Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been thinking of building up a Dark Eldar army, but doing it a bit differently. Looking around the net most armies seem to be built around the same few units, Wyches and Warriors loaded onto Raiders, Blasterborn on Venoms, etc. Yawn. I guess its all tried and tested, but its a bit too copy and paste for my liking.

Anyway, I thought the Baron was interesting as he unlocks Hellions as troops. Then I wondered, why don't people ever use beastmasters? Some tactica articles don't even mention them! (Maybe its because the up-dated models weren't released until later.) With their high speed and number of attacks put together with the Khymera's invulnerable saves they must be a fun unit to play. I've not included Razorwing Flocks as they are my least favorite models out of the three. The Reavers are included for some anti-tank stuff. The Baron would probably run with one of the Beastmaster units to give them some extra punch. The Hellions will pounce on objectives later in the game. It comes in at just short of 1000 points, I could probably upgrade someone to a champion.

Just wondering what you guys and gals thought about it. If i'm barking up the wrong tree just let me know. Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for any comments. :)

Baron Sathonyx (105)
7 Hellions (112)
7 Hellions (112)
7 Hellions (112)
3 Beastmasters - 10 Khymera, 1 Clawed Fiend (196)
3 Beastmasters - 10 Khymera, 1 Clawed Fiend (196)
3 Reavers - Heat Lance (78)
3 Reavers - Heat Lance (78)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Nice alternative take. The only real problem, aparte the squishiness of the hellions, is the fact that your antimeq and antitank is low. very low. the 2 heatlances are going to get wasted in the first turn of shooting. I'd rather take a razorwing jet or a Ravager for dark lances. besides, you should take this list for some friendly games and give us a report on how it fared!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I think Hellions can work as an army, but I'd build them as follows:

Baron Sathonyx
Haemonculus with Liquifier Gun

10 Hellions with Helliarch with Stunclaw
10 Hellions with Helliarch with Stunclaw
10 Wracks with 2 Liquifier Guns

Ravager
Ravager

Aegis Defence line with Quad-Gun

You've got 50pts left to work with. The Haemonculus starts attached to a Hellion Squad to give them his Pain Token, then leaves to join the Wracks on the Quad-Gun to sit on an objective.

Midnight

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. The Stunclaw looks fun, i'll have to fit some in somewhere. All I have so far is the Codex. I think i'll pick up a box of Hellions first to start with and see how it goes from there.

I'm sick of painting power armour at the moment and need a change!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Worth thinking about would be a second Haemonculus in order to give both Hellion units Feel No Pain - that uses the last 50pts, and though the Haemonculus isn't going to be doing an awful lot, you could replace the Liquifier Gun on the first Haemonculus for a Venom Blade apiece as a further combat deterrent.

I think that would be a fine use of the extra 50pts, as you start becoming really rather threatening with 20 FnP-ing, potentially Stealth'd Hellions moving very quickly towards the enemy.

Midnight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts