Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I want to create 1K Crimsons fists after Ryns world disaster. So Stern guard and Vanguard are veterans that survive campaing, and scouts are new recruits.

HQ
Pedro Kantor (175)

Elite

Stern guard.
Melta bomb, Lighting Claw, 2 * Combi melta, Plasma gun (165)
Stern guard.
Melta bomb, Lighting Claw, 2 * Combi melta, Plasma gun (165)

Troops

Scout Squad.
Sniper rifles, Missile launcher, Camo Cloack (100)
Scout Squad.
Sniper rifles, Missile launcher, Camo Cloack (100)

Fast Attack

Vanguard veteran squad.
Relic blade, 2 * Power weapon
Razorback, Extra armour (225)

Land speeder.
Heavy flamer, Multi-melta (70)

Total 1000

Batle plan.
Pedro and Vanguard squad will ride in Razorback, and counterattack or assaulting enemy. Scouts provide cower fire, when sternguards advencing and try to kill something. And task for Land speder is to do damage as much he can after deepstrike.

What you think about this list ??

·
Registered
116 Posts
A single Razorback has a huge bull's eye painted on it - no more target for enemy antitank before Land speeder deepstrikes.
Land Speeder will live exactly one turn after arriving on the field - the bane of a single vehicle for the second time.
Five scouts can be blown away with a single round of Predator Destroyer shooting (maybe a little more with cover saves, but you get my idea, right)?
And your footslogging sternguard vets may have to endure some shooting before they get into bolter range. And they may be massacred before they get a chance to use their meltas (and scout's missile launchers aren't too reliable with WS3).

Sorry if I was too harsh, but you need to invest less into elites and more into troops, transport and proper heavy support, posing multiple threats and making target selection difficult for your opponent.
Beefing up scouts' numbers (maybe even adding 3rd squad), taking away one sternguard, adding Razorback with some big gun for a second sternguard, maybe even swapping multimelta speeder for rifleman dread or predator (to increase its survivability - AV10 may be shredded with heavy bolter fire) will allow you to keep with army theme and get a stronger army.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Couple of issues with your list...

1. At 1000 points you can't be lavish with your choices.
2. Scouts with cloaks can get a 2+ by going to ground in terrain. But their effectiveness is very limited in terms of offense. They are best used when you need to squeeze in an objective sitter but are really shy on points.
3. Pedro is a BIG points investment in an HQ.
4. Your Sternguard HAVE to have some transports.
5. One razorback and one speeder will get blown up very quickly.. you need multiple threats in order to make your opponent's target priorty a real part of the game.

That being said, you are talking about 1K, so it's hard for a list to build in too much redundancy into it. At best, you're looking at a couple of real threats every turn.

My advice would be to drop Pedro (why is HE the one leading) and replace him with a cheaper HQ (Libby or Chappie) then use the saved points to give the Sterguard Rhinos

Also, I think you gotta choose between the Sternguard and the Vanguard vets... you can work in one of them but both would be problematic. *I* would drop the vets and go with two more speeders and a dakka Pred.

Still maintains the fluffy aspect... but it also has a good deal more punch than before.

Another point, why the plasma on the Sternguard? Their guns are good enough as is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lol. Thats funny Isarofeen. :)

But on a more serious note. Both Shwartz and CLT make some good points. One Razorback and one land speeder are going to get blown apart very quickly. Marines are not very good at foot slogging, so giving transports to your squads can be very beneficial. Having two squads of Sternguard and one of Vanguard is very pricey, especially at 1000 points. IMO Pedro isn't too expensive at 1000, but he limits your ability to add redundancy.

I like the theme you are going with. Pedro is one of my favorite special characters and Sternguard are amazing. That being said, I feel like two units of Sternguard is too much. One in a razorback or rhino makes them more mobile and gives them some protection. A tac squad could be good. You could make it full strength and add a heavy and special weapon, take a razorback, and combat squad them for extra scoring units in objectives games. Just my two cents though. I feel like the Vanguard are too expensive for too little impact. Good luck and let us know how its coming along.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with others that at 1000 pts, you are better served with a cheaper HQ. Pedro's synergy really works well when you are leading an assault line with terminators (especially inside of a land raider) and other assault units nearby. At 1000 pts, you can't really work that idea.

If you do want to keep Pedro as your HQ because of your theme then I would suggest some of the following:

IMO, vanguard vets are way too overpriced for what they do especially when you don't give them a jump pack. For about the same price, you could get an unit of honour guard for Pedro instead; giving all your guys in the the unit PW, boltgun & boltpistols with better armor saves (plus you are keeping with your theme).

That being said, I would use the 225 pts elsewhere. Giving both your Sternguard unit a Razorbacks with LC & TL-PGs would make them more mobile and give them excellent support firepower. With the left-over points, you could pick up another Land Speeder. I would even consider a Land Speeder Storm as it keeps with your theme and can transport a squad of scouts for quick objective taking. If you do keep an assault squad to run with Pedro, then I would drop a squad of sternguard and give your other sternguard squad a razorback. With the left over points you can still grab another land speeder.

Also, I would replace the single lightning claw on your sternguard sgt for a power fist. The sgt has less need of a lighting claw as he should be focused on shooting over CC and when he does the PF will prove to be more versatile. Also the plasma gun you lose your special ammo option which you don't necessarily want to lose. So I would trade the lightning claw for a PF and the PG for a combi-weapon (dropping the meltabomb and plasma gun will give you the pts).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts