This one is a 1000pnt List

HQ
Farseer w/doom, fortune, guide.

Troops
Storm Guardians x8 w/fusion guns.
Storm Guardians x8 w/fusion guns.

Elite
Striking Scorpions +Exarch w/biting blade and scorpions claw.

Wave serpent x2 w/spirit stones, shurikan cannon.

Fast Attack
Warp Spiders +Exarch w/spiniret rifle, suprise assault, withdraw.

Heavy Support
Fire Prism w/holofields.

I've got 50pnts left over, any idea where to put them?

·
Registered
122 Posts
First take look at the Force Organising Chart in your Codex. You need to have 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices.

Second choose and calculate your points. At what points do you want your army to be (750; 1k for double tournaments and 1,5k; 2k are most used on 1vs1 tournaments)

Eldrad is HQ not HS.
Harlequins are Elite not Troops.
Dont use Swooping Hawks.
Fire Dragons dont need exarch (yes i know hes in the box but you really dont need him)
Fire prisms are best in pairs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
At 1k Eldrad is little too pricey (210 pts is 1/5 of your army).
Farseer with Spirit stones and doom and fortune or doom and guide powers and maybe spear is 115-128 pts.

for troops take:
a) 10 Dire Avengers (Exarch; 2 Shuri Catapults; Blade storm) Wave Serpent will help them much
b) 10 Dire Avengers (Exarch; PW and Shimershield; Defend) Wave Serpent will help them much
c) 5 Dire Avengers (no upgrades) in Wave Serpent
d) 7-8 Rangers (maybe Pathfinders if you have points left)
e) 4 or 8 Guardian Jetbikes (1 or 2 shuriken cannon)
Better dont use Guardians

·
Registered
122 Posts
Alright, here is a revised list. 1500pnts roughly. Let's hear some feedback.

HQ

Eldrad Ulthran

Troops

Dire Avengers x10 +Exarch w/Shimmershield, bladestorm.
Dire Avengers x10 +Exarch w/Shimmershield, bladestorm.
This build means you will bladestorm then assault. Well its not the most popular or strong build but OK.

Wave Serpent to transport the troops.

Elite

Fire Dragons x6 +Exarch w/firepike, crack shot, and Tank Hunter.
Fire Dragons can kill any wehicle (monolith is an exception) in 5 man most of the time. More members are added only for more survivability. You really dont need exarch.
Howling Banshees x6 +Exarch w/executioner, war shout, acrobatic.

Wave Serpents x2 to transport the Fire Dragons and Howling Banshees.

Heavy Support

Wraithlord w/brightlances
Dont ever take 2 same weapons on Wraithlord. Lance + EML
Fire Prism w/shurikan cannon, holofields, vectored engines, spirit stones.
Fire Prism
Since Prism have reaaaly long range, shuri cannon is a waste. Since he will be staying home and shooting, you dont need vectored engines and spirit stones either. Spirit stones are a must on transports.
Great improvement. Write what weapons you wish on serpents.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if my avenger setup isn't that great would itbe better to have one 10 man unit of avengers and maybe a unit of storm guardians? Also, about my fire dragon unit, if I get rid of my exarch won't I lose crack shot and tank hunter? On 1 wave serpent I will have vectored engines and spirit stones and on the other 2 wave serpents will have shurikan cannons and spirit stones. I like the change u suggested for my wraithlord, I'll equip it with brightlance and EML.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Dire Avengers will work fine instead of Storm Guardians. The issue with their set-up is that the unit is primarily a shooting unit. So most people would go with a Dual Catapult set up which would net you 5 more BS 5 shots when Blade Storming and that set-up is also 10 points cheaper. Storm Guardians are fine but they are much more fragile than Dire Avengers and to be honest you still don't want them in assault very much.

Fire Dragons don't typically get too much use out of the Exarch Powers. Take Crackshot for example, it only really effects one model (as far as I remember) but even then it is not likely to be needed. The Fire Dragons will be wanting to get close with their Wave Serpent within 6" and with the kind of mobility Wave Serpents have it is not difficult to get around any cover. Also, Tank Hunters only really helps to penetrate vehicles which is something that 6 Fire Dragons should have little trouble doing (even normal ones, no Exarch). The only time I would really suggest Tank Hunters is if you come up against Monoliths fairly often, and even then I'd be wary. The Fire Pike extra range is a bit of a waste since you should be able to utilize the normal meltaguns in the squad to get the unit's full effect, and that is very possible with the mobility provided with the transport. Losing the Exarch upgrade for a normal Fire Dragon will save you 40 Points that can be spread out to make the rest of the list as effective as these guys can be.

So, 2 Serpents have Shuriken Cannons and Spirit Stones. Alright, but we may be able to bump that up with by shaving some points elsewhere. The other Serpent has Vectored Engines and Spirit Stones, but what gun is equipped on it? The same?

Some people do like Shuriken Cannons on Fire Prisms, but typically they are not too necessary thanks to the range. It is true that the Cannons help in the odd case of a Weapon Destroyed result, but you could be getting as much/ more of an effect out of a twin-linked Scatter Laser on a Wave Serpent.

Vectored Engines are really almost never worth it. They are expensive and don't come into effect very often. They only have an effect on 1/6th of the damage results possible, and then only if you went flat-out that turn. Even then you will get a 4+ cover save blocking the damage's chances from happening. If you have the transport close enough then it can be Fortuned by Eldrad before going Flat Out doubling your chances to block the damage. So a weapon has to hit you, then glance or penetrate, then you make the save(s), then the roll for damage. The best odds even a standard S 8 Missile Launcher hit has to get an immobilized result is 1/48. These are points can be be in constant use elsewhere.

All in all, a great start on a good list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts