Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i'm a new Grey Knights player and very excited to be one :)
if you could please have a look at this list i'd very much appreciate it.

Grand Master 180
Halberd

10 Strike Squad 255
Halberd Justicar
Hammer
2 Psycannons
Psybolt Ammo

5 Terminators 245
4 Halberds
1 Hammer
1 Psycannon
Psybolt Ammo

6 Purgation Squad 125
4 Incinerators
Teleport Homer
-Razorback 50
Psybolt Ammo

Nemesis Dreadknight 205
Heavy Psycannon
Heavy Psilencer

The general idea is that i rush the purgators up a flank, turn the razorback sideways and unload, using astral aim to shoot through the razorback and then deepstrike the grand master + terminators on top of them to charge next turn.
The strike squad and dreadknight are to be used for holding objectives (grand strategy) while giving fire suport.

Technically this is 1010 points but i cant find any where i can strip points from, anyways any advice would be welcome thank you for viewing :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
If you need points, I'd strip the Psilencer off the DK. Pick a weapon class. Anything that the psilencer would be fore, the Psycannon outclasses, while the Psycannon targets probably will be too tough for the Psilencer.

Not sold on the flamers with the Purgation... Flames THROUGH a rhino?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

Sorry to be pedantic, but I think your calculations are a bit off. You said you are 10 points over, when I count that you are actually 60 points over. I'm happy to be wrong, but I'd double check your sums.

Grand Master 180
Halberd

Your Grand Master seems to lack purpose with only a Halberd. If you drop him down to a Brother Captain, you lose Grand Strategy (which I'm not sure is that bad at only a 1000 points level) and 1 WS, but for the same price you can have a Brother Captain with Rad grenades, Halberd and some servo-skull to help you deep strike on target.

10 Strike Squad 255
Halberd Justicar
Hammer
2 Psycannons
Psybolt Ammo

Pretty decent home objective holders. Always a fan of psycannons. I assume the Halberd on the Justicar is so he can accept challenges, yes?

5 Terminators 245
4 Halberds
1 Hammer
1 Psycannon
Psybolt Ammo

Again, a pretty common unit that seems to do pretty well as all round. I have seen a variant of this which is 1 Hammer, 2 Halberds and 2 Swords. I would probably advise this since it means you have a bit more staying power in combat as you can get 4++ invulnerable rather than the usual 5++ invulnerable on some of the terminators. I think a mixed bag like that might be better.

6 Purgation Squad 125
4 Incinerators
Teleport Homer
-Razorback 50
Psybolt Ammo

I'm not sold on this unit, if I'm honest. 1st off, I'm pretty sure you can't fire through a Rhino. I know that Astral Aim allows you to fire when you don't have LOS, but considering the rulebook states (p78) that "one model may fire out of each fire point and the other transported models cannot fire", you can't even fire the shots to start with. Astral Aim only works for "units in range, even if they do not have line of sight to it or it is outside the distance they can see in a night fight". It says nothing about being able to let you shoot from a vehicle when you normally cannot. And a Razorback has no fire points, so none of the models could shoot anyway.

I think, if you take the advised Brother Captain with servo-skulls, a need for a teleport homer becomes less necessary. I would not take this unit personally. If you drop it, you can fit in a Psyrifle Dreadnought (A Dreadnought with 2 twin-linked autocannons and psybolt ammuntion) and have 40 points spare to play with, which helps your 60-points-over problem too.

Nemesis Dreadknight 205
Heavy Psycannon
Gatling Psilencer

I don't think I'm as opposed to the Gatling Psilencer as Xabre is, but that is because I can see 12 shots being useful against hoards of say 'Nids or Orks. But then, against such foes, a Heavy Incinerator might serve you better since it's higher strength, lower AP and has a reasonable range (for a template weapon).

However, my concern with this is that it is just one model and because it's big and threatening, it will likely be shot at a lot. Plus, it's guns are expensive and so push you over your points limit. I would probably take it out in favor of more bodies.

The general idea is that i rush the purgators up a flank, turn the razorback sideways and unload, using astral aim to shoot through the razorback and then deepstrike the grand master + terminators on top of them to charge next turn.

As me and Xabre said, I'm not sure this is entirely legal. Definitely need some people to support your HQ + Terminators, but I'm not sure it should be the Purgation squad. As I said, Servo-skulls would help a great deal here.

The strike squad and dreadknight are to be used for holding objectives (grand strategy) while giving fire suport.

I think the Dreadknight should really be bullying your opponent's heavy units/artillery if you kept it. If it's camping on an objective, it a big sitting duck. I mean, it can teleport in, so if you really wanted you could teleport it in with the HQ and friends, but again, I'd be tempted to change it for some more bodies.

Technically this is 1010 points but i cant find any where i can strip points from, anyways any advice would be welcome thank you for viewing :)
A list I might offer based on this one is this:

Brother Captain + Rad grenades + x2 Servo-skulls + Nemesis Force Halberd = 180 points

5 man Terminator Squad + 2 Halberds + Nemesis Daemonhammer + Psycannon = 225 points

10 man Strike Squad + x2 Psycannons + Nemesis Daemonhammer = 230 pts

10 man Strike Squad + x2 Psycannons + Nemesis Daemonhammer = 230 pts

Dreadnought + x2 Twin-linked Autocannons + Psybolt Ammunition = 135 points

I think that might be a better all round list and comes out at exactly 1000 points.

Other people may well have different idea, but those are my thoughts. HOpe they are helpful :victory:

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of Grey Knights. Always nice to have fresh blood :laugh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you Deus Mortis and Xabre for your advice, it turns out i forgot to add in the razorback to cost, i've rewritten the list and hope you could again give me some advice upon it.

I've replaced the Grand Master with a Librarian, giving me some more useful psychic abilities to use and a couple servo skulls to aid deepstriking the unit. I wasn't aware you couldn't shoot through vehicles with flame templates before and so have replaced them with a Mortis pattern dreadnought.
I also have 25 spare points and couldn't figure out where to place them, should i buy more psychic abilities for my librarian?

Librarian 170
Shrouding, Smite
2 Servo Skulls

10 Strike Squad 255
Halberd Justicar
Hammer
2 Psycannons
Psybolt Ammo

5 Terminators 245
4 Halberds
1 Hammer
1 Psycannon
Psybolt Ammo

Nemesis Dreadknight 170
Heavy Psycannon

Dreadnought 135
2x Twin-Linked Autocannon
Psybolt Ammo

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ermmm...not sold on the Librarian. He had 1 less wound that a Brother Captain and seems ultimately a bit more fragile. If you wanted to run him what I would suggest is buying no psychic powers, generating 2 free psychic powers,probably from Divination to aid with shooting, but you could also use Pyromancy or Telekinesis if you wanted, and using the spare 35 points to by him a warding save, giving him a 2++ invulnerable save in combat? At the very least, grab the Primaris Divination power Prescience. It's great and will help a lot with shooting. Plus you can generate one other power from any of them, which is always nice since they are free rather than the Codex powers.

However, I would still be worried about the lack of bodies in your list. But, fortune does sometimes favor the bold and it's possible that your opponent won't have that many heavy weapons in 1k and so your Dreadknight could do quite well, plus it can be a force to be reckoned with if used correctly. On the other hand, it might not do so well if you were facing say guard or tau with lost cost strong weapons...I still would be tempted to trade it in for more marines, personally.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
"It says nothing about being able to let you shoot from a vehicle when you normally cannot. And a Razorback has no fire points, so none of the models could shoot anyway."

Astral Aim can't be used to fire from a vehicle without fire points but it can be used to fire through something that is blocking your line of sight.

What it won't let you do however is place a flamer template so that it hits a friendly model so that is what is stopping you from using the Razorback as cover. Give the Purgies Psycannon which are overall the better weapon.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

Grand Master 180
Halberd
This guy is fine in larger level games, but takes up too much of your army at 1000pts (he represents 18% of your army in one model!)

I'd look to bring a cheap-ass inquisitor with Psyker mastery level 1 in small games. Alternatively, you can use the GM as a terminator inquisitor for cheap as well.

10 Strike Squad 255
Halberd Justicar
Hammer
2 Psycannons
Psybolt Ammo
GKSS are a top notch unit, although I'd be inclined to drop all close combat upgrades. They just don't do well enough in CC to justify expanding their ability any further. Also consider grabbing a Rhino. But otherwise this is good.

5 Terminators 245
4 Halberds
1 Hammer
1 Psycannon
Psybolt Ammo
I find Terminators to be mediocre at best, however these are fine whilst you're learning the army. Drop the Psybolt Ammunition here; it's just too inefficient on a 5 man squad.

6 Purgation Squad 125
4 Incinerators
Teleport Homer
-Razorback 50
Psybolt Ammo
I'm pretty much going to echo what everyone else has already said; this unit doesn't work. I love purgators, but to use them as you describe, you'd need to bring psycannons, and you just don't have the points for that.

Nemesis Dreadknight 205
Heavy Psycannon
Heavy Psilencer
Drop both guns for the heavy incinerator; it's so, so much better and costs far less.

Using a Dreaknight as an objective holder is pretty wasteful; it should be crashing into the enemy and punching faces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my offering to your list:

Inquisitor - 110
TDA
Psycannon
Psychic lvl 1 (Divination)

Strikes - 235
10x
1x Halberd
1x Hammer
2x Psycannon

Strikes -235
10x
1x Halberd
1x Hammer
2x Psycannon

Dreadnought - 135
2x Autocannon
Psybolt

Dreadnought - 135
2x Autocannon
Psybolt

Dreadnought - 135
2x Autocannon
Psybolt

995 pts total

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The above list is terrible. Psyflemen are good, but they aren't worth bringing three of in pretty much any list, let alone a small sized game like this. The name of the game is troops, and 20 MEQ isn't enough.

They were brokenly good in 5th edition, and even then you wouldn't take 3 at 1000pts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts