Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being short on time and money I'm still looking to relight a bit of WH hobby over the summer, and have been going through the codexi making footslogging lists/min. vehicles. Here's Pure GKs' go. Not the most optimum codex to do it with but I adore the models and theme - and may write some fiction for the army. I'll have to decide in a bit which I'm going to build. I sacrificed troop numbers for double Dread and will magnetise/something the displayed '/' weapons choice. I thought it might be worth it for saturation and AT power. Should I drop the Termies for troops or can I survive if careful? I just thought I'd need the combat power. Damn I hate expensive (point-wise) models .

HQ:

Brother Captain: (61)

Retinue: 4 Grey Knight Terminators: Psycannon (209)

Troops:

5 P.A. Grey Knights: 2 Psycannons, Targetter, Frag Grenades (202)

8 P.A. Grey Knights: Incinerator, Targetter, Frag Grenades (237)

Heavy Support:

Grey Knights Dreadnought: Lascannon, HF/ML, S.Launchers, EA (148)

Grey Knights Dreadnought: Lascannon, HF/ML, S.Launchers (143)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yes you could drop the GKT for another GK Squad, but the list is also fine as is really.
I'm impressed that you haven't gone overboard on Wargear, which is one thing most 'new' Pure GK players have a habit of doing.

It's good that you've gone for long range Dreads, but you can't have a HF...the ML replaces it completely.

Bear in mind that if you expand you will need to consider LR's, especially if you want to get the best use out of Incinerator - outfitted Squads.,,footslogging them means it won't be in range of anything for the first few turns (usually).

My 2c anyway...cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sacrificed troop numbers for double Dread and will magnetise the displayed '/' weapons choice.
So depending on the game I'll either play DCCW with HF, or a ML 'arm' ;).

Thank you for the comments - yeah, seeing as I haven't played for a bit I've had a while to really begin to write very 'non-fat' army lists across the codices.

It's helpful when trying to decide between the five or so 1k list I've written so far when they don't need much tweaking :).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this tweak an improvement or am I better off with the original where the small squad can sit on Objectives and snipe?

HQ:

Brother Captain: Psycannon (91)

Retinue: 4 Grey Knight Terminators: Psycannon (209)

Troops:

7 P.A. Grey Knights: Targetter, Frag Grenades (202)

7 P.A. Grey Knights: Incinerator, Targetter, Frag Grenades (212)

Heavy Support:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are all your troops going to be running up or are the TAGK's going to be deepstriking?

I would go with Hobo's suggestion for a Raider, they're a must have for 1000+ point games, i don't know why, but GK's just love Raiders..

Personally i would replace the Dreads with a Raider, put Psycannons in the footslogging PAGK's and INC with the Termies, use the remaining points to buy a couple more PAGK's to fill up the shootie squads. A mate of mine has almost that exact list and he wins 75% of the time, and it certainly isn't due to his 'tactical expertise'.

EDIT: Keep your PAGK squads with as even numbers as possible, especially in kill points games. It evens out the firepower and the wounds. 'if you put all your eggs in one basket...'

·
Registered
157 Posts
I disagree with most people who play Grey Knights in the use of Land raiders. At 1000pts especially, a LR is a horrible idea. It takes up 1/4 of your points that go boom with a melta shot. I run a list simliar to yours at 1000pts. Depending if I know I am playing a Mech list in which case my dreads are TTLC/ML or light mech they are TLLC/DCCW. I tend to run the dreads as a screen for my advancing or stationary GK. Give one of your Termies TH/SS for free in case they have to take on a dread. The only thing I might try changing up in your list is taking out the Termies and putting in another squad of GK. That would depend on if you are playing a horde list (more GKPA) or more elite (Termies).

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I would go with Hobo's suggestion for a Raider, they're a must have for 1000+ point games, i don't know why, but GK's just love Raiders..
Bear in mind I didn't say for the OP to take a LR @1K...I said that when he starts building larger lists then consider fielding LR's.

I disagree with most people who play Grey Knights in the use of Land raiders. At 1000pts especially, a LR is a horrible idea. It takes up 1/4 of your points that go boom with a melta shot. I run a list simliar to yours at 1000pts. Depending if I know I am playing a Mech list in which case my dreads are TTLC/ML or light mech they are TLLC/DCCW. QUOTE]
Yes, at 1K Dreads are good Units to run. That said, LR(C)'s are required in a competitive environment once the Lists - points start rising, especially if you field Incinerators because you don't want them walking...talking about a pure GK list here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts