Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm experimenting with different codexes (and yes, I'm aware that I'm spending way too much on codexes) in order to forge a 1000 points list. After some time spent with calculator I came up with this. I'm not entirely sure what I hope to accomplish (other than to have a decent chance at winning obviously) so it's WIP project and everything is up to change. So without further ado:

Librarian with Divination
Command Squad with Banner of Devastation inside Rhino
3XSquad of Tactical Marines (5) inside Rhino with additional Storm Bolter
Nephilim Jetfighter with Avenger Mega Bolter
3XPredator with Autocannon

A small brick of stubborn Space Marines projecting a neat 24 inches kill zone with their cute little banner and cheap but useful Librarian buffing everything around while Jet flies around looking threatening and 3 AV 13 Predators shooting away with theirs autocannons. Alternatively I can change Nephilim to Dark Talon giving even more support with his blinding Rift Cannon (and you can't kill what you can't see), change 1 Predator to bear Lascannon and spend remaining points for a Hunter-Killer Missile (Btw. I just love that "Missile" in english have a word "miss" in it :) )
What would you say?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
just a thought why not drop on tact squad down to 5 men and spend the rest on heavy bolter upgrade on those preds?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
This would be OK so long as you don't face AV12+. I'm also not convinced of the Nephilim's role as anti air or armour with only a twin linked lascannon. It's a decent weapon but one by itself leaves a fair amount of room for failure and it's a very mismatched weapons matchup (though I also dislike standard Land Raiders for much the same reason).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
just a thought why not drop on tact squad down to 5 men and spend the rest on heavy bolter upgrade on those preds?
But they are 5 men squads.

I'm also not convinced of the Nephilim's role as anti air or armour with only a twin linked lascannon. It's a decent weapon but one by itself leaves a fair amount of room for failure and it's a very mismatched weapons matchup (though I also dislike standard Land Raiders for much the same reason).
Forgot to mention - I swapped the Lascannon (for the same reason - I don't like that mismatched style) for Avenger Megabolter (6 str weapon).

As for AV 12 - Autocannons shred those. Or are at least as effective as a twin-linked lascannon is. Sure I won't be scoring penetrating hits often but with new glance system I can glance AV 12 to death. In my opinion problem is AV 13 up as I can't reliably deal with them with autocannons (or at all if you mention AV 14).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
As for AV 12 - Autocannons shred those.
:laugh: are you kidding? 6 Autocannon shots will get you a glance and a pen per turn statistically, with that lone pen only doing lasting damage on a further 5/6 roll. Not to mention if it's a transport passengers are only effected after a failed Ld test which is pretty rare in my games. I used to think the way you do at the advent of 6th, with my ADL w/ QG and Mortis Dreadnoughts filling the skies with S7 fire attempting to stop the pair of Heldrakes I habitually faced....and it failed. Almost every game. Now 4 Krak ML shots aren't even enough to stop a Rhino with the slightest of jerk dice. Nay sir, I would replace 'shred' with 'dents to varying degrees of success over the course of three turns' in regards to the case of S7 v. AV12 in 7th edition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Really? Holy crap. I have not done my homework :) I thought that with new glance system autocannons will be even better than they were already. Ok, I'll change and adapt.
I can get rid of one Predator (better for me really - one less box to buy and paint) to get lascannons for rest, remove additional storm bolters and get my Command Squad nice cozy Razorback with lascannon. That will give 21 bolters buffed with Banner magic, 3 twin-linked lascannons (each able to shoot different target - from my experience a really important aspect) and support Nephilim. To be honest I like the idea.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Sounds a lot better to me!

EDIT: Sorry for the brevity before, adding that amount of higher Strength weaponry will definitely help you out. I enjoy playing Predators without sponsons to keep points cost down and allow for different targets, something you are right in saying is important. In a game I played today I ran my 10 man Devastator squad as two separate 5 man squads (same cost, extra BS5 shot with the second sergeant: yes please!) and thoroughly enjoyed the results. I still prefer having the 4 Heavy Weapons to fire, but the two weapons on different targets was a HUGE boon to me. Now to find one more Lascannon model...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the sponsons as far as I remember have problems with shooting at the same target (I mean the field of view of said lascannon measured correctly as rulebook indicates) so to pay that many points to get a lascannon shot (not even twin-linked) is a bummer. And I can magnetize it to serve multipurpose.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well the sponsons as far as I remember have problems with shooting at the same target
Bet your ass they do. Fortunately as primarily a BA player I have access to the Baal variant, and the HB sponsons on those hang out far enough that they cut in on each other's firing arcs the further out you get. Not sure if the same can be said of the standard Predator sponsons...it's been a while since I played mine as such. Multiple rhino chassis's and magnetized parts can get confusing sometimes, I don't think I've used the standard SM sponsons in a while :laugh:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Baal Predator is any different from a standard Predator? I'm asking both out of curiosity and because it's actually 10% cheaper in my friendly neighbor hobby store. I always thought that the top mounted turret is different.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The Baal Predator is any different from a standard Predator? I'm asking both out of curiosity and because it's actually 10% cheaper in my friendly neighbor hobby store. I always thought that the top mounted turret is different.
The chassis is the same, and it only comes with the Auto/Flamestorm Cannon options. The sponsons are done up ever so slightly differently though, I think the Bolters are just a bit further out away from the hull than with the SM Predator set. I've only got the LC sponsons made up for comparison, but the Baal sponsons offer a wider firing arc than those for sure. I play Baal Predators and SM Predators in different armies and noticed the other game that subtle difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I don't really care about what options they get. With enough bits you can do whatever you like and since I happen to have few spare lascannons... :) Thanks for info though, with that project every penny I can spare is godsend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'll be damned... Blood Angels know how to build their tanks :) Good to know at least ONE chapter pulled their heads out of their asses :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts