Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up against elves with first strike and a mage with a dragon mount.

What can I do to counter the mage and dragon without using a sniper?
Or is the sniper my only option?

I want to make an army with a mage +1 hero, Cav, ranged, and melee troops. With a mortor or canon.

I'm not asking you to build my army just give some advice.

Thanks in advance for any comments or critiques.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Well, I did write some useful comments before a thought hit me and I deleted them all again. Next time you play this guy wait for him to deploy, pull a slipper out of your bag (or a rolled up newspaper, either will do fine) and then beat him about the head until he cries.
In a 1000pt game you can only spend 250pts on heroes... and the dragon mage starts at 350pts (plus the possible 50pts of magic items) so he cannot take it. It is not possible to play a dragonmage until a 1400pt game, and then I wouldnt take one in anything less then 1600pts (he needs his magic items).

Anyway if you do play against one again simply laugh at it. 1 cannonball into the model will kill the mage and could well take out the dragon too... thats right 1!! Since a cannonball hits everyone on a base when it impacts (you dont randomise)you'll get a S10 D6 wound hit on both rider and dragon from a single shot. Which is more then enugh to kill the mage. HAve the cannonball land about 5.5" in front of the dragon and its about a 60% chance you'll hit it.
If that doesnt work then a unit of handgunners should take the rider out without much issue. It used to be easier with the +1 to hit against large targets, bu its still pretty wasy- since the rider has no save (ok a 6+ for being mounted) and shouldnt have a ward save of any note just a few hits can take him out. Only game I ever used a dragon mage in he got pincushioned by a unit of 10 archers in a single turn... then the dragon is pretty likely to either go insane (monster reaction) or to just run away since its only Ld7.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I asked my friend about it and he said he's never heard of such a rule that says maximum of 250 pts on a hero for a 1000 pt game. Can you give me a page number?

Please. Thanks.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
P135 in huge great lettering in the table across the bottom of the page. Im assuming you are playing the current rules of course.. if you are playing the old 7th edition rules then he can legally take the dragon, but you get +1 to hit it with shooting, so should still kill it pretty easily.

In 8th ed you can have:
Upto 25% on lords
Upto 25% on heroes
must have 25%+ on core
Upto 50% on special
Upto 25% on rare

So in a 1000pt game you can have 250pts of lords, heroes and rare and 500pts of special but must have at least 250pts of core (obviousy you cant break the 1k total as well).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ooops I missed the last part of the post for some reason sorry, thanks for the help.

My friend said that a dragon mage counts as two hero choices. (never mind I see the answer for that in your last post as well)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend is cool with working with the new rules, we're gonna test them out today. He also decided to change his army to Hordes of Chaos.

But one question we both have is, why would high elves have the same restrictions as a different army since in 7th edition they have half of the requirements for core units compared to other armies? My friend thinks that kinda ruins the high elf concept.

·
Registered
147 Posts
High Elves in 8th edition have other bonuses for army selection, such as no restriction on the number of duplicate choices for special/rare, while other armies are limited to 2 duplicate choices. If they eliminated the percentage restrictions for HE's, though, not only would things get too complicated, there would be massive unbalancing in favor of the pointy-hats.

HE's are plenty powerful in 8th edition. Make sure both you and your friend read your armies' FAQs on the GW website once you get the new rulebook, too, as they clear up alot of the conflicts that currently exist between the old army books and the new rules.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts