Full command, 25 man

Wolf riders-140
10, shields, short bows

Black orcs-318
20, shields, full command

Doom diver-80

Spear chukkas-70
2 spear chukkas

The idea is that my black orcs are the hammer unit, soaking up damage and dishing it out while being supported by the weaker orcs and the flanking gobbos. The diver and chukkas will sit back and shoot at anything particularly nasty, to make it less nasty when I get into cc with it. The goblin shaman is there to steal power dice and to cast spells; he will either end up with the crew of a warmachine, or with the normal orcs (depending on what power he has)

what do you guys think? Is this viable? I am a total newbie to fantasy (played my first 2 games today), so any general orc and goblin advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So is this list good as is? what changes would you make?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm guessing that due to the lack of replies this list is the best 1000 point orc list ever, otherwise people would have given opinions on how to improve it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So I'm guessing that due to the lack of replies this list is the best 1000 point orc list ever, otherwise people would have given opinions on how to improve it.
Just chill man, not that many people are on the fantasy boards compared to 40k. As for your list, the characters are fine, the orcs need shields, thought they are t4 with only light armour magic missiles and shooting will make them dissapear. The Black orcs are good, and you cant go wrong with O&G Cheap and cheerful war machines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It seems like a good list, but for a 1000 pt game I would prefer more troops and I never had much success with the Doom Diver or the spear chukkas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think your list is a good solid 1000 pt list. I would put AHW on your orc rather then shields. More choppa, more better.
(but I am a Beastmen player and that is how we roll... and then reroll dice - you will know what I mean when you play one :grin: )

I like that you didn't load up your shaman and general with a hole bunch of extra crap. You keep your list simple.

If I were playing I would put the Black orc boss with the orc boyz. I have seen annimosity so much from my orc buddy that it has stopped being funny... but I laugh anyway. :laugh: I think that it makes him feel better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Alright, time to try to get back into fantasy!

Looking over your list there are several alternate options I see which I would prefer, but the list itself is alright. I'll post my comments in purple below the unit.

Night goblin shaman-135
Lvl 2, staff of sneaky stealin’
I would prefer a Borc Big Boss with the battle standard "Mork's Spirit Totem." Sit him on a boar with heavy armor and you are looking at a guy adding three dispel dice to your pool and being better for leadership and actual fighting. I've seen armies at this points level with at least two mages before, and I don't think over all you'll have much success with him.

Black orc big boss-106
Heavy armour, shield, martog’s best basha
This is how I outfit my general at below 2000 points. With the addition of that all important boar, which will increase your armor greatly.

Orc boyz-155
Full command, 25 man
They need shields, then they'll be golden. Perhaps get another one or two with the suggestions I'm going to make father below.

Wolf riders-140
10, shields, short bows
You have too many in one unit. Units of five with spears and a musician are best. Shields make them no longer count as fast cavalry, which is their best use, take off shields. With these changes you can use the other five to get a second unit, which will be infinitely better.

Black orcs-318
20, shields, full command
Nooooooo! These are alright at best, but when you are in a points level this low you do not want to take these at all. This could be turned into two units of 25 orcs, or one unit of 25 and a couple units of goblins. I strongly recommend against these.

Doom diver-80
He is alright, but I think you'd be better off getting 2 more spear chukkas and a boss for both.

Spear chukkas-70
2 spear chukkas
They could use a boss. If your fast cavalry panic you don't want these guys running off the board edge.

It is an alright beginners list, but those changes and additions would make it pretty good. Just remember that 'eavy orc armies don't do well, and horde orc armies do pretty well.

Hope you're start into warhammer is a resounding success.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts