Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is 950 points. I'm either going to throw in a rhino for the flaming havocs or cultists, or add a unit of 10 cultists. I also have a DP and a Huron, but I feel like the Lord is the best value. This is my first army BTW, I'm at 500 and I'm slowly building up to a goal. If i pick the rhino I'll also have 15 leftover which I can give to the Lord to upgrade him to juggernaut.

HQ:
Khorne Lord………………………………..…155
Chaos Bike
Axe of Blind Fury
MoN
(with Nurgle bikers)
VOTLW
Plasma Pistol

Troops: 119

10 Chaos Cultists………………………….64
1 Heavy Stubber
9 Autoguns

10 Chaos Cultists………………………...55
1 Flamer

Fast Attack: 321

3 Bikers……………………………………..…..151
MoN
Champion has Power fist and L.Claw
VOTLW
2 meltas

Heldrke:………………………………………...170
Baleflamer

Heavy: 403

5 Havocs……………………………………...…135
4 autocannons
MoN
VOTLW

5 Havocs…………………………………………..110
MoN
4 Flamers

2 Obliterators…………………………………...158
MoN
VOTLW

Total: 998

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yea my b I must have missed that. Do you think I should replace the Axe with a Poweraxe then? Or switch him and the bikers to khorne. This is my first army by the way. I'm currently building pieces i have about 500 points and I'm looking at a goal army.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Firstly, welcome! Nice to see more chaos players.

Secondly, have you thought about a theme for your army? Are you aware of the Traitor Legions? http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chaos_Space_Marine#.Ul88c1CVOpA

Pick one of them to theme your army around, you can have more fun that way! Depending on what army you choose, should determine what God of Chaos you follow. (unless you choose an undivided army then you can go nuts).

Loki does bring up a good point - you can't mix and match marks of the gods with units - ie: a lord with mark of nurgle cannot join a unit with a different mark (but can join an unmarked unit)

However, if you are inclined to the roll of Khorne (blood shed, melee combat) you're going to have a great time in close combat (your opponents not so much). You've kitted your bikers out well with melta guns however seeing as you have kitted them out with meltas, probably wouldnt sink points into a power fist and lightning claw on your champion, as you have made them into tank hunters, I'd suggest melta bombs on him and maybe a power sword (strike at Initiative value at AP3 - and with Mark of Khorne you get A LOT of attacks at AP3 - perfect for mincing marines if you come around to it)

Your lord you should give the MoK (mark of khorne) nd the axe of blind fury because its just so destructive!, pop him on a juggernaught and then either shield him in another squad of bikes (kitted with plasmas or flamers) or a squad of 4-5 chaos spawn. The reason you dont want him in the other biker squad is because they are tank hunters and you want your Lord carving infantry. ALso scrap the plasma pistol, short range and pretty useless, bolt pistol works fine for +1 attack

take VoTLW off your havocs, you dont want them in close combat, your other havocs maybe give them lascannons or more autocannons/ a missile launcher, again you dont want your havocs near the fighting - and remember, giving them heavy weapons (auto cannons, missile launchers and las cannons, if you move them you have to fire snap shots with them)

Oblits are fine with MoN, even MoT works well for them too making them T4 and 4++ save. Helldrake, yes please, big tick of approval there.

The only other suggestion i have is to get some regular marines, lots of them too, they will form up the core of any of your lists, cultists are just there for secondary things (line breaker and annoying your opponent), and if you choose a mark of the gods, get their special unit that counts as core (khorne = beserkers, nurgle = plague marines, tzeentch = thousand sons and slaanesh = noise marines)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! I do love CC, but it seems hard to get them up close without being shot down, and land raiders seem overpriced for 1000 and 1500 point armies. Do you think focusing around a Nurgle Lord or Huron would win more? I hadn't heard of the traitor legions, but I'm reading now thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think Nurgle is the favoured mark, as it gives +1 Toughness, which is awesome! But if you like CC, Khorne is the way to do, get some rhinos to drop some berserkers in and have a great time! Kharn is also good in a group of cultists (of 20+) gives you enogh troops to team kill with rolls of 1 and gives him a nice buffer from shooting.

Khorne Lord on jugger with AoBF is terrifying. Read MossyToes article in the chaos space marine tactica for anything you need help with, hes kind of the CSM/Daemons wizard on this forum.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121542

·
Registered
682 Posts
HQ:
Khorne Lord………………………………..…155
Chaos Bike
Axe of Blind Fury
MoN
(with Nurgle bikers)
VOTLW
Plasma Pistol
I'm confused here. Your "Khorne Lord" has the Mark or Nurgle, The Axe of Blind Fury (MOK Unit only) and rides with the nurgle Bikers? Sadly you can't have this. You need to drop MON for MOK to keep AoBF but be unable to ride with the bikers. Or Drop AOBF and keep MON.

Troops: 119

10 Chaos Cultists………………………….64
1 Heavy Stubber
9 Autoguns
Shooty unit but a bit meek at this level. You may want to consider boosting the numbers of these guys by dropping the havocs. Alternatively drop the havocs and use the points to buy a Marine squad with a special weapon.

10 Chaos Cultists………………………...55
1 Flamer
Again low numbers and leadership here. Consider finding points to "pad" the squad out.

Fast Attack: 321

Bikers……………………………………..…..151
MoN
Champion has Power fist and L.Claw
VOTLW
2 meltas
A bit of a hit and miss unit. I like the idea of them because at 1000pts having T6 dudes with 4+ cover is a difficult unit to shift. However the low numbers of the units may work against them if even the most medium of fire ends up going their way. You may want to consider 4 Spawn of Nurgle here if you run the lord as MON though again you need to decide what you want to do with the lord.

Heldrke:………………………………………...170
Baleflamer
One of the best units of the codex sadly and an auto take. No problems here.

Heavy: 403

5 Havocs……………………………………...…135
4 autocannons
MoN
VOTLW
VOTLW isn't really needed here because these guys hang back and shoot. You should out range most return fire and really you want them to camp a piece of cover with good LOS and just plink away at light armour and exposed squads. Consider dropping MON and VOTLW for an extra Havoc or 2 or even find a way of squeezing in a Rhino with a Havoc launcher. It's a great little fire base and you use it to Block LOS to your havocs from pesky enemy fire.

5 Havocs…………………………………………..110
MoN
4 Flamers
I don't get the point of this unit. It's going to have to footslog its way to a target, it's too small to survive getting there and it's weapon load out means it's hunting...light infantry I guess. Consider removing this or giving it autocannons like the unit above.

2 Obliterators…………………………………...158
MoN
VOTLW
Solid choice, but also your only real anti-armor. I could see these guys finding it a bit problematic dealing with any list with 2 or more Armour 13+ vehicles. Maybe drop these for a dedicated tank-hunting unit in a rhino or going again with havocs but with lascannons.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A Public Service Announcement

Only ICs on bikes should be joined to units of bikes. This is because the bikes will receive a jink save while your IC will not. As a result enemy players may focus fire to snipe your IC out of the unit.

Effectively this means a Chaos Lord needs a bike when in a bike retinue but for all other fast steeds he should have a retinue of spawn.

That being said, for you I would recommend either:

Nurgle lord with fisticlaw(power fist and lightning claw), sigil of corruption, blight grenades and bike with nurgle biker retinue w/ melta guns

Khorne lord with AoBF, juggernaught, sigil of corruption and melta bombs with unmarked chaos spawn retinue

The Nurgle option is a lot more sturdy and flexible while the Khorne option is cheaper and slaughters all infantry. If you go with the Khorne option make sure to add the lost ant-tank somewhere else in the list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts