-1 Terminator with Assault Cannon
-3 Terminators with Storm Bolters and Powerfists
-Sergeant with Storm Bolter and Powersword
= 245

Dreadnaught

-Assault Cannon
-DCCW
= 125

I've got 255 points left to play with. Do I buy another Terminator squad and grab some Chainfists? Or do I buy a Landraider? and If so, which variant?

All would help the lists, but I have no idea which to choose. What do you guys think?

I need the list for thursday :)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I would say switch to a higher point value.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
grab a LR, standard pattern, and i would upgrade the Dread's weapon to a plasma cannon or MM.

you want to be able to deliver at least one unit moderately intact, and the LCs on the LR plus the plasma cannon should do OK to bust most armor at this point level.

that being said, i would consider switching out squad roles: make one squad stand and shoot, and equip the other with CC weaponry.

good hunting.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yea 1K is a tough call for DW...that one dread will have a big fat bulls-eye on it, but taking 2 will keave you with 100 and something points to spend...and on what?
Not been able to take 6+ TDA sucks big time.

From your choices I would take a 3rd TDA Squad.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I pretty much second that Inquisitor Malaclypse has said with some modifications.

Since your current list can only shoot at 24" you may have tough time fighting enemy long guns that will get a round or two of unhindered shooting before you manage to pay them back. So, IMHO, you really need to have some long-range suppression fire.

Thus I'd recommend you to take a plain Godhammer LR and swap AssCan for PC on Dread (Multimelta suggested by Malaclypse is still 24" and in that range assault cannons are fine). Thus you may actually have chance of killing enemy heavy support before it mows you down with pie plates, and breaking enemy transport as well.

Also, two thoughts:
1) If I remember correctly, you have an issue with taking CML, but still I'd say dead models on the opponent's table side would be great for your list. So maybe CML + AssCan?
2) Don't really know how DA do it, but don't you want to throw some lightning claws in your squads (think some high-initiative attacks are a good tradeoff for SB+PF).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
From my experience with DA at 1k points... every single wound is VERY important. So protecting an Assault Squad with a LR would be the best opition IMO. Another squad could work to help boost your numbers, but they would die just as easy. I personally almost say take out the dread completely... OR... take out an Asscan from one of the squads, and turn that Dread into a Dakka dread with Las and Missle. As for tactics... I wouldn't split the squads. If you have an Assaultier squad in the LR, just march the other squad right up behind the LR as a shield. Splitting them up is a bad idea as eventually they would be worn down by the enemies great numbers. Keeping them together will allow you to steam roll one squad at a time. Be warry of plasma guns and cannons in the opposition force... 1 plasma cannon wipped out a full squad of my terms that arrived via deathwing assault and I now learned to never do that again. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, Ok. So I've decided on the landraider.

Which Variant? I love my Crusaders, but is the Godhammer the better chocie you reckon?

Sorry, I've only played 2 games with the Deathwing and they at 2500 points. So i'm not on familiar turf.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would say the Godhammer to provide you with the extra range with the lascannons. Put Belial with the shooty squad and march them up the field together using the LR as a shield. Assault with your Assualty squad, and if the combat lasts more then 1 round, counter Assault the following turn with Belials Squad. That is what I would do at least.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Belial
-Sword of Silence and Storm bolter
= 130

Deathwing Terminator Squad 1
-1 Terminator with Assault Cannon and Chainfist
-3 Terminators with Storm Bolters and Powerfists
-Sergeant with Storm Bolter and Powersword
= 250

Deathwing Terminator Squad 2
-1 Terminator with Heavy flamer and Chainfist
-3 Terminators with Lightning claws
-Sergeant with Lightning Claws
= 225

Dreadnaught
-TLLC
-DCCW
= 145

Landraider
= 250

Total = 1000

there, that better?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would say drop the chainfist from the shooty squad and give your dread a heavy flamer. Personally I'm not a big fan of the TLLC and DCCW combo as 1 is for range tanks and 1 is for crowd control... Maybe drop both chain fists and give the dread the missle pod.

For what it is though, looks like a great list to me.

Good Hunting

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kept the DCCW going on the basis that I'm probably going to end up in CC. I did forget about giving the Dread a heavy flamer however, so I will change that from a chainfist.

I could drop the Dreads lascannon, the heavy flamer and both chainfists and put the Dread a in Drop pod...

I do love the death wing. Turns are short and sweet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would rather walk the dread up the field then put him in a drop pod solo. With very little armor in your army... enemy meltas will have a field day on your dread before he can even get into CC. March him up behind the LR as well so he can get a cover save if 50% of the model is blocked. The DP would then be an easy kill point that is just wasted points in the end. Keep the TLLC and heavy flamer IMO.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2 armies I'll be facing on thursday (tomorrow) are Blood angels and Imperial Guard.

Not worried about the BA, but the guard could be problematic.

It really does tempt me to drop either the Landraider for a Crusader, or, drop the TLLC off of the dread and both chainfists and giving squad 1 their assault cannon back :/

·
Registered
257 Posts
Going against the BA... you want second turn, no doubt about that. Allow him to deploy first and then stick your army on one side of the board to force him to come at you with 1 squad at a time as he is forced to move the units on the other edge of the board a few extra turns before he can assault so you can deal with each squad individually instead of being swarmmed by all of his squads at once.

With regards to the Guard, changing to a Crusader might be a better plan as the Crusaders Hurricane Bolters will be better against his numbers... and the DA Crusader comes stock with a Multi-Melta so you will still get some of that anti-tank. As for dropping the TLLC on the Dread... I would say it determines on if he runs a lot of mech or not. At 1000pts, there is bound to be some form of armor, and taking the TLLCs away from the LR will leave you pretty crippled in terms of range. And as I think about it, the heavy flamer in your CC squad would probably be better then the Asscan anyways because I'm sure some of his guys will be tucked in cover and that flamer will take a lot of them out.

Hope these suggestions help.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll just swap the Landraider then.

Against the BA, I'll try and play a closed game. I'll try and use a ruin or something to prevent flanking. And the Crusader on the other flank.
Although the obvious jump packs will neglete this, hopefully 11 terminators will be enough to deter him.

Against the guard I'll refuse a flank and attack one side of his army. Hopefully, 2 assault cannons and massed bolters will be enough to damage him piecemeal.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only played the battle against the BA.

went rather well despite ending as draw.

Deployed as far forward as I could with the Crusader in the centre flanked by the 2 squads of Terminators. The Dread hung back a little closer to my edge.

Basics of the battle is I turtled and ended up receiving a full frontal assault by 3 Assault squads and a Death company.

Dread did well and zapped the outflanking rhino in the 2nd turn and blew the Baal pred sky high.

Fairly basic ending with pretty much every model in the massive ruck at board centre. Belial did well and killed 8 marines over the course of the game (killed a DC with his storm bolter hehehehe).

This means with DW I've got a 1-1-1 ratio of win/draw/loss. Quite happy with that tbh.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Instead of setting up in the middle of the board... next time try turtling on either the far left or far right side of the board... hopefully you have second deployment... because you could have possible faired better if you didn't take all of the assault at once and used your terms together to take out each of his squads one at a time. Use the Crusader as a wall to create a pinch to block his flanking units. Good to hear though that a 4th edition codex managed to draw even with a 5th edition dex :D.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I play to aggressively for DW.

I go straight on the Offensive from turn one. And try and use the mass but condensed fire power to whittle my opponents and then break them with the charge.
However, I'm beginning to think that hanging back and putting my opponent under fire, then bolting forward and assaulting later on. Turn 4 would be optimal.

At 1000 points, it was hard to make an army that wasn't little more than compulsary choices with a little support.

At 1500 points, I think I can get out a little more than that. I'll throw in another squad and a second crusader. That'll give me huge firepower, and hopefully intimidation.

I'm looking at using a Terminus Ultra Landraider (a converted one dubbed 'The Lion's Roar' ;p)

But I'll make another list for 1500 when It's needed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That is something I always get sucked into as well, being too aggressive. But I look at the DW in this manner, if you are going up against a shoot army... charge and get into CC asap or you will get shot to bits. Going up against a CC or Horde army... sit back, shoot, take down there numbers and then counter assault when they get within range. DW aren't the best CC SM army, but aren't horrible. Like wise, DW can definetly make use of their guns more then a CC SM army like wolves or BA. Its just a matter of finding what your opponent is weak at and exploit it.

You are right about the DW being just about the basic force org at low points. It is really difficult to field different opitions at 1000 points when belial and 2 squads of terms is costing you 600 points of that 1000. Personally I use just regular tact squads at the low point games and save the pure DW for 1500pts or more... but I know how you feel about the DW... so power to ya for stick with it :D.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts