Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

new to 40k, new to eldar. People around here play alot of different armies and I want to start of with a decent list based on the models I'm interested in.

Would greatly appreciate feedback on where I should spend my last points and what changes I should make

• Farseer w/ Singing Spear on a Jetbike (120 pts) Goes with the 3 windriders below
  • 3 Windrider Jetbike squad (51 pts)
  • 9 Dire Avengers + Exarch (10 models). Exarch has Diresword. Goes into a Wave Serpent w/ TL Bright Lances + Shuriken Cannon (290 pts)
  • 5 Wraithblades w/ Ghostaxe in a Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannon (and TL Shuriken Cannon) (285 pts)
  • 5 Swooping Hawks + Exarch (6 models) (106 pts)
  • Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon (135 pts)

Adds up to 987 pts so 13 pts to spare. I think the army is (legal and) fairly well rounded? What will I struggle with and what can I do about it? Should the last couple of points go to upgrade weapons on the Wraithblades Wave Serpent or defense on any of the Wave Serpents or something else? I'm open to shaving points somewhere to add something crucial that I've missed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm not sold on the waveserpent for the wraithblades. They won't be able to charge till maybe turn two if you disembark immediately or turn 3 if you move the serpent first turn.
I'd look into getting them some guns if you're set on the serpent for them. If not, I'd run the wraithblades on foot.
I'd put all the points in the bike squad to increase the size and put some guns on them.
The Farseer can be extremely useful as a force multiplier so I think he'd get targeted in short order and the 3 bikes as they are aren't a theat on their own. If I was a playing against this list , that would be the first unit I'd go for as its first blood and slay the warlord points as well as removing a potential lynchpin unit.

But these are all just suggestions - the list has the potential to do just fine. It's a lot of fast units in an objective based game :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Gret79, I thought wave serpents were a standard delivery system of wraithblades. If foot slogging, I'd prefer the wraithguard. So here is my updated list, but now I'm unsure of where to put the last 100 pts.

• Farseer w/ Singing Spear on a Jetbike (120 pts) Goes with the 6 windriders below
  • 6 Windrider Jetbike squad w/ 2 shuriken cannon (122 pts)
  • 10 Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent w/ TL Bright Lances + Shuriken Cannon (260 pts)
  • 5 Wraith guard w/ wraithcannon (160 pts)
  • 5 Swooping Hawks + Exarch (6 models) (106 pts)
  • Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon (135 pts)

This ends up at 903 points. What do I need with the last points? Some ideas:

• Holo fields for wave serpent and/or fire prism
  • Sunrifle for swooping hawk exarch
  • Warlock going with Dire avengers
  • Upgrade a dire avenger for Exarch for Diresword ... or something else
  • A vyper
  • Something more radical

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'd put a warlock with the wraithguard to get them conceal - No axes for them means no 4++
Or a Spiritseer to get re-rolls of 1's for the wraithguard and conceal. Maybe even protect if you're lucky :)

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Thanks Gret79, I thought wave serpents were a standard delivery system of wraithblades. If foot slogging, I'd prefer the wraithguard. So here is my updated list, but now I'm unsure of where to put the last 100 pts.

• Farseer w/ Singing Spear on a Jetbike (120 pts) Goes with the 6 wind riders below - I would be using the Farseer as a utility to better the jet bikes
  • 6 Windrider Jetbike squad w/ 2 shuriken cannon (122 pts) - Why Shuriken? Why not scatter lasers?
  • 10 Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent w/ TL Bright Lances + Shuriken Cannon (260 pts) - Not sure how I feel about the Brightlance, but for sure the Shuriken Cannon is not needed.
  • 5 Wraith guard w/ wraithcannon (160 pts) - Big fan of Wraithguard but without a boat they can get shot up very quick. Not to mention 6" move and only a 12" gun is very easy to avoid.
  • 5 Swooping Hawks + Exarch (6 models) (106 pts) - These guys are one of my favourite aspects! Nothing wrong with this choice!
  • Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon (135 pts) - A fire Prism never wants to be close to anything. I just don't think you will be firing that Shuriken Cannon at all.
Here is what I would do with what you have presented and the extra points:

• Farseer -100
    Warlock on Jetbike - 50
    6x Windrider Jetbikes with Scatter Lasers - 162
    10x Dire Avengers - 130
    5x Wraithguard w/ D Cannons in Wave Serpent w/ Bright Lance - 275
    5x Swooping Hawk + Exarch - 106
    Fire Prism w/ Spirit Stones and Holo-Fields - 150

- I have attached your farseer with your dire avengers because they will be able to move a little quicker up the board and use cover / psychic powers to increase their survivability.
    - I attached a warlock to the bikes because they need to be twin-linked and sitting at 36" (the squad dishes out 24 STR 6 shots!!
    - The Wraithguard are better protected with the Waveserpent and as it advances you can use the BL to hopefully take out some armour.
    - Swooping hawks will do their thing
    - The Fire Prism now has a 5+ Inv and ignores shaken on 2+ and Stunned on a 4+ so hopefully with those abilities you can keep it firing and not Jinking every turn if it starts to get focused on.
    This puts you at 973 so you could toss a spear on the farseer, add a bike, or something like that.

Hopefully this helps or at least gets the gears turning for more possibilities!
    Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Warning: If you run jetbikes with all scatter lasers you run the risk of being labelled 'that guy'
Its by far the best choice for jetbikes and is possibly the best unit in the codex but it depends on the people you play as to whether you get grief over it..
I'd be fine both running and playing against it - it really depends on the people you're going to play.
I'd sound them out and if they're happy, then go for it.
If they decide that the sky has indeed fallen with the new eldar codex then maybe only only take three scatterlasers.
There's no point making and painting a unit no one will play against.
On the other hand, if someone forces you to weaken your list then if they win it doesn't count.
They may as well decide that the only thing that isn't op is storm guardians and you have to take 1k of them :grin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey,

thanks a bunch to both of you!

I like the changes you made Chaosftw, gonna start building towards it.

Regarding the bikes, do you think they'll grief over a single unit of them? Well, I'm a noob anyway. :angel:

/Harold

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.