Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, it's the new guy. The infantry horde aspect of IG really caught my eye when I looked at it (any idea where I can find Valhallan models?), so here's a starter army that I'm thinking about that's themed after a 1944 Red Army Forward Detachment (the Soviet version of the battle group).

23rd Forward Detachment, 2nd Valhallan Shock Army
1000 points

HQ:

23. Voyska (Company Command)
Kapitan Petrenko (Company Commander)
Mortar
Starshy Leytnant Reznov (Master of Ordnance)
Total: 85

Kommissar Markov (Lord Commissar)
Power Fist
Total: 85

Troops:

1. Vzvod (Infantry Platoon)
Leytnant Petrov (Platoon Command)
Autocannon
11. Otdeleny (Infantry Squad)
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
12. Otdeleny (Infantry Squad)
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
1. Artilleriskie Batareya (HW Squad)
3x Lascannon
2. Artilleriskie Batareya (HW Squad)
3x Lascannon
Total: 380

2. Vzvod (Infantry Platoon)
Leytnant Ramius (Platoon Command)
Autocannon
21. Otdeleny (Infantry Squad)
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
22. Otdeleny (Infantry Squad)
Autocannon
Grenade Launcher
23. Sturmovy Otdeleny (Conscript Squad)
Total: 250

1. Spetsnaz Komandy (Veteran Squad)
Shotgun
3x Meltagun
Total: 100

2. Spetsnaz Komandy (Veteran Squad)
Shotgun
3x Meltagun
Total: 100

Total: 1000
103 Infantry
6 Lascannons
6 Autocannons
6 Meltaguns

The plan is for conscripts, vets, and the Commissar to take whatever needs taking, while everything else sits at home and shoots. A friend of mine suggested the mortar and Master of Ordnance combination to simulate the Red Army's massive artillery barrages where the mortar would act as a spotting weapon firing smoke for more accurate bombardment. Thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks rather nasty but very slow. you mightconsider some rought riders (cossacks) for some speed and for tank hunting. one other thing is this army will increase game lenght due to pure size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm...what should I drop for Rough Riders, though? The only thing I can think of are my vets, and I'm rather reluctant to give them up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You don't need to drop anything I think this is a really nice list for what you are trying to do:) of course it's slow..thats the idea is it not? just need artillary and you will have a really sweet concept:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I meant if you increase this list to 1500pts or 2000pts. i did not mean that you should drop anything. also you might consider Chenkov who makes your conscripts return when they die.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aah, that makes more sense, thanks. Chenkov and his ability seems really expensive, plus he can't order guardsmen to shoot twice...would I be better off buying a Commissar for my infantry squads? Also, I can only join up infantry squads, not command, heavy, special, or conscript squads, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
you could try the krieg list as you are able to merge heavy weapon squads as well as the infantry. the commissar is useful especally if you want to merge a number of squads in to a blob unit but they are expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts