Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm aiming to jump into my local GW's fantasy league with some WoC that I bought ages ago and have yet to actually use. This is the list I have based on models I actually own, I have five days to buy/assemble/paint any changes you guys suggest.

Here's the current list, games are 1000 points:

Chaos Sorcerer, extra wizard level

24x Chaos Warriors, Shields, Full Command

20x Chaos Marauders, Flails

5x Chaos Warhounds

5x Chaos Warhounds

5x Chaos Knights, Full Command

That equals 985 points, leaving me 15 points to splash somewhere. That is every model I own bar a sorcerer/hero riding a manticore who I don't think will really fit.

Having never played as WoC I'm not exactly sure how the army will work, the only tactic I have in mind is using the infantry blocks to close on the enemy while the hounds and knights try to flank them. The sorcerer will either hang with the warriors or simply tag along behind making the best of whatever spells he has.

Any advice would be most welcome, I'm of the opinion the sorcerer needs something, an arcane item, mark of Tzeentch, a talisman, whatever, maybe I could drop a few marauders to beef him up. Suggestions for unit makeup and tactics would be grand.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The biggest change I'd make would be to drop a few of the warriors to get marks and toys.

Here are some of ideas to fill the 15 points if you're dead set on using all the warriors:
1)Mark of Nurgle and an enchanted shield
2)Mark of Slaanesh and Dragonhelm
3)Banner of Swiftness/Standard of Discipline on the Warrior block
4)Opal Amulet on the sorc for a 1-time 4+ ward
5)drop the champ from the knights (not really needed) and give the sorc MoN AND Opal Amulet
6)drop the knight champ and give the sorc a dispel scroll

Just some ideas. The army looks like it should be fine in 1K. Most people fear large blocks of warriors. They are a bit slow but the hounds and knights should help w/ speed issues. The marauder block seems a bit ... small. They die in droves to a fart but if they hit w/ those flails they should do some damage.

Some things to look into for the future:
1) Chaos/Gorebeast chariot(s) (it's great to see your opponent's face when you tell them the Gorebeast Chariot has T6 & 5W :eek:k: )
2) Skullcrushers
3) Marauder Horsemen
4) Warriors w/ halberds (super killy!)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply man. As I said I've owned them for a while but never played them so the advice is appreciated.

I assembled the warriors with shields because when I get started properly it's gonna be a Tzeentch theme so they'll end up with a 5+ parry save, that being said the next lot I get are definitely gonna have halberds for killy goodness.

When you say mark of nurgle/slaanesh and enchanted shield/dragon helm I'm assuming you're talking about on the sorcerer? His total lack of ward save is a worry. I know chaos magic users are much tougher than most of their counterparts but i still don't really want him in any fights, I reckon he has a big bullseye on him already. The only models I haven't assembled yet are the marauders, would you recommend flails for them? Unfortunately I only have twenty figures so I can't up their numbers just yet.

One more question, what lore do you recommend? I'm not sold on Tzeentch, I was thinking metal to buff the warriors?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd suggest the flails for the marauders. Make them a speed bump that can do some damage.

Yeah, all of the suggestions were for the sorc. They are pretty tough in a fight but elite combat troops shouldn't have an issue. Warrior stats w/ an extra wound. Even at 1000pts I usually won't put anything less than the Talisman of Endurance on a sorcerer (and I ALWAYS take a lvl 2 in a 1K list). Usually ToE w/ Enchanted Shield for the 2+/5++. Keeps him survivable. If you want MoT on the sorc then the ToE/En Sh combo gives you a 2+/4++.

I'm not really sold on the Lore of Tzeentch. The random S and the fact you can give your opponent's units Regen ... When I run a MoT sorc I use Lore of Metal. Sort of hurts against low armor armies if you can't get the buff. Really depends on who you're going to face most of the time. Empire or OK? Definitely Metal to deal w/ the monstrous cav. O&G, Skaven, DoC, Beastmen ... You may want to try LoT. I used a Sorc Lord on Disc w/ Metal vs O&G and really regretted it. In an all-comers list ... really depends on what you think you'll be facing more of - high armor v low armor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No idea about opponents yet, could be anyone or anything.

So after a reshuffle I've got something like this:

Sorcerer, extra level, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Endurance, Mark of Tzeentch (lore of metal most likely)

19x Chaos Warriors, Shields, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness (sorcerer will probably go here)

20x Chaos Marauders, Flails, Full Command

5x Chaos Warhounds, Mutant Poisons

5x Chaos Warhounds

5x Chaos Knights, Standard Bearer, Musician

All the changes and whatnot came to 995 so I stuck poison attacks on one of the hound units for funsies. I'm liking the combo of saves on the sorcerer, and that extra move from the banner of swiftness should hopefully catch a few people out. I figure at 19 strong the chaos warriors will still be difficult to shift for most and the knights/hounds can still ride around causing trouble.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A good option for those points on the end would be The Gleaming Pennant for the knights. Let's you re-roll your 1st failed Ld test. The last thing you want is your knight unit running off the field because one of your soft units got wiped out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. Gleaming pennant it is! And thanks again for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts