Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 'ello to y'all!

As mentioned above (title) I'm a beginner and therefor, my battle experience isn't that vast...

Currently I'm just playing against Vanilla SM, Deamonhunters, Necrons and possibly Tau as these are all the armies me and meh dear friends are currently fielding.

Anyway, here's the list I've come up with:

HQ
Librarian w. Jump pack - 125 pts

Troops
Assault squad I
10x Marines w. Powerfist, 2x Meltaguns - 235 pts

Assault Squad II
5x Marines w. Power weapon, Meltagun, Meltagrenades. in Razorback - 150 pts

Elites
Furioso Dreadnought w. Frag C., Bloodfist and Drop pod - 160 pts

Sang. Guard w. Powerfist, Chapter banner - 240 pts

Sang. Priest w. PW, jump pack - 90 pts

My idea is to let everyone with jump packs go together in a great blob o' death (hopefully).

Thoughts? Ideas?

Cheers! :thank_you:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well First i recommend at 1000pts either have you Assault Marines squads be mech or Jump pack, i would not run one of each. If you decide to go Razorback squads i would try to squeeze a 3rd squad in at 1000 pts. The Furioso i would drop the drop pod and make it a librarian with wings and might of heroes(this will be a fire magnet but will make sure your Assault marines will get there).

·
Registered
116 Posts
I see several issues in your list:
1) Dreadnought - it arrives by drop pod assault on turn one, while most of your army is reserved to use DoA/hidden on your table edge, right? So it gonna get shot at, and pretty heavily.
2) 2 vehicles in the army: Dread is the sole target for enemy melta (he's in range already), Razorback - the sole target for long range guns.
3) One priest for 500+ pts of flying marines is not the safest choice, I think. Blob of death is a better target for enemy Blast weapons.
4) 5 golden boys with a Chapter Banner - aren't these 25% of your army a bit of an overkill for such a format?
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! But I've got some questions...

The above listed units is everything i currently own + Commander Dante, 4 SMs of my own choice and a Predator. I would love to form a list where I don't have to buy anything else ATM.

You're statement of my golden boys as being "overkill", do you mean like, too good or too expensive point wise?

Do you suggest i drop my Dreadnought altogether, just the drop pod or change his gear? I would love to have it in my army since it's so stinking cool! (it's the Venerable set btw with the lascannon modded to a frag cannon)

Another Sang. Priest right?

And what do you suggest about only having 2 vehicles?

Cheers (and +rep to you good sirs!)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You're statement of my golden boys as being "overkill", do you mean like, too good or too expensive point wise?

Do you suggest i drop my Dreadnought altogether, just the drop pod or change his gear? I would love to have it in my army since it's so stinking cool! (it's the Venerable set btw with the lascannon modded to a frag cannon)
probably too expensive: you have almost a 4th of your list tied up in one small unit that's not in a transport or other safe place to advance in.

as for the Dread, i would change him over to have two TL AC just for good all around anti-infantry/light armor fire.

good hunting.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome!

Well, it's not a bad list Jumpy Dan. The 'biggy' that has been pointed out already is the Dread. It will come in turn one via Drop Pod Assault & die. I would swap this out for something with a jump pack. To run Dreads successfully you need to go nearly all mech, certainly provide more than just 1 AV13 target.

Have you thought about running an all jump pack force? I could certainly give you some ideas on that as I run one of my own.

Dallas

·
Registered
116 Posts
Overkill for "too expensive" - a quarter of your army for five models, as venerable Inquisitor has mentioned.

About only having two vehicles - turn flying RAS into Rhino-based squad, throw in some more mech instead of Sang Guard - and you've got some target saturation now. Maybe you'd even manage to successfully Deep Strike your Furioso afterwards - just make sure enemy's busy shooting at your tanks and there's no melta in the proximity of the Dread (and still it would be the greatest fire magnet).
But if you want to create a force from your current models - not the option, obviously.

You may try to turn your 10-man RAS + 4 SM models into 2 7-men Assault squads (or 6-men, 7-men and one priest, if you're ready for some conversion for him) - or you may call them 9-man RAS and 5-men honour guard, plus add a ac/las predator (love this build) and take away sang guard.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, thanks for all the replies!

Second, this is getting real hard! :scratchhead:

As you might have guessed by now, I'm a real sucker for things that's flashy which is exactly what both the sang. guard and furioso drednought according to me is. Much of my army is decided by what i can afford, but say I'll buy some more stuff. What would you suggest? Is it to much to ask you guys for a list of 1000 points that you think is competitive?

Maybe i should add that i have no problem whatsoever with big frikkin' war engines mowing down swathes of enemies. But transporting troops? Meh. In the case of a crazed DC I can see the point of having a DT but otherwise...?

Cheers and thanks again for all the replies! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts