Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've played this list 3 times now, with one overwhelming win against Chaos, a close game against Tau but still a win, and a close game against tyranids but defeated. Though I've added more plasma since the game against tyranids.

HQ
Interrogator Chaplain - termie armor, mace of redemption - 170

Elites
5 x deathwing knights - 235

Troops
10 man tactical - plasma gun, rhino, flakk
5 man tactical - flakk

Fast Attack
Ravenwing Attack Squad - 3 man with 2 x melta, 1 combi-melta, attack bike with multi-melta 155
Ravenwing Attack Squad - 3 man with 2 x plasma, 1 combi-plasma

Typically 5 man tactical stays back and shoots stuff, bikes scout and terminators drop by them turn 1. I have not been disappointed with the list at all but wanted some opinions from others who play dark angels as no one I know plays them. Thanks

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
On a more competitive level I'd say you lack a real air defense, but if you're winning you're winning. At 1000 pts. I'm facing minimum two fliers in just about all games and find an ADL with a Quad Gun is absolutely invaluable. I want to get an Icarus Lascannon, but have to find one at a decent price. I'm sure it will be just as effective.

Have you ever toyed with including a Razorback instead of a Rhino? One of my favourite tactics with 10 man tactical squads is putting the heavy weapon bearing combat squad backfield while the razorback moves the other half with the sergeant and special weapon up the board to assist with objective taking. Depending on points cost, you may have to drop a combi weapon to accomplish that, but it might be fun for you. Same armour, less capacity, more weapon.

By the way, Mace of Redemption win. I want that thing in my life, and will make a really cool one once I'm at the point where I'm seriously building my DA army as opposed to using unpainted Dark Vengeance models as allies with my BA. As of now I've been using the special issue Interrogator Chaplain as if he was armed with it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a more competitive level I'd say you lack a real air defense, but if you're winning you're winning. At 1000 pts. I'm facing minimum two fliers in just about all games and find an ADL with a Quad Gun is absolutely invaluable. I want to get an Icarus Lascannon, but have to find one at a decent price. I'm sure it will be just as effective.

Have you ever toyed with including a Razorback instead of a Rhino? One of my favourite tactics with 10 man tactical squads is putting the heavy weapon bearing combat squad backfield while the razorback moves the other half with the sergeant and special weapon up the board to assist with objective taking. Depending on points cost, you may have to drop a combi weapon to accomplish that, but it might be fun for you. Same armour, less capacity, more weapon.

By the way, Mace of Redemption win. I want that thing in my life, and will make a really cool one once I'm at the point where I'm seriously building my DA army as opposed to using unpainted Dark Vengeance models as allies with my BA. As of now I've been using the special issue Interrogator Chaplain as if he was armed with it.
Yeah, I was thinking two flakk wasn't enough anti-air. I've only played once against fliers and it took me forever to take down the one night scythe he had. But luckily I had already killed the rest of their army and taken control of their Aegis line.

I used to always run razorbacks back when I played vanilla so I own 5. I have thought about it but would really want to take las/plas and I just don't have the points for that. While the missile isn't used as much this way, the squad usually moves up a flank and supports the knights when they come down.

My other biggest concern is lack of scoring. But every game I've played at 1k with this list ends with someone getting tabled so it doesn't matter too much. The only thing I can think of dropping is the attack bike. As it does give up first blood fairly easily, but having that scout move and then a multi-melta has allowed me to be in 2D6 penetration range in all my games turn 1. Leading to an immobilized land raider and a dead long-strike hammerhead. Which was very useful indeed. The added benefits of the long-range razorback seems really good though...

And yes, that Mace is so nasty. Especially teamed up with the knights. They murder just about everything in CC (though they did die after 3 or 4 turns to 30 some hormagaunts). I definitely suggest bringing it along for your allies. Though I did forget it wasn't ap 2 against Tau and got smacked in the face by a riptide in CC.

Thanks, I'll have to think about this.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
HQ
Interrogator Chaplain - termie armor, mace of redemption - 170
Unfortunately, not even CLOSE to being as good as a Librarian in Terminator armour with Mastery Level 2. He's 25pts cheaper but better in pretty much every situation - I'd probably buy the Conversion Field too, but since he's in a squad of Deathwing Knights it doesn't really matter since he'll have tough guys to take bullets for him.

Elites
5 x deathwing knights - 235
Controversial unit, I like them.

Troops
10 man tactical - plasma gun, rhino, flakk
5 man tactical - flakk
Flakk is abysmal. 15 Tacticals is pretty poor scoring at 100pts - I'd drop a Ravenwing unit to boost the second squad to 10-man and give them the following loadout - Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Rhino. Cheapish, flexible, manouevrable (at 1000pts, Marines can really capitalise on their cheap transports and strong infantry).

Fast Attack
Ravenwing Attack Squad - 3 man with 2 x melta, 1 combi-melta, attack bike with multi-melta 155
Ravenwing Attack Squad - 3 man with 2 x plasma, 1 combi-plasmas
As I said, I'd lose a squad - probably the second, with Plasmas. I'd say 4 Meltaguns is overkill, so I'd drop the Combi-Melta in favour of 10pts elsewhere (drop the Combi-Melta and replace the Interrogator with a Librarian and you can buy a Rhino).

So with my changes:

Librarian with Mastery 2 in Terminator Armour
5 Deathwing Knights
Tactical Squad with Meltagun and Missile Launcher in Rhino
Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 2 Meltaguns and Attack Bike with Multi-Melta

80pts to play with. I'd be tempted to add 2 more Ravenwing Bikers, making it a squad of 5 for a bit more impact and flexibility, but alternatively you could take out the Attack Bike, giving you 135pts left, with which I would take a Mortis-Pattern Dreadnought with Twin-Linked Autocannon. If FW is not allowed in your area, I'd go for 2 additional members in the Ravenwing Attack Squadron and a Ravenwing Darkshroud. The Darkshroud, despite not having many good Ravenwing targets in this list, offers Stealth to both Rhinos and to the Bikes, and if the Marines disembark in ruins they now get 3+ cover saves. In smaller points, this is more valuable as you can cover a higher percentage of your army in the Stealth aura.

This would be:
5 Deathwing Knights
Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 2 Meltaguns and 2 additional squad members
Ravenwing Darkshroud

If that's not your thing, I'd add a Land Speeder with Typhoon Missile Launcher and Heavy Flamer for a small anti-horde buff:

5 Deathwing Knights
Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 2 Meltaguns, 2 additional squad members, and Land Speeder Typhoon with Heavy Flamer

Midnight

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm a librarian. Damn, I just finished painting that damn chaplain. I will go ahead and play test it in my next game. What powers would you suggest to roll on? I usually go divination but that is usually when I run the librarian in support of a shooting squad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts